PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

Mishy
04-04-10, 07:58 pm
Hi Everyone. I'm Mishy & live in the UK with my partner. I have 12 guinea pigs but am waiting to adopt no 13 & possibly no 14 depending on wether the rescue get a single or pair of sows.

I have 6 boars & 6 sows & they all live outside in their purpose built shed in hutches made by my partner.

Look forward to browsing the boards & chatting :)

GPigsRSweet
04-04-10, 08:06 pm
Welcome. Please DO NOT house your guinea pigs outside. This forum does not encourage that and I'm sure I won't be the only member to tell you that!

Read this:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/25502-summer-coming-should-you-house-your-guinea-pig-outside.html

dkottler
04-04-10, 08:23 pm
I am curious as to why some people have so many guinea pigs. Obviously if they are being saved from a life of mis-treatment it makes sense. But I have 2 guinea pigs, 2 children and a husband. Even with 4 humans in the house, I don't feel like our 2 guineas get enough attention. All of us love them, hold them, feed them, talk to them, brush them, pet them and play with them and I still feel like they need more interaction. I love it when my kids have a friend over as it adds more attention for them. So I cannot imagine having a dozen! I certainly could not imagine having 12 in the house. I get enough poop from 2!:eek:

GPigsRSweet
04-04-10, 08:29 pm
Yes, I'd like to encourage you to make sure your current pigs are getting the best possible care before you adopt more guinea pigs.

utsarah
04-04-10, 08:54 pm
Is this a real member, or just someone trying to get people here into an argument with them? Seems odd to me

Mishy
04-05-10, 06:12 am
Welcome. Please DO NOT house your guinea pigs outside. This forum does not encourage that and I'm sure I won't be the only member to tell you that!

Read this:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/25502-summer-coming-should-you-house-your-guinea-pig-outside.html

Thanks for the link. I have read the information but my pigs aren't outside in hutches exposed to the elements or predators.

If this is not acceptable within the rules of this forum i apologise for joining.

Mishy
04-05-10, 06:17 am
Yes, I'd like to encourage you to make sure your current pigs are getting the best possible care before you adopt more guinea pigs.

I would not compromise the care of my existing pigs. However, i thank you for your concern.

Fredo_and_co
04-05-10, 08:42 am

I am very curious to know how people can assume, that someone with 12 guinea pigs cannot give them adequate care afterall you don't know the person or there circumstances. I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Hi Mishy, welcome to the forum. Maybe you could treat us all too some pictures sometime. :)

GPigsRSweet
04-05-10, 09:01 am
I am very curious to know how people can assume, that someone with 12 guinea pigs cannot give them adequate care afterall you don't know the person or there circumstances. I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Hi Mishy, welcome to the forum. Maybe you could treat us all too some pictures sometime. :)

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be quick to judge, but when the original poster says that she keeps her guinea pigs outside in hutches, I can assume that they aren't getting the best care possible. They need to be brought inside!

Fredo_and_co
04-05-10, 09:08 am
I must admit I have read the arguement many times, bringing guinea pigs indoors now my pigs are indoors, but in the UK there are alot of rescues that have there guinea pigs living outside in heated sheds with electricity, which are properly looked after and loved. Rescues in the UK will even house pigs outdoors.

Mishy has stated she is in the UK, maybe that is the set up she has?!

GPigsRSweet
04-05-10, 09:13 am
OK, Mishy, I do understand that a lot of people in the UK leave their pigs outside. Maybe yours DO live in a heated shed. I didn't mean to be so judging, but when you said your pigs live in "hutches", I just got a picture of wooden hutches outside (not in the shelter of a shed.). Do you think you could explain to us more about your set-up? I would love to see pigtures, too!

sdpiggylvr
04-05-10, 09:26 am
Welcome to the forum!

What everyone has said above me is helpful, but I have one more thing: are the males and females separated?

Mishy
04-05-10, 10:27 am
Welcome to the forum!

What everyone has said above me is helpful, but I have one more thing: are the males and females separated?

Some sows live with a boar, however the boars are NEUTERED.

Here is a little bit about my pigs & their accommodation.

Huxley (boar) lives in a 5ft x2ft hutch.
He is almost 5yrs old & is quite happy on his own. He ex-cagemate did live next door with a mesh divider between their hutches so they could interact if they chose but he sadly passed on 1st Feb.
Huxley is my only petshop pig; this was before i knew rescues for guinea pigs existed

Magoo & Murray (boars) live together in a 5ft x 2ft hutch. Both free-ads pigs.
I had gone to pick up a trio of pigs for a friend, not thinking i'd come away with a pig for myself. The person who had the pigs was taking in guinea pigs & rabbits saying she was a rescue (she was not!). She was quite clearly out of her depth & had no clue how to look after guinea pigs; feeding them rabbit food. When i met Magoo i was told he was blind & so had been named Stevie Wonder (hilarious-NOT). He is NOT blind, he does have a malformed right eye (which my vet thinks is a birth defect & he may have some sight in it, his other eye is perfect).
He was nibbling the girls' hand & was promptly smacked on the head! I could not walk away without him & so he was added to my piggy family. I then needed a friend for him; along came Murray.

Haggis (boar) lives alone in a 5ft x 2ft hutch.
He is alone after fighting (wounds were inflicted). I am waiting to adopt a spayed sow to join Haggis because he was a rescue pig his true age is not known & i am not willing to risk a GA to have him neutered. Haggis' previous life wasn't great. When i met him i had never ever seen a pig so terrified of human hands, if he could've turned himself inside out he would've but patience & love bring great rewards & he is now a happy cuddly pig, no longer terrified & with the loudest wheek in the shed :)

Tait (neutered boar) & Weeble (sow) these 2 live together in a 5ft x 2ft hutch.
Tait is Haggis' previous cage-mate & as he is young, i had him neutered. Weeble came from a rescue, poor Weeble had a few litters before going into rescue & has neurological problems. She has a head tilt & wobbles when she walks & had never been fed veggies prior to going into rescue but since she's been here her love of veggies has increased (she wasn't sure at first) & her wobble is less noticeable. Her problems don't prevent her running around like a loon & whilst she doesn't like other sows she is happy with Tait.

Toddie (neutered boar) lives with Lyric, Lark, Farlie, Farrow & Fable (sows) in a 12ft x 2ft hutch.
Toddie came from rescue & did not take to other boys at all yet he craved the company of other pigs & so i had him neutered to live with my then only girl. She sadly didn't accept him & became withdrawn (she had only ever loved her man, who had sadly passed away). She thrived living alone until she passed, aged approx 5.5 last year. Thinking it unfair on Toddie to have gone through an op for nothing i adopted Lyric & Lark for him.

Farlie, Farrow & Fable were got when i was looking to add ONE girl to Toddie & co because Lark was always left out. I answered a freead which turned out to be a breeder giving up & there were 3 little sows, all born on 18th June (the day my Maddie had passed) it seemed like fate & so instead on one, all three came home with me.

dkottler
04-05-10, 11:47 am
I too was not trying to sound judgmental. I am just curious about the large numbers that some people have. I know there are some very responsible, extemely knowledgeable members here that care for (what I would consider) a large number of guinea pigs. I guess it is like children...some people want 12 and some people want 2. I know I keep finding myself on Craigslist looking at guinea pig ads for rehoming and have to stop myself because I know that I would not be able to give the attention that I think they need. But it is so tempting!

rabbitsncavyluv
04-05-10, 01:47 pm
Welcome.

Is there a reason you don't house your guinea pigs indoors?

Ibbet
04-05-10, 03:54 pm
Hello and welcome! Wow 12+ must be crazy!

What everyone else has said is helpful and I too wonder if there is a certain reason why they are housed outdoors? Guinea pigs, and most other animals, do much better housed indoors.

I would also love to see pictures of your guinea pigs and your cage setups.

Mishy
04-05-10, 05:45 pm
Hello and welcome! Wow 12+ must be crazy!

What everyone else has said is helpful and I too wonder if there is a certain reason why they are housed outdoors? Guinea pigs, and most other animals, do much better housed indoors.

I would also love to see pictures of your guinea pigs and your cage setups.

Crazy about pigs yes, crazy in the head .. debatable!

My pigs (& rabbits) are housed outdoors in a shed because there isn't the room for them indoors. We have dogs & therefore they need their own room; we don't have a spare room for them.
My shed incidently is almost as big as the whole downstairs of our house. It is 25ft long x 11ft wide at its widest point with an aviary type run attached to both ends. This makes the whole structure approx 37ft x 11ft. However, my big run is being extended again which will give them approx 24ft x 14ft.

I can of course post pics of my pigs & know i can post pics of their runs but i am not sure if pics of my shed & hutches would be allowed.

Ly&Pigs
04-05-10, 08:45 pm
Is the shed heated/cooled? If so then it would be appropriate. If not then you may want to do something about it.

