Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Should I make an upper level?

• Thread starter wigglesgiggles1
  • Start date

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
I am starting to expand my cage to a 9x3 or maybe a 10x3 (it migh just fit). So I want an upper level so that I could keep the food up there and so my bottom fleece wouldn't get so much hay on it. If I was going to make an upper level I know how I want to make the upper layout. I would make a 2x3 "loft" on each end of the 3x9. Then I would make a 1x5 "hallway" to connect the two 2x3's. Well anyway, do you think it is worth i to have an upper level. I am probably going to put the ramp against the inside of th cage wall. I don't want the ramp to take up moree space than the upper level will give. What would you do? I want an upper level but not if the ramp would take up too uch space. I will upload a picture of my cage sketch when I get a chance as it was hard to explain.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
How many pigs do you have? If only a couple, I think that a 9/10x3 would sill give them PLENTY of space! I think an upper deck is a great idea, personally.

A couple space-saving tips:

•If you have the ramp come down into the middle of the cage, pigs can still do laps around it. (Sadly, I found out this after I was done making my ramp.)

•Here's a great ramp that doesn't take up floor space:
Another cage for three boys - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

•And another:
Easy Ramps, #01 - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

One of my pigs, Snickers, LOVES to lay under the ramp. It's her favorite place to sit. So, I consider it just as a permanent hidey!

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Okay I was hoping it wouldn't be a bad idea.I have 2 boys. I may adopt two more but tthat will be a while.

Oo wish oO

Cavy Slave
My 2 boys love their ramp! When I introduced them to the ramp they looked at me like I was crazy. However, after they checked it out they spent a few days going up and down the ramp for fun! Also, I believe that ramps also provide great exercise which we know our piggies need! Any movement on an incline makes more muscles work!

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Okay I am going to put the upper level. I am taking down their old cage now and making the new one.

lissie

Cavy Slave
The cage sounds great. If you only have 2 (or 4 in the future), don't worry about space saving ramp. My boys already know how to use ramp so the ramp with the hidey on the bottom is not hard for them to get used to. It might be easier for pigs with no ramp experience to use a regular ramp that is one straight ramp.

I also think it will be very hard to clean under 2x3 lofts.

Your pigs are very lucky to have huge cage.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Well anyway, do you think it is worth it to have an upper level?

Upper levels are really nice to have. They allow for more usable space downstairs, and if used as a kitchen, keep the messy hay contained. So yes, they are worth it.

I am probably going to put the ramp against the inside of the cage wall. I don't want the ramp to take up more space than the upper level will give. What would you do? I want an upper level but not if the ramp would take up too much space.

It really depends on what type of ramp you make. I prefer the bent grid ramp, which doesn't take up too much space. (broken link removed)website sells great ramps that you could buy.

Also, with what would you support the "hallway"? That's my only concern. Otherwise, I love your loft layout! It sounds great. If I were you, I'd definitely go with that. I don't think it will take up too much space at all.

Good luck!

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
The hallway is going to be trile and error before the pigs are let on. I am going to use connectors and many zip ties to make it almost impossible for it to fall.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.