Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

wood in cage

PBJpiggiemom

Cavy Slave
Hi there! We built a ramp and landing for our piggie. Is it okay for him to chew on that? It is made of wood. What should we use for him to go up the ramp? He has trouble with it. Could we use sandpaper?
Jenn

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
To answer the question if the wood is safe to chew, you need to tell us exactly what kind of wood it is and whether it was treated or not.

Sandpaper is a very bad idea. It can really hurt your piggie's little feet. Would you like to walk on sandpaper, i bet not?

You could cover the ramp and landing with carpet pieces, shelf liners, or fleece to make it less slippery.

Also, it is normal for you pig to be hesitant about the ramp, you may be able to lure him up with veggie treats after you covered the ramp with something.

Piggies are not good climbers, like rats or hamsters, you need to make sure that the ramp is covered in something that their little feet can't slip on and that the ramp is not too steep.
If you could post a picture, somebody might be able to give you some more concrete pointers.

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if the wood is safe because it depends what kind it is (like Lil' Fella's Mom said).
I've tried a wood and carpet ramp, but it just got really icky from their pee. I wouldn't recommend you making that sort of ramp unless you're positive your pig won't pee on it.

For me, towels have worked best as a ramp covering. Towels stick better than fleece and other materials.

It would be very helpful if you could post a picture of the ramp. We could maybe see where your pig might be having trouble.

PBJpiggiemom

Cavy Slave
We lowered his top level and he now has no problem. It is not pressure treated wood. Just plain old wood. But he loves it and he runs and climbs all over it. He figured out a way to get up there! He does chew on it though. But it isn't pressure treated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.