You can post photos here in the thread, but not in your personal galleries or the photo galleries.

Note to members: Please don't go assuming things and get facts before making judgments. We ask that member do not assume anything but ask questions instead. Making assumptions can get you into trouble.

GPigsRSweet
04-05-10, 08:51 pm
Thanks Mishy for explaining!! I'm very sorry I assumed things and didn't ask questions first. If your shed is heated, it would be a fine place for a pig to live. I'd love to see pictures! I do hope you'll post some. You sound like you have some beautiful pigs.

I think you'll find this site very helpful and informative for both you and your pigs. Again, welcome!

LightningPig1
04-05-10, 09:29 pm
Welcome! I hope you find this sight very useful! Its been to me so far even though I've only been here for a few days!

Mishy
04-06-10, 09:41 am
The shed.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Shed0289.jpg

In winter an oil filled radiator (if needed) is used. All hutch fronts have thick woollen curtains at them & all the pigs hideys are covered with fleece blankets.
The shed as you can see is not shop bought; it was made by my partner & has been extended as my piggy family required & therefore does not have glass windows. The windows are meshed with cage mesh & fly screens have been added. In winter thick plastic is pinned up on the outsides & fleece on the insides to prevent draughts.

In summer a large fan (if needed) is used. All window coverings (except the fly screens) are also removed. At all hutch fronts i hang hand-wrung wet towels & each pig has a frozen water bottle within a sock to lay against should they choose.

The Big Run (which is being extended as i type)
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Run0289.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Run1289.jpg

Mishy
04-06-10, 09:43 am
The hutches

The boys' block
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Hutches6410.jpg

Tait & Weebles
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/TaitWeebleHutch6410.jpg

Toddie & his group's ( Top L-shaped)
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/BigHutch6410.jpg

Sirene
04-06-10, 10:09 am
I think your setup looks great! I love your big run!

Welcome to the forum - it sounds like you are a very dedicated guinea pig owner who is prepared to go to huge lengths to make sure your pigs are well cared-for. I'd love to see close-up pics of your pigs!

(Being originally from the UK, I'm very used to seeing guinea pigs housed like this - rightly or wrongly, they are not really considered "exotics" in the UK and are kept the same way as rabbits. My childhood guinea pigs and rabbits (yes, some housed together, unfortunately) had the same setup.)

GPigsRSweet
04-06-10, 11:39 am
Woah! :eye-poppi I love your run!! Your cages are also very nice!! I also would like to see some pig pictures! I'm sorry I every thought you weren't providing good care for you pigs - I take that back. I DO hope you'll adopt more pigs!

GuineaMom
04-06-10, 11:39 am
Wow! That setup is great. Those pigs are very lucky. I do not see anything wrong with the way you are housing them as long as the temperature is okay.

Welcome to the forum!

Rodneysmom
04-06-10, 11:41 am
I love you cage set-up the pigs definately have tons of room.

Ibbet
04-06-10, 11:46 am
Crazy about pigs yes, crazy in the head .. debatable!

My pigs (& rabbits) are housed outdoors in a shed because there isn't the room for them indoors. We have dogs & therefore they need their own room; we don't have a spare room for them.
My shed incidently is almost as big as the whole downstairs of our house. It is 25ft long x 11ft wide at its widest point with an aviary type run attached to both ends. This makes the whole structure approx 37ft x 11ft. However, my big run is being extended again which will give them approx 24ft x 14ft.

I can of course post pics of my pigs & know i can post pics of their runs but i am not sure if pics of my shed & hutches would be allowed.

Oh, I just meant it must be crazy to have so many, hehe.
I didn't mean anything by it. ;)

Your shed looks great, I love how it has a run attached. Just out of curiosity how often are they allowed out on it?
Your piggies seem spoiled and it must be awesome to have a partner who can and will build things like that for the piggies.

Oh and I would also love to see close ups of your little guys and gals.

Kitara_CavyMom
04-06-10, 11:53 am
Wonderful setup, tons of room, and sounds like you do a very good job of keeping their temperature regulated. I wish I had the room to do an outdoor play area like yours for them! Sadly I live in an apartment - no private front lawn and pesticides all over. :( Those piggies must be some of the happiest though! Their own personal house all to themselves!

sdpiggylvr
04-06-10, 11:58 am
I still think the pigs should be inside with you, where they'll receive more attention and will be closer to your life, instead of isolated in a shed outside.

The cavies might be warm and have a large home in the shed, but that's only part of providing a good life for your guinea pigs. I'm positive that your attention and love is just as (or more) important.

VoodooJoint
04-06-10, 12:30 pm
I agree with sdpiggylvr. To me, a shed is a place where you keep garden tools and garbage cans, not where one keeps cherished pets. Looking at that shed, I would not want to sleep in it (and I'm not all that particular of a person). It looks dim, damp and "buggy" to me--maybe I'm wrong but that is the impression I get from the pictures.

I would not want my small, domestic pets to be living outside the house. I would constantly be worried about them because if something happens to them (such as illness or injury) it could be hours and hours before anyone checked on them. Plus, I would not be able to notice the subtle changes in behaviour that signals the beginning of a problem.

I also have to wonder what kind of oil is used in that radiator that was mentioned. Most heating oils can cause carbon monoxide poisoning if not properly ventilated PLUS there is no way that a flame should be anywhere near all of that hay. If that shed caught fire the animals would be dead before anyone even realized there was a problem.

GPigsRSweet
04-06-10, 12:38 pm
Thank you VJ and Sdpiggylvr! I was curious about that myself earlier - I was thinking that they should also be inside as more of a family pet. I think that the shed is a very nice one, but would be the best if they could be inside. I thought that would be the bigger response from the members here. I do LOVE the outdoor run, though!

MissSofi
04-06-10, 12:41 pm
It looks to me like you are doing a great job, Considering your home is small. I also think it's admirable that you are taking in piggies and giving them adequate space considering you don't have much space yourself and most people out there Know no better than to keep there piggies in pet store cages. If the piggies you are adopting were once kept in those "typical" conditions they must think they are in heaven now. Though I do agree that indoors is the best place for a delicate little piggy, so long as they are getting the best of care and attention, out door liveing cant get much better than this.:)

LightningPig1
04-06-10, 12:58 pm
Awesome! I bet your piggies love it! What a great place.

sdpiggylvr
04-06-10, 01:10 pm
Another concern I have: the outdoor run is open-topped. I'm not sure about what kinds of predatory birds you have where you live, but it's an easy meal for a hawk or eagle.

ETA: Never mind, I just realized the run is indeed covered. Sorry about that. Just looking out for your piggies. :heart:

Mishy
04-06-10, 01:26 pm
I still think the pigs should be inside with you, where they'll receive more attention and will be closer to your life, instead of isolated in a shed outside.

The cavies might be warm and have a large home in the shed, but that's only part of providing a good life for your guinea pigs. I'm positive that your attention and love is just as (or more) important.

As i have previously stated we have dogs & no spare room to house the pigs. However, if i were lucky to have a spare room this is where they would have to be to ensure their safety from the dogs.

Lets say they are now indoors they'd still be isolated, in the room in my home.

Would they receive more attention purely because they are indoors?

Where are the guarantees that indoor pigs receive more attention than outdoor pigs based solely on WHERE they live?

Surely it isn't where the pigs live but who gives their care?

Do people who have pigs in a room within their homes spend every waking moment in that room? I think not.

I take on board everyones comments regarding indoor housing but it is not always so black & white & is dependant on individual people's circumstances.
I also live in the UK where the weather is different, the houses aren't so spacious & rescues do house their pigs outdoors & not necessarily in sheds.

You may not agree with where my pigs live but this does not mean they are not looked after.
If my pigs didn't get my attention & love they would be dead. I am their sole care giver, if i didn't have a bond with them i'd not notice the slight changes in their behaviour that can indicate illness nor would they see a vet when needed.

My pigs are rarely ill. My boy who's almost 5 (i've had him from 9wks old) has never seen a vet in his life - i must be doing something right!

If i didn't look after them i'd not know that one of my pigs has a rare condition called Osseous Metaplasia.
The opthalmologist his case was referred to had never seen it in a guinea pig & whilst there is nothing that can be (done except remove the eye should it become a problem to him) he is a happy chubby pig.

Mishy
04-06-10, 01:30 pm
Another concern I have: the outdoor run is open-topped. I'm not sure about what kinds of predatory birds you have where you live, but it's an easy meal for a hawk or eagle.

ETA: Never mind, I just realized the run is indeed covered. Sorry about that. Just looking out for your piggies. :heart:

I'm glad you've realised the run is meshed.
I am in the UK, in a suburb, very rarely are there birds of prey around. However, the run was meshed because of magpies. They had flocked together in a nearby tree & spooked the pigs (i was in the run at the time) & this worried me; all pigs were quickly removed & the run was immediately adapted to have a roof & meshed.
I take no chances with the safety of them regardless of the fact they are never in their run unsupervised.
I am well aware a bird can swoop far faster than i can move.

