Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Looking for pigs in Pennsylvania

hydes_girl

Cavy Slave
Anyone have any guinea pigs for adopting in Northeastern Pa? I've looked on Pet finder and I've been checking the local paper and I haven't found any in my area.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
What part of PA are you from? I'm in that neck of the woods myself. (not Sugarloaf, I'm farther south than you are...but it's nice meeting another PA cavvy lover)
Check out some of the local shelters. You may have to do some traveling, but it'll be worth it.

hydes_girl

Cavy Slave
I live in the Hazleton/Wilkes-Barre area.I'll probably be calling the local shelter sometime this week to see what they have.

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

hydes_girl

Cavy Slave
Poohbear said:
Go to www.petfinder.com, (broken link removed), and www.guinealynx.com and go to the cavy placement page. Good Luck
Petfinder and cavyrescue have none in my area. I checked it out. I was going to check guinealynx, but I forgot last night.

Thanks for the links.

Poohbear

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
There are ones in New Jersey and in Hatboro PA.

Poohbear

hydes_girl

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help.

New Jersey is 2 hours away and not really a option for me. And I have no idea where Hatboro is.

I found someone on guinea links who needs homes for her pigs.

sasha

Cavy Slave
If that doesn't work out, try petfinder again. Once I entered a state name and only one pair came back, but if you enter a zip code, tons pop up. I think some things must only work with the zip. Just try an expanded search with your zip code and you should be able to find something. Also, try not specifying gender, sometimes that will help because shelters will list a bunch of pigs together. Good luck.

sasha

Cavy Slave
I found 3 young females under waggin tails rescue- 44 miles from hazleton in brodheadsville

there are 2 at the lehigh county shelter- 47 miles from hazleton

If the guinealynx one doesn't work out, these are cute pigs ;)

Katie

Cavy Slave
Just because they are an hour or two away, doesn't mean they aren't an option. Many rescues do out of state adoptions, and many also have transport volunteers. I think 2 hours is a small distance to travel for a pet you will have for 6-8 years.

hydes_girl

Cavy Slave
Katie said:
Just because they are an hour or two away, doesn't mean they aren't an option. Many rescues do out of state adoptions, and many also have transport volunteers. I think 2 hours is a small distance to travel for a pet you will have for 6-8 years.
It wouldn't be too bad if I can get someone to come to me. I don't drive. I have work, the only transportation is my mother who will not drive 2 hours to new jersey to pick up a pet for me.

I don't see why you bring this up now. I fond someone to adopt from.

Thank you.

sasha

Cavy Slave
I think Katie was just trying to be helpful, she did talk about transport volunteers and all. A lot of times people can't find what they want locally, especially if they need a specific age and sex to pair with another one, so people here often help each other find a way to get a new pig.

The reason why comments like that tend to give us all a wary feeling is because if you won't go a few hours once to get the pet, are you going to be able to talk your parents into going hours for a cavy knowledgable vet, especially since you have to take them right away when you notice something is wrong, and it isn't always convenient? My local vet who knew penicillin based drugs were a problem, still gave me oxytetracline, which is on the GL dangerous med list. Also, it isn't healthy to give them whatever crap food is at the local pet store, so will your parents let you use their credit card to order good stuff, or drive a bit further? I am not trying to be mean because you are young, but if you rely on your parents, and they aren't committed, the animals may pay later. Hopefully they are the type to realize that it isn't ok to take substandard care of an animal because its inconvenient, but not all parents do.

hydes_girl

Cavy Slave
sasha said:
I think Katie was just trying to be helpful, she did talk about transport volunteers and all. A lot of times people can't find what they want locally, especially if they need a specific age and sex to pair with another one, so people here often help each other find a way to get a new pig.

The reason why comments like that tend to give us all a wary feeling is because if you won't go a few hours once to get the pet, are you going to be able to talk your parents into going hours for a cavy knowledgable vet, especially since you have to take them right away when you notice something is wrong, and it isn't always convenient? My local vet who knew penicillin based drugs were a problem, still gave me oxytetracline, which is on the GL dangerous med list. Also, it isn't healthy to give them whatever crap food is at the local pet store, so will your parents let you use their credit card to order good stuff, or drive a bit further? I am not trying to be mean because you are young, but if you rely on your parents, and they aren't committed, the animals may pay later. Hopefully they are the type to realize that it isn't ok to take substandard care of an animal because its inconvenient, but not all parents do.
There is a vet about 45 mintues away that looks at guinea pigs. I've looked into. I have my own credit card and a job to pay for everything. I'm not young at all. I'm 21. Just don't have a license.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I dont have a license and Im 27 years old.

sasha

Cavy Slave
I can understand that, because I got my college degree before my license, because if you live in an area that has good buses/metro/taxis you don't necessarily need one, and the requirements to get one now can be hard to do if you're busy. When I moved to the middle of nowhere, I got it ASAP.

I guess I was just trying to explain why what you said made me wonder, since you bit off Katie's head when it seemed like she was just trying to be helpful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.