PDA

View Full Version : Coughing Help needed: how much coughing is normal?

sdpiggylvr
04-06-10, 12:42 pm
My older guinea pig, Maggie is coming up on 4 years this June. She was a pet store guinea pig who we purchased out of our ignorance (never to do it again), and she had a relatively bad case of mites. She scratched and scratched till one section of her fur was completely gone and her skin was ripped up and bloody. We got her all fixed up after a vet visit and now she's healthy again.

We are due to bring her for a check-up soon, but I'm thinking about scheduling it sooner, because some of her behavior has me worried.

We gave her a big handful of orchard grass this morning and she seemed fine, but then about an hour later, she started coughing. It would be once every few minutes, not a coughing spell or anything.

Considering she's getting older, is this something to worry about? How much coughing is normal? Could she be choking on the new hay or something? I gave her a baby carrot and she stopped coughing for a while, but I'm still worried.

I'm not sure if this is normal breathing, but her sides go out unevenly in irregular patterns. Is that normal?

She's been eating, drinking, pooping and peeing, seems to have decent energy and still vocalizes. She lives in a 2x6 with a 2x1 loft with her friend, Sophia, who is perfectly healthy, as far as we know.

Sorry to ask so many questions.

pinky
04-06-10, 12:58 pm
It could also be from the hay dust. I have one that sneezes whenever I add fresh hay. When in doubt, though, I always schedule a vet visit if I'm concerned.

sdpiggylvr
04-06-10, 01:15 pm
Is it possible she's allergic to the orchard grass? We just fed it to her for the first time today, so I'm wondering if that's the case. Just to be certain, we removed the orchard grass. Later today, we'll add the orchard grass back in to see if that's what is causing the coughing.

We're also going to take her to the vet for a check-up.

Koernerpigs
04-06-10, 01:18 pm
Sometimes my Bianca (who is probably about 2yrs) does that intermittent coughing thing if she eats to enthusiastically and it usually lasts about an hour or so. Mostly after veggie time. I have heard of other pigs who cough if they eat to fast or with too much fervor. Is she going crazy for the orchard grass when you put it in her cage?

sdpiggylvr
04-06-10, 03:22 pm
Is she going crazy for the orchard grass when you put it in her cage?

Yeah, she seemed pretty excited about it. It's definitely a possibility.

Now she's doing some weird chirping thing in her throat, and I'm worried. She also does this noise when I clip her nails (which she hates). What might this be?

Ly&Pigs
04-06-10, 03:32 pm
You've already asked a question about chirping elsewhere. Please do not ask the same question in multiple places as it gets people confused.

frillint
04-06-10, 05:02 pm
Yeah, she seemed pretty excited about it. It's definitely a possibility.

Now she's doing some weird chirping thing in her throat, and I'm worried. She also does this noise when I clip her nails (which she hates). What might this be?

My guinea pig does that kind of chirping throat thing to. What does it mean.