Paula
04-06-10, 01:49 pm
Hi Mishy and welcome to the forum.

I certainly agree that it's ideal to keep your pigs indoors, and would recommend you do the same if you can find a way to do so.

That said, I think it's very obvious that you really care about your pigs and take good care of them. I agree with your point on there certainly being some owners who have their pigs indoors and still miss things. In fact I know of a person who has several guinea pigs that she keeps in her basement and she has several deaths in any given month for "unknown reasons." Her pigs are in the house, technically, but that doesn't mean she's giving them the best care. So I can appreciate the sentiment that it depends on the situation.

Being outdoors, though, they are still subject to a number of predators (including humans) that you might want to take into consideration. I don't think it looks all that uncomfortable but I do wonder about the safety of the setup.

I am just curious about the large numbers that some people have. I know there are some very responsible, extemely knowledgeable members here that care for (what I would consider) a large number of guinea pigs. I guess it is like children...some people want 12 and some people want 2. I know I keep finding myself on Craigslist looking at guinea pig ads for rehoming and have to stop myself because I know that I would not be able to give the attention that I think they need. But it is so tempting!I also wanted to address this, because in a lot of cases for those of us (including myself) that have numerous guinea pigs, it's not a case of "wanting" as many as we have. I have been put in the situation of having many guinea pigs due to a number of reasons (like two healthy young males being dumped at my vet's office for euthanasia to teach a child a lesson) and because I'm able and willing to care for them, I am doing so.

I just wanted to point out that it's not necessarily that someone sets out to have 12 or however many guinea pigs. It's sometimes a matter of them needing a good (permanent) home and you being in a position to provide it.

Mishy
04-06-10, 01:52 pm
I agree with sdpiggylvr. To me, a shed is a place where you keep garden tools and garbage cans, not where one keeps cherished pets. Looking at that shed, I would not want to sleep in it (and I'm not all that particular of a person). It looks dim, damp and "buggy" to me--maybe I'm wrong but that is the impression I get from the pictures.

I would not want my small, domestic pets to be living outside the house. I would constantly be worried about them because if something happens to them (such as illness or injury) it could be hours and hours before anyone checked on them. Plus, I would not be able to notice the subtle changes in behaviour that signals the beginning of a problem.

I also have to wonder what kind of oil is used in that radiator that was mentioned. Most heating oils can cause carbon monoxide poisoning if not properly ventilated PLUS there is no way that a flame should be anywhere near all of that hay. If that shed caught fire the animals would be dead before anyone even realized there was a problem.

Pictures can be deceiving. The shed is not dim (it has an electricity supply & light) nor damp (it is insulated) but does have the odd spiders web (the same as my house) so could be deemed "buggy."

The pigs hutches are also insulated & this is where they live; they don't free-range round the shed.
In the UK wheelie bins (garbage cans) are kept in our gardens & in our case all gardening equipment etc is kept in our garage because our other shed is where i keep the pigs' supplies. Bedding, hay etc.

I am not "anyone." My pigs are never left for hours & hours except for when i am asleep which would be the same for indoor pigs or do those of you with indoor pigs not sleep?

If you know your pigs, know their personalities, their little traits then choose wherever they are housed you will know wether they aren't quite right & take appropriate action. This knowledge can only be gained by interacting with your pigs & ensuring they are cared for.

Nowhere can i find information on the type of oil used in the radiators available but there is no flame, they are plugged into the electricity supply.
If you look at the shed there are 2 arched panels that form 2 of its walls; the tops are meshed & allow adequate ventilation & I am fully aware of the risks of fire & hay & this is the main reason why the radiator is only used when absolutely necessary. The risk of an electrical fault, which could also cause a spark is equal to both shed & house.

Mishy
04-06-10, 02:04 pm
Being outdoors, though, they are still subject to a number of predators (including humans) that you might want to take into consideration. I don't think it looks all that uncomfortable but I do wonder about the safety of the setup.

Thanks for the welcome. You address a valid point & one which is at the forefront of my mind.

The shed has been modified quite a few times & effectively has 3 doors; one each end & one in the middle.
The middle door which is visible in the photo (was the main access door) is padlocked & screwed shut from the inside with a wheelie bin behind it, full of food.
The main access door is a stable door which bolts at the bottom on the inside & the top locks with a key.
The other door (another stable type) is also padlocked from the inside & is within the run; this too is padlocked.
Having said all this if someone really wanted to get in they would, the same as they'd get into my house.

However, if you do have any security tips i would be interested.

Sirene
04-06-10, 02:09 pm
Although Mishy is obviously very capable of defending herself (himself?), I just wanted to point out a couple of things about the differences between the US and the UK, which might explain why I think Mishy's setup is a good one.

In the UK, there are no venomous bugs or spiders, and only one species of poisonous snake (I personally have never seen one, despite having lived there for 30 years). Birds of prey are rare, although as Mishy says, magpies and crows can "mob" other birds and animals. The climate is not as extreme as it is in some parts of the US (if it reaches 80 degrees in summer, it will make newspaper headlines), and oil-filled radiators are a very common and safe method of heating houses in winter. They have no open flame and the oil cannot leak out. I've personally lived in houses where this is the only type of heating available.

Guinea pigs are often kept outside, in runs or outdoor housing. I'm not saying that this is ideal. I'm saying it's the norm. In my opinion, Mishy has gone several steps further than this in providing a heated, lit, ventilated and insulated shed with big hutches and an open (covered) grass run for her pigs.

It is also not usual for pets (or people!) in the UK to attend annual medical checkups. The fact that one of Mishy's pigs has seen a veterinary opthalmologist is, to me, extremely impressive and shows a high level of concern for her pets' welfare.

Sirene
04-06-10, 02:13 pm
Thanks for the welcome. You address a valid point & one which is at the forefront of my mind.

The shed has been modified quite a few times & effectively has 3 doors; one each end & one in the middle.
The middle door which is visible in the photo (was the main access door) is padlocked & screwed shut from the inside with a wheelie bin behind it, full of food.
The main access door is a stable door which bolts at the bottom on the inside & the top locks with a key.
The other door (another stable type) is also padlocked from the inside & is within the run; this too is padlocked.
Having said all this if someone really wanted to get in they would, the same as they'd get into my house.

However, if you do have any security tips i would be interested.

Hi Mishy! Would it be possible to fit some kind of burglar alarm to the shed? Obviously you'd want to avoid something with a huge siren that would terrify the pigs, but perhaps there's something that could alert you inside the house to anyone messing around outside? Even a motion-detected light mounted on the shed would be a deterrent to potential trouble-makers.

Mishy
04-06-10, 02:25 pm
I have referred to them as "the pigs" so now will formally introduce them.

Huxley
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Huxley023109.jpg

Haggis
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Haggis123109.jpg

Magoo & Murray
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/MagooMurray023109.jpg

Mishy
04-06-10, 02:25 pm
Weeble & Tait
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/WeebleTait16410.jpg

Lark & Toddie
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/LarkToddie023109.jpg

Lyric & Toddie
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/LyricToddie123109.jpg

Mishy
04-06-10, 02:26 pm
Farlie, Farrow & Fable
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/FableFarrowFable123109.jpg

sdpiggylvr
04-06-10, 02:26 pm
Mishy, you don't have to take things personally. Also, you don't have to be defensive about your ways. We're just offering our opinions and suggestions, and you can either take it or leave it. This forum is all about providing the best care possible, and we're just trying to explain ways in which you could do that.

In the UK, there are no venomous bugs or spiders, and only one species of poisonous snake (I personally have never seen one, despite having lived there for 30 years). Birds of prey are rare, although as Mishy says, magpies and crows can "mob" other birds and animals. The climate is not as extreme as it is in some parts of the US (if it reaches 80 degrees in summer, it will make newspaper headlines), and oil-filled radiators are a very common and safe method of heating houses in winter. They have no open flame and the oil cannot leak out. I've personally lived in houses where this is the only type of heating available. Guinea pigs are often kept outside, in runs or outdoor housing. I'm not saying that this is ideal. I'm saying it's the norm. In my opinion, Mishy has gone several steps further than this in providing a heated, lit, ventilated and insulated shed with big hutches and an open (covered) grass run for her pigs.

Regardless of set-up, climate, or outdoor risks, my personal opinion is that guinea pigs (and all companion animals) should be kept inside with you. This is where they'll most likely receive the most attention and love. You can also check up on the pigs frequently without having to leave the comfort of your own home. It's accessible and more comfortable for the pigs, and for you.

While this may not be the best option for you, Mishy, that is what I would do. It's really a matter of personal choice.

I hope you see my perspective.

