Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Lost

Justin1983

Cavy Slave
I've yet to have a Cavy, I been reading about them for years and finding how to make my own cage, I am totally lost what I can use for a top, because I have two cats that I don't want them getting in.

any Ideas. I wanna make the coroplast bottom snap grids you get from walmart. I just need a workable top for my cavies can be safe.

I live in a Small town in Canada, Any ideas were I can adopt two cavies that are not from pet shops, please and thank you :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Closet shelving works great for a top --sturdier than cubes tied together, and can be cut to any length you want it.

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
Watch out for the grids at Walmart they are normally 8 x 8 pattern which are too large of holes. They need to be 9 x 9 pattern so the pigs can't get out and the cats can't get in.

Justin1983

Cavy Slave
Awesome, thanks. I have looked all over those sites, its difficult to find them in this area without traveling out-of-province. They do have them at pet shops and I seen them a few times. they're clean, but i would rather give two cavies a good warm home to live with lots of love.

so 9 x 9 for the cubes and does it matter the thickness of the coroplast??

Justin1983

Cavy Slave
Thanks bunches!
I am writing a list of the items needed to make those cages.
Does it matter the thickness of the coroplast?

Justin1983

Cavy Slave
Which province are you in??

I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. I just got an email from SPCA in this area, refering me to the Halifax region for adoption. I will check that out.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
On the home page, where pictures come up in a sequence, there is a picture that shows the shelving with a cat sitting on it. I too have cats and dogs and I have the shelving on my c & c's. I got mine from Home Depot, in the shelving section. I took my measurements in with me and the salesman cut it to just what I needed. It was easy to adjust with sip ties. I have never had a problem with the tops and my cats do sit on them.

Justin1983

Cavy Slave
Thanks Suzi!
I will certianly check into that. We just had a Home Depot open in this area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.