By the way, your guinea pigs are really cute! :cheerful:

Mishy
04-06-10, 02:30 pm
Hi Mishy! Would it be possible to fit some kind of burglar alarm to the shed? Obviously you'd want to avoid something with a huge siren that would terrify the pigs, but perhaps there's something that could alert you inside the house to anyone messing around outside? Even a motion-detected light mounted on the shed would be a deterrent to potential trouble-makers.

We have a motion-detector light mounted above the kitchen window which shines directly onto the main access door of the shed.

Our back garden is rather secluded anyway & we have the added deterrent of 3 dogs, who bark at the slightest sound. The burglar alarm is a good idea but we never installed one for the same reason you've stated; the noise.

I don't know how to "thank" posts but would like to say thank you for your post above, i appreciate it. :)

Also i am female; my name is Niki. I chose the username Mishy in honour of my recently departed pig Hamish who was affectionately called Mishy.

Mishy
04-06-10, 02:44 pm
Mishy, you don't have to take things personally. Also, you don't have to be defensive about your ways. We're just offering our opinions and suggestions, and you can either take it or leave it. This forum is all about providing the best care possible, and we're just trying to explain ways in which you could do that.

Regardless of set-up, climate, or outdoor risks, my personal opinion is that guinea pigs (and all companion animals) should be kept inside with you. This is where they'll most likely receive the most attention and love. You can also check up on the pigs frequently without having to leave the comfort of your own home. It's accessible and more comfortable for the pigs, and for you.

While this may not be the best option for you, Mishy, that is what I would do. It's really a matter of personal choice.

I hope you see my perspective.

By the way, your guinea pigs are really cute! :cheerful:

I was judged by some on one post & comments have been made made that weren't necessarily correct.
I am of course going to defend myself & correct those comments. I do not however, defend the way i look after my pigs as i KNOW they are loved & well looked after.
Of course i see your perspective & by the same token i hope you see mine.

Thank you for your kind comment regarding my pigs themselves, who are after all the most important :)

FlowersGrandma
04-06-10, 03:07 pm
We heat our house in the winter with a fireplace that uses propane. We have carbon monoxide detectors. Mishy, do you have those in the shed? They are for our protection and are very cheap. Just looking at the pictures the shed looked pretty air tight and comfortable to me. If she added a heating and AC unit, it would be quite nice. We have no idea how much time each day she spends with the piggies in their shed, or how much time they spend in the house with her. My mom raised rabbits before and kept them in a shed similar to this. It was very warm in the winter time and cool in the summer. The rabbits stayed dry and clean. Their hutches were cleaned regularly. Just because the shed wasn't in her living room didn't mean mom didn't spend time with her rabbits.

Sirene
04-06-10, 03:47 pm
No problem, Mishy! You probably can't thank users for posts yet - you just won't have that button till you get to a higher forum level (i think Cavy Slave?). I appreciate it, though! :-) I just think it's a shame when an exemplary setup (or exemplary efforts) aren't recognised as such because people are unaware of cultural norms or what is available in different places.

Your piggies are beautiful and are obviously receiving first-class care. And your Haggis is PERFECTLY named! :-)

Mishy
04-06-10, 04:55 pm
We heat our house in the winter with a fireplace that uses propane. We have carbon monoxide detectors. Mishy, do you have those in the shed?

I don't at the moment but thank you for advising; this is something i will do.

Mishy
04-06-10, 05:00 pm
No problem, Mishy! You probably can't thank users for posts yet - you just won't have that button till you get to a higher forum level (i think Cavy Slave?). I appreciate it, though! :-) I just think it's a shame when an exemplary setup (or exemplary efforts) aren't recognised as such because people are unaware of cultural norms or what is available in different places.

Your piggies are beautiful and are obviously receiving first-class care. And your Haggis is PERFECTLY named! :-)

Thanks very much. The rescue he was at (in Gretna, Scotland) were looking for names for him. Haggis popped into my head & that was it!
Once i'd named him & read his story i had no option but to adopt him.

Ibbet
04-06-10, 05:01 pm
Aw! All of your piggies are just adorable! Way too cute!
I absolutely love Huxley! I so wanna steal him, hehe.

leyley904
04-06-10, 08:28 pm
Woah! Farlie (or whichever pig is on the far left of the last picture) totally just melted my heart! I also LOVE LOVE LOVE your shed! The word shed makes me think of some dusty, gross, simple building. But yours if beautiful!

Many people (including me) see/hears outdoor hutch and automatically think that the pigs aren't receiving optimum care. You have to admit, most of the time if an animal lives outside it will be more "out of the way" and receive less attention. You obviously spend lots of time with your piggies and are an exception. There have been many stories here of piggies kept outside and either died or lived a pretty miserable life. But, you seemed to take all of these pressing quesions is great stride! It's very obvious that you have thought through everything and made the choice that is best for you and your piggers. I don't see them having that big of cages in one room, that's for sure!

I hope to hear more stories and adventures from you about your upcoming adoptions and your current pigs!

Oh, one question. I'm assuming your very handy partner built the cages themselves also? Do you just build them as they are needed, or do you have the shed filled with them ready to be claimed by pigs? How many pigs do you think you could keep in your current shed without having to expand the outside walls? Oh, and how much time do the piggers get in the run (also beautiful)?

SnowPrincess
04-06-10, 11:49 pm
Hi and welcome!

Whilst I agree that piggies should be kept indoors, I do admire the grace you keep in defending your choice. :) I won't comment on piggies being outside, as everyone has already said what I were thinking.

Huxley has totally stolen my heart! I better tell my girlfriend to move on over...I'm very interested in long distance relationship. ;) He he just kidding. All your piggie are beautiful!

Mishy
04-07-10, 05:29 am
Oh, one question. I'm assuming your very handy partner built the cages themselves also? Do you just build them as they are needed, or do you have the shed filled with them ready to be claimed by pigs? How many pigs do you think you could keep in your current shed without having to expand the outside walls? Oh, and how much time do the piggers get in the run (also beautiful)?

Thank you for your comments regarding my shed.
My partner makes the hutches as i need them. The shed has changed many many times over the years & hutches have been extended, demolished & new ones built.
Because i have health issues they are all now at waist height (& above) to enable me to clean them out easily.

No more hutches will be added but there is room to add more.
If i were to have the shed as an empty shell & start again i could easily have 2 x 12ft hutches + 10 x 5ft hutches. However, this is not something i will be doing. I know my limits.

The pigs go in the run every day, weather permitting.

NB: The piggy you've fallen for is Fable. L-R: Fable, Farrow, Farlie. My apologies to you & my pigs :)

Mishy
04-07-10, 05:33 am
Hi and welcome!

Whilst I agree that piggies should be kept indoors, I do admire the grace you keep in defending your choice. :) I won't comment on piggies being outside, as everyone has already said what I were thinking.

Huxley has totally stolen my heart! I better tell my girlfriend to move on over...I'm very interested in long distance relationship. ;) He he just kidding. All your piggie are beautiful!

Thank you. Huxley has quite a fan club but he doesn't let it go to his head :D

Mishy
04-07-10, 01:10 pm
Is this a real member, or just someone trying to get people here into an argument with them? Seems odd to me

I have only just seen your post & can assure you i wasn't trying to engage in an argument with anyone.

As you are aware all new members posts are moderated & therefore do not show immediately.

Rodneysmom
04-07-10, 02:13 pm
I love all your piggies, Im so jealous I would love to be able to have more piggies like you do butI have no more room left. :( I Love Huxley and Magoo but Abbies have a special place in my heart. And I love Webble expression in his pigture!

Ferny
04-07-10, 02:57 pm
Hi Niki!! Love your set up and love your pigs as you know! Especially the Huxter!

frashy
04-07-10, 03:35 pm
Wow, your pigs basicly have a whole house of their own! That's such a pretty shed, I love it! I personaly have to house my piggies indoors (since I live in Wisconsin in the US...bad winters, wet spring, lots of thunderstorms in the summer, and very cold fall..I wouldn't be able to house them out there. Not to mention all the hawks, foxes, and other predators!) It inspires me to build a sweet run for when its a good enough day for them to be outside.

Your pigs are all precious, it's impossible to pick a favorite!

Fredo_and_co
04-07-10, 06:47 pm
Would they receive more attention purely because they are indoors?

Where are the guarantees that indoor pigs receive more attention than outdoor pigs based solely on WHERE they live?

Surely it isn't where the pigs live but who gives their care?

Do people who have pigs in a room within their homes spend every waking moment in that room? I think not.

Hi Mishy,

I thought you made some Valid points, who is to say indoor pigs get more attention. Over the years I have heard of many animals being neglected regardless of were they live.

The only person that makes the difference is the carer and to be quite frank I would happily live in your shed it looks amazing and you can tell your pigs are truely loved.

In answer to your last question I have heard alot of people say how will you know if your pigs get ill to be fair if I'm at work or in bed I'm not going to hear my pigs, so I wouldn't be able to help them and they are indoor pigs thankfully nothing has ever happened, but I wouldn't say its much different from them being in shed technically I still have to go into there room to see them, just like you have to go into your shed!

I do look forward to hearing alot more about your pigs, lovely to meet such a dedicated owner.

NanSm4
04-07-10, 10:35 pm
Wow that is quite a setup! Let me know when I can take Magoo off your hands. ;) All of your pigs look absolutely adorable! Very well loved.

MissSofi
04-08-10, 11:29 am
Just thought I would mention that I LOVE the "F Triplets", they are precious.

VoodooJoint
04-08-10, 04:54 pm
I thought you made some Valid points, who is to say indoor pigs get more attention. Over the years I have heard of many animals being neglected regardless of were they live. That is a weak argument at best. Of course there is no guarantee that an animal indoors will get more attention. However, it is LIKELY to get more attention. Outside animals are often forgotten and ignored when caring for them is inconvenient. An animal, living inside, in the main area of the home, is harder to ignore. There is a reason that we don't advocate GPs being housed in kids' rooms, basements, garages, in sheds, or outside. It's because they are more likely to be neglected and some of those locations are also dangerous.

How about if you consider that there are 2 different sets of GPs. Both sets are getting the exact same level of care but one set is living outside the home, in a shed, and the other set is living inside the main living area of a home. The fact is that the one's living inside the home are receiving better, safer, healthier care and will live more enjoyable lives because they have a household of activity to watch and their humans will interact with them more often because the humans live INSIDE the home WITH their pets.

I will never consider the keeping of small animals in a shed, no matter how "nice", to be adequate care.

Mishy
04-12-10, 10:32 am
That is a weak argument at best.
In your opinion, of which you are naturally entitled to as is Fred & Co

Of course there is no guarantee that an animal indoors will get more attention.
We agree on something.

However, it is LIKELY to get more attention. Outside animals are often forgotten and ignored when caring for them is inconvenient.
This is, in my opinion, down to the individual giving the care & NOT solely on where the pig(s) are living; generalisations should not be made as we are all different.

An animal, living inside, in the main area of the home, is harder to ignore. There is a reason that we don't advocate GPs being housed in kids' rooms, basements, garages, in sheds, or outside. It's because they are more likely to be neglected and some of those locations are also dangerous.
In "theory" i agree they would be harder to ignore but there will still be those pigs who are in the main living area & who are still ignored. This is, yet again, dependant on whom is giving the care.

How about if you consider that there are 2 different sets of GPs. Both sets are getting the exact same level of care but one set is living outside the home, in a shed, and the other set is living inside the main living area of a home. The fact is that the one's living inside the home are receiving better, safer, healthier care and will live more enjoyable lives because they have a household of activity to watch and their humans will interact with them more often because the humans live INSIDE the home WITH their pets.

If both are receiving the exact same level of care how can the ones living inside be receiving better care?

Safer care; debatable. It'd depend on the shed & where it was situated (ie area & country). Their safety would also depend on wether the indoor home had other pets & wether those pets were also allowed into the main living area.
Healthier care; again debatable. My pigs are perfectly healthy & yet i have known people with indoor pigs who have either had a bad run of luck or are neglectful because their pigs caught a bug which killed half.
Indoor pigs do get ill. Health boards on forums are full of threads posted by those with indoor pigs.

Where is the information to state that guinea pigs enjoy watching household activities? I am genuinely interested.
The fact their sight isn't their best sense i wouldn't have thought they'd be able to see very much or that they'd be remotely interested in what their human(s) were doing unless of course it benefited them.
Interaction between pig & human is dependant on the pig; some enjoy being picked up & stroked/cuddled where others hate it.
If this is the case why would anyone wish to put their pig through this for their own personal gratification?
Is a pig not far happier interacting & conversing with it's own kind? Is this not why it is advised they be kept in pairs/groups?

I will never consider the keeping of small animals in a shed, no matter how "nice", to be adequate care.

I respect your decision. However, what is right for you, is not necessarily right for someone else; each to their own.
Your opinion is yours but until you actually physically see the small animals within their environment (wether indoors or outdoors) i don't see how you are in a position to judge.

VoodooJoint
04-12-10, 11:54 am
This is, in my opinion, down to the individual giving the care & NOT solely on where the pig(s) are living; generalisations should not be made as we are all different.If you noticed I said "no guarantees" and only that they are "LIKELY" to get more attention. I never said that indoor kept animals will absolutely get better care.

By the way, my last post was not about you. It was about the general idea of housing outdoors. I fully realize that you are happy with how you care for your animals and have no intention on changing your method of care and keeping. I have no intention of trying to persuade you as you can care for your animals however you wish as long as you meet the minimum requirements of care as outlined by law.

If you noticed though, this site is about INDOOR housing. The idea of outdoor housing will not go unaddressed on this site as we do not wish to, in any way, encourage members to put their animals outdoors.

If both are receiving the exact same level of care how can the ones living inside be receiving better care?I thought you would understand... I will clarify if I must.

By "same level of care" I mean; same size/quality housing, same food/hay/veggies, same bedding, same accessories, same feeding/water schedule.

Safer care; debatable. It'd depend on the shed & where it was situated (ie area & country). Their safety would also depend on wether the indoor home had other pets & wether those pets were also allowed into the main living area.I have heard of many more incidents of people breaking into outdoor sheds and hutches to steal/injure animals then I have heard of people breaking into homes. Therefore, statistically, indoors is safer.

I have also heard or far more incidents of animals attacking or attempting to attack animals housed outdoors then ones housed indoors. Household pets can harm each other both inside and outside and their humans are responsible for their behaviour. Since a stray dog, cat, bird is unlikely to actually enter a house to kill a pet housed indoors I have to come to the conclusion, again, that indoors is safer.

Healthier care; again debatable. My pigs are perfectly healthy & yet i have known people with indoor pigs who have either had a bad run of luck or are neglectful because their pigs caught a bug which killed half.
Indoor pigs do get ill. Health boards on forums are full of threads posted by those with indoor pigs.Of course indoor pigs get sick and of course the health boards are full of inquiries about more indoor animals then outdoor. Have you wondered why that is? I can clue you in. It's because, in general, humans tend to notice illness among their indoor animals quicker and actually go the extra mile to seek help when they need it then people who house outdoors do. Often by the time a pig outdoors is found to be ill it's too late to help them or they are simply found dead.

I believe you when you say that your animals are healthy and well taken care of. I also believe that if we were both to go check on our animals at the same time and then go and sit down at the kitchen table to have dinner I would hear if my GPs suddenly got into a big fight or started panicking over something. I don't think you would. I also don't think that as you sit at your computer to reply to me that you can see your animals. I can. When I sit to watch T.V. or a movie with my family my animals are where I can see and hear them. It's the same when I go to bed.

You do not offer your animals the same level of care and watchfulness as I do. Unless you live, eat and sleep in that shed with them it is impossible.

Where is the information to state that guinea pigs enjoy watching household activities? I am genuinely interested.
The fact their sight isn't their best sense i wouldn't have thought they'd be able to see very much or that they'd be remotely interested in what their human(s) were doing unless of course it benefited them.No, sight isn't their strong suit. But they aren't blind either. I assume they would find movement and activity more stimulating then a quite shed with unchanging walls. I also know that when my GPs hear me in the fridge, especially if they hear me open the crisper, they start wheeking for treats (which they often get).

While I know they enjoy manipulating me (and my family) into giving them extra veggies, I cannot be certain they enjoy watching the household activity (although they certainly don't seem to mind it and one is, in fact, watching me as I type). I am simply thinking about what *I* would like. Perhaps that is wrong of me in some way but I know that I would rather have something going on then me sitting alone in a room.

Interaction between pig & human is dependant on the pig; some enjoy being picked up & stroked/cuddled where others hate it. If this is the case why would anyone wish to put their pig through this for their own personal gratification?
Interaction does not necessarily mean picking them up constantly.

Is a pig not far happier interacting & conversing with it's own kind? Is this not why it is advised they be kept in pairs/groups?Of course. However, that certainly does not mean that humans should ignore them.

You are really being rather silly. You seem to imply that I expect that animals housed inside are to be constantly poked and prodded and fussed over. I certainly don't think that and that would be impossible since everyone has lives outside their pets. I see/say hello to, my animals ever time I walk through my house. If they desire my company or a treat they wheak and peak at me and I can take a moment to stop and visit. The one that has been watching me just enjoyed a nose scritch from me and is now popcorning-- That is the sort if interaction I'm taking about.

until you actually physically see the small animals within their environment (wether indoors or outdoors) i don't see how you are in a position to judge.As I started out saying in my other post. If both animals are receiving the same basics in care standards then I can say, without a doubt at all, that the indoor animals is being taken care of better.

I'm certain you do a lovely job of caring for your animals as I have no doubt that you love them. I simply do not agree with your manner of housing and will not condone it for all of the reasons I mentioned.

Peggysu
04-12-10, 12:08 pm
What's the point of having a pet if they cannot be part of the family inside? I live in a small appartment and my dog who is a border collie mix is an indoor dog along with the piggies. I just don't understand the logic to having a pet and banishing it outside where it cannot interact with humans regularly. My pigs are here for my enjoyment and if they were outside I wouldn't be able to enjoy them.

Mishy
04-12-10, 01:08 pm
If you noticed I said "no guarantees" and only that they are "LIKELY" to get more attention. I never said that indoor kept animals will absolutely get better care.

By the way, my last post was not about you. It was about the general idea of housing outdoors. I fully realize that you are happy with how you care for your animals and have no intention on changing your method of care and keeping. I have no intention of trying to persuade you as you can care for your animals however you wish as long as you meet the minimum requirements of care as outlined by law.

You are right i am happy with how i care for my animals but i have not said i have no intention of changing. Should it be that we move to a larger house where i can have them indoors i may well do. Circumstance at the moment prevents this. I can assure you, having been home-checked by the RSPCA my care is beyond the minimum requirements set by them.

If you noticed though, this site is about INDOOR housing. The idea of outdoor housing will not go unaddressed on this site as we do not wish to, in any way, encourage members to put their animals outdoors.

I have, of course noticed & use the minimum grid requirements stated on this site to advise others, should they ask. I wouldn't expect the idea of outdoor housing to go unaddressed but there are ways of doing this without being judgemental or waiting until you have the full facts as was highlighted earlier in this thread.

I thought you would understand... I will clarify if I must.

By "same level of care" I mean; same size/quality housing, same food/hay/veggies, same bedding, same accessories, same feeding/water schedule.

I understood fully & still say it is dependant on the individual as to how big their pig's accommodation is. There are those who use vetbed in hutches, within sheds & those who house them in C & C cages within sheds.

I have heard of many more incidents of people breaking into outdoor sheds and hutches to steal/injure animals then I have heard of people breaking into homes. Therefore, statistically, indoors is safer.

I have also heard or far more incidents of animals attacking or attempting to attack animals housed outdoors then ones housed indoors. Household pets can harm each other both inside and outside and their humans are responsible for their behaviour. Since a stray dog, cat, bird is unlikely to actually enter a house to kill a pet housed indoors I have to come to the conclusion, again, that indoors is safer.

As i said previously, this is dependant on where the outdoor housing is sited & which area of your country you are in. I can only speak about my own & no stray dog, cat, bird can access my shed or run for that matter. However i am aware that a human could & i have asked on here for ideas on additional security measures.

Of course indoor pigs get sick and of course the health boards are full of inquiries about more indoor animals then outdoor. Have you wondered why that is? I can clue you in. It's because, in general, humans tend to notice illness among their indoor animals quicker and actually go the extra mile to seek help when they need it then people who house outdoors do. Often by the time a pig outdoors is found to be ill it's too late to help them or they are simply found dead.

I didn't say there were MORE enquiries regarding indoor animals, only that they were there. Again it is down to the individual caring for those animals, if you know your own, you know the slightest difference in their behaviour, it is then up to you wether you act upon it or not.
I do not believe pigs hide all illnesses, more that their human either did not notice, or chose to ignore the signs that were there.

I believe you when you say that your animals are healthy and well taken care of.
Thank You.

I also believe that if we were both to go check on our animals at the same time and then go and sit down at the kitchen table to have dinner I would hear if my GPs suddenly got into a big fight or started panicking over something. I don't think you would. I also don't think that as you sit at your computer to reply to me that you can see your animals. I can. When I sit to watch T.V. or a movie with my family my animals are where I can see and hear them. It's the same when I go to bed.

You do not offer your animals the same level of care and watchfulness as I do. Unless you live, eat and sleep in that shed with them it is impossible.

I could be flippant & say i don't sit down to dinner because we don't have the room in our tiny kitchen but I am, at the moment, on my laptop, typing from the comfort of my shed chair; i frequently sit here as i like to watch the piggies interact.
To some this would be boring; to me it is wonderful. I also agree i cannot give them the same level of watchfulness as you as i do not eat/sleep in the shed. This could also be said for the individuals who work.

No, sight isn't their strong suit. But they aren't blind either. I assume they would find movement and activity more stimulating then a quite shed with unchanging walls. I also know that when my GPs hear me in the fridge, especially if they hear me open the crisper, they start wheeking for treats (which they often get).
While I know they enjoy manipulating me (and my family) into giving them extra veggies, I cannot be certain they enjoy watching the household activity (although they certainly don't seem to mind it and one is, in fact, watching me as I type). I am simply thinking about what *I* would like. Perhaps that is wrong of me in some way but I know that I would rather have something going on then me sitting alone in a room.

My shed & it is only mine i can speak about, is quiet when i'm not there but the pigs aren't looking at walls; they can interact with the pigs on the other side, the others can look out of the windows (if they choose).

Interaction does not necessarily mean picking them up constantly.

Of course. However, that certainly does not mean that humans should ignore them.

I quite agree.

You are really being rather silly. You seem to imply that I expect that animals housed inside are to be constantly poked and prodded and fussed over. I certainly don't think that and that would be impossible since everyone has lives outside their pets. I see/say hello to, my animals ever time I walk through my house. If they desire my company or a treat they wheak and peak at me and I can take a moment to stop and visit. The one that has been watching me just enjoyed a nose scritch from me and is now popcorning-- That is the sort if interaction I'm taking about.

I am far from silly, nor have i forged an opinion of you based purely on your posts & I have not implied anything regarding YOUR expectations of animals housed indoors. I asked a question regarding the happiness of pigs.
I too enjoy the interaction you speak of.

As I started out saying in my other post. If both animals are receiving the same basics in care standards then I can say, without a doubt at all, that the indoor animals is being taken care of better.

I'm certain you do a lovely job of caring for your animals as I have no doubt that you love them. I simply do not agree with your manner of housing and will not condone it for all of the reasons I mentioned.

You are right i do love them & do care for them.
I respect your views regarding their housing but i don't appreciate the personal comment.

Mishy
04-12-10, 01:14 pm
What's the point of having a pet if they cannot be part of the family inside? I live in a small appartment and my dog who is a border collie mix is an indoor dog along with the piggies. I just don't understand the logic to having a pet and banishing it outside where it cannot interact with humans regularly. My pigs are here for my enjoyment and if they were outside I wouldn't be able to enjoy them.

Each to their own. What works for one, does not necessarily work for another.

I wasn't aware that having an animal living outdoors meant it could not interact regularly with a human. Depends on the human, does it not?

Mishy
04-12-10, 03:10 pm
On a lighter note i thought i'd post pics of the piggies new run as all building, excavating & extending is finished.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Run0289.jpg

After fence was moved
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Run16410.jpg

Today; grass seed sown & herbs planted
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Run112410.jpg

Mishy
04-12-10, 03:11 pm
The extension (cleared of plants & most of the rubbish)
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Run26410.jpg

Today
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Run212410.jpg

My viewing point
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Run512410.jpg

Mishy
04-12-10, 03:12 pm
Fully netted roof
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Run612410.jpg

Front view; can access it this way or via the shed
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/nikinakinooo/Run412410.jpg
I am hoping the grass grows but if not i will turf it. I can envisage the piggies & myself having hours of fun in here.

FlowersGrandma
04-12-10, 03:18 pm
I wish we had a safe garden area like that where they could play outside on pretty days with me in attendance. We get nice weather here, but I wouldn't want them outside because I don't have a safe enclosure. Once your plants come in, that's going to be a fun place for them to run on pretty days. But I bet they'd get some muddy feet right now. ;)

utsarah
04-12-10, 03:47 pm
Wow that is absolutely gorgeous. You must put a lot of hard work into that!!!!

MissSofi
04-12-10, 03:53 pm
Totally wish my piggies could have a garden and could get in touch with nature again.

Fredo_and_co
04-12-10, 04:23 pm
I love it!!! My pigs want to come live with you lol!!

Mishy
04-12-10, 04:42 pm
Once your plants come in, that's going to be a fun place for them to run on pretty days. But I bet they'd get some muddy feet right now. ;)

Thanks. You're not wrong, piggy wellingtons would be in order lol

Mishy
04-12-10, 04:50 pm
Wow that is absolutely gorgeous. You must put a lot of hard work into that!!!!

Thanks. My Partner did all the hard work, i just told him what i wanted & where to put things. I will be adding more hideys once the grass has, hopefully, grown.

I love it!!! My pigs want to come live with you lol!!

Thank you. You & your pigs would be welcome anytime!

VoodooJoint
04-12-10, 05:24 pm
I also agree i cannot give them the same level of watchfulness as you as i do not eat/sleep in the shed. This could also be said for the individuals who work.
Thank you for FINALLY admitting this.

Since most people work I would have to say that, in general, all animals, no matter where they are housed, could be alone for about 8 hours of the day. However, the ones that are housed inside don't have an additional 8 hours alone while we sleep, plus 2+ hours while we cook/eat, plus 2 hours while we wake/shower/dress/undress/wash-up/do chores/etc. Add that up. For an animal that lives outside they are alone for about 20 hours a day. Did you realize that?

Animals that are housed indoors are only alone for about 8 hours a day.

FlowersGrandma
04-12-10, 06:03 pm

Since most people work I would have to say that, in general, all animals, no matter where they are housed, could be alone for about 8 hours of the day. However, the ones that are housed inside don't have an additional 8 hours alone while we sleep, plus 2+ hours while we cook/eat, plus 2 hours while we wake/shower/dress/undress/wash-up/do chores/etc. Add that up. For an animal that lives outside they are alone for about 20 hours a day. Did you realize that?

Voodoo, I am in NO WAY condoning having small household animals outside, but I don't understand your math.

My cage is in my office. I cook in the kitchen, so I don't have any interaction with the pigs when I am cooking/eating (for safety reasons, don't want to burn down the house). Nor when I am sleeping/showering. So really, aren't they alone while I cook, clean house, sleep, work outside the home, etc, just as much in my office as they'd be in a shed off the back of my house. They can hear me in the kitchen, but I doubt they can in my bedroom and bathroom on the other side of our house, and I certainly couldn't hear them. If I figure correctly, they get attention in the mornings before I leave for whatever I am going to do for the day for about ten minutes. I am gone most of the day with work, shopping or household chores (even though I may be home, I am busy and not with them) they get attention from 3:30-8:30 each evening. We then put them to bed. So they get about 5 hours of real interaction from us each day, with me stopping by the cage to check in several times throughout the day which I could do even if they were in Mishy's shed just as well.
I am just trying to figure out how my piggies are really any less alone with me in and out all day than Mishy's are with her in the shed most of the day. I agree with you that GPs should be inside, but I don't see how they really get more attention just because they are. I agree it's certainly easier which is why mine are inside. (among other reasons like climate, their age...)

Mishy
04-12-10, 06:14 pm

You're welcome. However, I wasn't aware I had denied the fact & I did say "I cannot give them the same level of watchfulness as YOU."
This doesn't mean I don't/can't give them the same level as others. Everyone (including indoor owners) cares for their animals differently.

Whilst the forum may not advocate keeping them elsewhere within the home I can imagine people do keep them elsewhere. These pigs will also be on their own for a greater period than the 8 hours you state.

I don't need to realise the hour count but thanks for pointing it out; I am sure it will be invaluable to some. However, it has no bearing on my own life nor that of my pigs.

frillint
04-12-10, 07:13 pm
All of your piggies are gorgeous! I LOVE Farrow, mine:) Your shed is beautiful and I love the run! I to think piggys should be kept inside, but with what you have, you have done an amazing job. I think I would live in the shed if mine were in there I am a very paranoid person about my piggys. I have them in our living room where we are 98% of the time. I am constantly looking at them and checking even though I can see them everywhere in our house as our house is very open no walls really dividing the rooms. Great set up!

VoodooJoint
04-12-10, 08:30 pm
Voodoo, ...I don't understand your math.First, the math is "rough" I don't have actual statistics but I'm estimating as to how long the animals would be alone, in the shed vs. being alone in the house. I am classifying "alone" as "not being in the same structure" as the animals.

My cage is in my office. I cook in the kitchen, so I don't have any interaction with the pigs when I am cooking/eating ...Nor when I am sleeping/showering. So really, aren't they alone while I cook, clean house, sleep, work outside the home, etc, just as much in my office as they'd be in a shed off the back of my house. They can hear me in the kitchen, If the GPs can hear you in the kitchen then it is likely that you could hear them if a fight breaks out or they start screaming. If they were outside while you were cooking I doubt you would hear them.

For example, if you were cooking or eating with your family and one of the GPs got it's head caught in the hayrack you, or another family member in the home, would likely hear it screaming or hear it thrashing around. If the animals were alone in the shed while you were cooking you would not hear it.

but I doubt they can in my bedroom and bathroom on the other side of our house, and I certainly couldn't hear them.
You may not be able to hear them. But you definitely wouldn't hear them, if they were outside. If someone were to break into your home while you were sleeping you would likely hear it but you probably would not hear someone in the yard. Heck, neighbors of mine had their shed burn down in their yard and were completely unaware of it until we banged on their door (no animals were inside it--thank heavens). At least you would know that they were safer under your roof.

If I figure correctly, they get attention in the mornings before I leave for whatever I am going to do for the day for about ten minutes. I am gone most of the day with ... they get attention from 3:30-8:30 each evening...they get about 5 hours of real interaction from us each day, with me stopping by the cage to check in several times throughout the day which I could do even if they were in Mishy's shed just as well.You didn't state what time you left in the morning so I will say it's some time between 6 and 7am. That means you are out of the house and have left the animals alone in the structure for 8-9 hours. The rest of the time, on average, you, or some other family member, is in the home, with the animals.

Do you really think that you would take the time every day, rain or shine, heat or cold, light/dark to repeatedly stop by the cage if it was outside in a shed? Would you really peak in or be within sight/hearing as often if they were out in a shed.

During those 5 hours of interaction where would you and the pigs be? In the shed? Would you bring the animals into the home? If you did bring them in you would have to be cautious of sudden temperature changes between inside and outside as GPs don't do well with dramatic temp changes and have been know to get ill. If it was pouring out would you bring them in for their interaction? How would you do that without everyone getting soaked?

See, there is a lot more to caring for animals housed outside then many people consider and even if you don't think you are spening loads of time with your animals you are spending more time then you think when they are inside the house with you.

GPigsRSweet
04-12-10, 08:42 pm
Speaking for myself, I know I wouldn't give my pigs nearly as much attention as they get now. They are in my bedroom, so I pass by their cage often. If they were outside, I sure would give an effort to say hello to them, but I know it just wouldn't be possible to give them as much attention as I give them inside.

I wouldn't be able to notice things as well. If they were out of water or hay, I wouldn't know as quickly because I'd be inside while they were outside. I also wouldn't be able to put up some grids on my floor, and give them floor time for a few hours. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting them have floor time in their shed.

I know that personally, I couldn't do it. It wouldn't be the same.

Peggysu
04-12-10, 08:47 pm
If you don't sleep in the shed then why would you make your pets, who are dependent on you for protection, sleep outside in one?

SnowPrincess
04-12-10, 09:00 pm
Mishy, I really don't see the logic sorry. I don't understand how you can not fit your pigs inside but you can fit a shed out the back. Also, is it good for them to be squishing in that mud?

Feeorin215
04-12-10, 10:18 pm
Hi and welcome! :)

pigsforlife
04-12-10, 10:56 pm
Mishy, I really don't see the logic sorry. I don't understand how you can not fit your pigs inside but you can fit a shed out the back. Also, is it good for them to be squishing in that mud?

Whilst I definitely think that guinea pigs are better suited to the indoor life-style - they are far too fragile to live outside, I don't fully agree with this statement. We have no idea really at all, what her house looks like or what her backyard looks like (apart from the shed) and as a result, I don't think we should assume anything. Just because she has a shed out the back, doesn't say anything about the size of her house or the rest of her backyard.

Saying this, it is usually quite easy to squash in a C&C somewhere. I am renting at the moment, and this house isn't huge. Plus my dogs are inside and so the small furries have to be kept somewhere I can easily keep the dogs away from. As a result the pigs & bun are in my room. The pigs are on a table in stacked C&C's and the bun in a cage that wraps around the table - as a result, all of the main cages are in an area 90cmx180cm. The rest of my room is a bit of a play area for Charlee (bun) and is taken over by her toys but we all fit in.

As I mentioned before, I don't think guinea pigs should be housed out doors. One major reason is the weather. It can get stinking hot in the summer and quite cold in the winter. Hot weather can result in heat stroke - which is something I have seen happen to someone else's guinea pig. Unfortunately, this guinea pig didn't make it. She was too far gone and passed away on the way to the vet's. Likewise, cold weather is not good and makes them prone to illness. Additionally, the weather heavily influences what I do when I am at home. Sure if it is nice I spend some time outside. But in winter when it is cold, wet and very unpleasant I barely ever go outside. Likewise, in summer when it is stinking hot, I prefer to stay inside with the air conditioning.

I have had guinea pigs outside. It is quite common in Australia and in the UK so I can see this from both sides, however when they were outside they were not a part of the family. I fed them, I cleaned them but that was about it. I also forked out thousands in vet bills as someone was always sick. Since coming inside we have had next to no vet trips and they have become a part of the family. They yell at me when they want attention, and as they are inside I can hear them. If I am all but a minute late at giving them their tucker they let me know. They have become much more outgoing and adventurous. They all stand up at the front of the cage when I go into the room and love cuddles. They DO get a lot more attention inside. When they were outside I would chuck them their veggies and that would be it (particulary in winter). Being inside, it is easier to just stop by and giving them nose rub or a head scratch or talk to them. Due to the extra attention it is also much easier to pick up on any illnesses or when their hay is getting low or when they need new water.

I am a firm believer that all animals should be kept inside especially having seen the transformation in the guinea pigs since they have come inside. My dogs, pigs and bun are all indoor animals and I wouldn't have it any other way.

SnowPrincess
04-12-10, 11:00 pm
Just a brief reply. I'm an Australian too so...Yeah.

I will elaborate.

How can someone own a property large enough to hold a shed like that and yet their home is so small and squashed there is absolutely no way under the sun they can fit inside?

This will sound harsh, but maybe if she had two-four pigs, she could find space to keep them inside, instead of housing fourteen outside.

But as others have said, we cannot make choices for the OP. What I am concerned about is all that mud...Cannot be pleasant. :(

Fredo_and_co
04-13-10, 01:00 am

I will elaborate.

How can someone own a property large enough to hold a shed like that and yet their home is so small and squashed there is absolutely no way under the sun they can fit inside?

This will sound harsh, but maybe if she had two-four pigs, she could find space to keep them inside, instead of housing fourteen outside.

But as others have said, we cannot make choices for the OP. What I am concerned about is all that mud...Cannot be pleasant. :(

Mishy has just sowed seeds, which would say to me the guinea pigs are not out on mud. I would presume she is waiting on the grass to grow, so the pigs can go out and play.

Afterall naturally they are graziers, and it can't be good for an animal to be in 24 hours a day never getting to experience the outdoors and sunlight. Hopefully Mishy can clear this up for us? :)

pigsforlife
04-13-10, 01:21 am
Afterall naturally they are graziers, and it can't be good for an animal to be in 24 hours a day never getting to experience the outdoors and sunlight.

Likewise, it can't be good for them to be outdoors 24 hours a day, 356 days a year.

Personally, I would prefer my guinea pigs to be kept inside where I *know* they are safe then have them outside open to all sorts of potentially dangerous situations. Getting time outdoors is not imperative to their health - whilst it provides good enrichment to their lives, they will survive without it. Receiving a warm, adequate shelter inside as a part of the family is something that I believe is essential to having a happy, healthy guinea pig/s.

Having said that, many of those that do keep their guinea pigs indoors, often also get supervised play time outdoors when the weather is right. Just because they are indoor animals, where they should be and where it is safe, does not mean that they never get to "experience the outdoors and sunlight."

SnowPrincess
04-13-10, 01:21 am
Mishy has just sowed seeds, which would say to me the guinea pigs are not out on mud. I would presume she is waiting on the grass to grow, so the pigs can go out and play.

Ohh okay. I thought that was were they live. :(

Mishy
04-13-10, 06:24 am

It's fine you don't see the logic, you aren't armed with all the facts regarding UK housing & the sizes they are.

What mud are they squishing in? Are you speaking about their new run?

If you are speaking about their run, please read the comments. Their run has just been extended & grass seed sown. It is not ready for them to go on nor is the weather here warm enough as it is only April, our summer, should we be lucky enough to have one, usually starts in June.

SnowPrincess
04-13-10, 06:37 am
It's fine you don't see the logic, you aren't armed with all the facts regarding UK housing & the sizes they are.

What mud are they squishing in? Are you speaking about their new run?

If you are speaking about their run, please read the comments. Their run has just been extended & grass seed sown. It is not ready for them to go on nor is the weather here warm enough as it is only April, our summer, should we be lucky enough to have one, usually starts in June.

Actually I did read the comments. English is not my first language and I misunderstood.

Mishy
04-13-10, 06:46 am

I will elaborate.

You are making assumptions. I don't own the property. If you were to know anything about older UK council properties you would know the houses are small (however, not as small as some new builds) but some have "generous" gardens. We are lucky enough to have a "generous" garden which is why it can hold a shed of that size.

Just to clarify I do NOT have 14 pigs. I have 12.
Maybe I should return 8-10 back to rescue & squash the 2-4 you mention somewhere within the house.
Maybe the cupboard under the stairs would be suitable (which is the only storage area in this house) & put all the stuff that's in there into the shed.
Maybe this would fit with what you see as correct guinea pig care.

As I have repeatedly stated, you may not agree with where my pigs live & I respect your views, given this is an INDOOR housing forum. However, some of you are still quick to jump on every aspect of their care, including comments about mud!

The proof is in the pudding as we say and the puddings are all fit & healthy.

SnowPrincess
04-13-10, 06:53 am
On the mud thing. Again, English is not my first language, I misunderstood. I do not understand the other thing you is trying to say, so I will bow out of this thread.

SnowPrincess
04-13-10, 06:55 am
You are making assumptions. I don't own the property. If you were to know anything about older UK council properties you would know the houses are small (however, not as small as some new builds) but some have "generous" gardens. We are lucky enough to have a "generous" garden which is why it can hold a shed of that size.

This, I do understand. I live in the exact same type of house in Australia. So sorry, but I disagree with this and stick with my original theory of 'less is more.' I apologies for my comment about muds, I misunderstood.

Mishy
04-13-10, 07:17 am
This, I do understand. I live in the exact same type of house in Australia. So sorry, but I disagree with this and stick with my original theory of 'less is more.' I apologies for my comment about muds, I misunderstood.

I have stated facts regarding where I live. You have never visited my home/garden & therefore can only make a judgement based on assumption; yet again.

SnowPrincess
04-13-10, 07:27 am
I have stated facts regarding where I live. You have never visited my home/garden & therefore can only make a judgement based on assumption; yet again.

Your actual comment was I have no knowledge of these types of homes...I reiterated with well yes I do know these kind of home. Of course I do not know your personal home, nor did I ever claim to. If I did, I misspoke. I do know the type of home you are talking about. So I disagree outside is your only option based on what I know about these types of homes, not your home. I have no further argument to make.

Mishy
04-13-10, 07:46 am
Your actual comment was I have no knowledge of these types of homes...I reiterated with well yes I do know these kind of home. Of course I do not know your personal home, nor did I ever claim to. If I did, I misspoke. I do know the type of home you are talking about. So I disagree outside is your only option based on what I know about these types of homes, not your home. I have no further argument to make.

My ACTUAL comment was:
If you were to know anything about older UK council properties you would know the houses are small (however, not as small as some new builds) but some have "generous" gardens. We are lucky enough to have a "generous" garden which is why it can hold a shed of that size.

This is very different to me stating you have no knowledge.
There are various "types" of house which all look similar but which, in reality, are all different within and until you have seen the inside for yourself you can only speculate on what is actually there.

VoodooJoint
04-13-10, 08:09 am
Enough of the pettiness.

Mishy, SnowPrincess apologized for misunderstanding you since English is not her first language. Please just move on.

To understand the type of home someone has one would not need to have the blueprint or see it in person. You say it's small--we believe you. No one needs to know the exact layout of your home and you certainly do not need to nitpick over it.

You need to stop making everything personal. It seems that whenever someone makes a comment you don't like you take it as a personal affront. It isn't. Please stop trying to turn everything into a personal battle. If you continue trying to cause a fuss I will have to place this thread on moderated status or close it and I don't want to have to do that.

Mishy
04-13-10, 03:09 pm
Enough of the pettiness.

Mishy, SnowPrincess apologized for misunderstanding you since English is not her first language. Please just move on.

To understand the type of home someone has one would not need to have the blueprint or see it in person. You say it's small--we believe you. No one needs to know the exact layout of your home and you certainly do not need to nitpick over it.

You need to stop making everything personal. It seems that whenever someone makes a comment you don't like you take it as a personal affront. It isn't. Please stop trying to turn everything into a personal battle. If you continue trying to cause a fuss I will have to place this thread on moderated status or close it and I don't want to have to do that.

Assumptions regarding regarding me, my home & my pigs (these are personal remarks) have been made & either the following quote was missed or it was chosen to be ignored.

Note to members: Please don't go assuming things and get facts before making judgments. We ask that member do not assume anything but ask questions instead. Making assumptions can get you into trouble.

There are many comments on here I may not like, however I am big enough & old enough to deal with them. The writing on a computer screen in no way impinges on my life, nor do i make it personal. I leave that to others as I am well aware that the written word is so very easily misconstrued & the reader will invariably put their own emotion into the text which may not be what the creator typed with.

You will no doubt, do & say as you see fit. I can live, quite easily, with any decision you choose to make!

neko_chan
05-07-10, 11:49 am
Though I may still be new with what it takes to have a guinea pig, I do know that if I did not have the room inside my own home for a pet, I just will not get that pet. It's only a privilege to own a pet, not a right.