PDA

View Full Version : New guinea pig mom, help

SuzieQ's Pigs
03-28-10, 10:22 pm
Hi, I'm new here. A few hours ago a friend of my mother's contacted her and asked her if I would take her sons Guinea Pigs immediately. Basically she purchased them for her 15 year old son about a month ago, and without going into gory details her son and his friends were mistreating the pigs horribly. So fast forward a few hours, I now have 4 precious boys sitting here in a god awful small cage, looking at me scared out of their mind. But i am determined to give them a good life. So I have been reading everything I can and here is where I'm at right now. I got them some Oxbow food, tim hay, and ordered a big C and C cage off this site. I also will be calling the vet first thing in the morning because they have some scabs and stuff, and i am pretty sure the littlest guy has ringworm. So if anyone can help me, as I have only been a guinea pig owner for a few hours it would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track with everything. Thank you

Sirene
04-02-10, 11:24 am
Hello! How is everything going? From your first post it sounded like you were definitely on the right track!

chrisandpiggers
04-02-10, 11:31 am
Sounds like you are doing everything right! If you don't know about it already, another fantastic site is guinealynx. Here's the link http://www.guinealynx.info/

rabbitsncavyluv
04-02-10, 03:14 pm
The scabs are likely from mites - good idea to get ivermectin and treat them.

sdpiggylvr
04-03-10, 03:10 pm
I'm thankful those poor pigs are in your care now.

I recommend you check to make sure all of the "boys" are actually boys. Pet stores frequently missex, so it would be a good idea to check, in order to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. Guinea Lynx has a good "sexing" page that would help you a lot.

How big of a C&C cage did you order? For four boys, you should probably have a 2x8, but a 3x7 would be even better. To calculate the square footage, just multiply the length and the width.

Where did you purchase your timothy hay? Most pet store hay is cheap quality. If you have the money, Kleenmama's Hayloft has amazing hay. The only real way to save $$ is by buying in bulk. Or, local hay stores are also good.
Oxbow pellets are really good, but it does have calcium carbonate in it. If you're worried about bladder stones, you might want to switch to Kleenmama's pellets, which are also exceptional.

Here are a few tips I've learned:

+ Have one of everything - bowls and hideys, mainly - for each pig to avoid arguments.

+ Guinea pigs love their toys - cardboard boxes, oatmeal containers with the ends cut off, tissue boxes stuffed with hay, brown paper bags are great. There's this great site called Hammocky Hammocks that sells beds and cozies with great prices. I recommend their corner hammocks and their beds.

+ Orchard grass and timothy hay are great hays for guinea pigs.

+ Read the stickies in the Diet section, like "Sample Menus" for info about veggies.

Make sure the vet you're going to is cavy-savvy - experienced with guinea pigs and other exotics.

Good luck, and kudos to you for being a responsible guinea pig owner.

PS: I'll be back with the links to the sites I told you about.

Cogni
04-03-10, 03:31 pm
SD's advice is great. Kudos to you for rescuing these poor boys.

I have known some teen-aged boys who are oh-so-gentle with animals, but often when boys, even good ones, get in friend-groups things get very unpleasant, even torturous for creatures smaller than them. The cruel and predatory side of human nature often comes out strongly in such groups and judgment is clouded --or rather obliterated--by what the other boys do and say, as each boy tries to top the last one, trying to make the others laugh or to gross them out. I have seen this up close and it is not pretty. Poor, gentle piggies, with no defenses at all.

I look forward to hearing how the poor babies recover. It sounds like you are really on the right track to letting them become healthy, happy piggies.

sdpiggylvr
04-03-10, 04:04 pm
I'm back with the links!

Kleenmama's Hayloft (http://www.kmshayloft.com/), the amazing hay (and pellet) store.

Info on Toys (http://guineapigcages.com/toys.htm)for your guinea pigs.

Guinea Lynx's sexing (http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html)page.

The Veggie chart (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/22156-read-me-guinea-pig-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html)and sample menus (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html), both which are very helpful for when you are putting your pigs' salads together.

Good luck! We're always here if you have any more questions.

SuzieQ's Pigs
04-05-10, 03:51 pm
Hi!!! Thanks for all the links and advice!! The boys are doing really great, they saw the vet and to my surprise checked out healthy. I do trust the vet they saw as he is is great with small animals and has seen my rats before. We did run into one problem, the one pair was always fighting the other pair. My brother and his wife now have one of the pairs (they just love them) and I have the other, and there hasn't been any more fighting. As far as my pair I have named them Carson and Bently, and they are starting to be a little less fearful, last night Bently actually took a treat from me. They are living in a 2 by 5 that I ordered from Sue, and my brother is going to make his pair a 2 by 5 also, I did a 1 by 2 kitchen area with carefresh bedding and the rest of the cage has fleece. I will definitly order from Kleenmamas (thanks so much for the link) because I am very picky about what my pets eat, I had thought Oxbow was best, but I will get them on the new food as soon as possible. Ordering in bulk won't be a problem because my brother and I can just split the order.

As far as the boy who had previously owned the pigs, he is now having psychiatric help.

WildCelt
04-10-10, 06:00 pm
I wish there was more people in the world like you who care so much about animals!

WildRye
04-10-10, 06:31 pm
It's really wonderful that you and your brother took in these pigs! I'm glad they are healthy and warming up to you.

Your Oxbow pellets are just fine, but you definitely won't regret ordering from Kleenmama's. I haven't gotten hay from her because I can get it for free from my horse-people connections, but her pellets are just superb. I have the rest of my Oxbow pellets mixed with some KM right now, and my guys go through and pick out all of the KM pellets to eat first. As a bonus, it was cheaper to order 25 lb of KM than 25lb of Oxbow (even with shipping).

Can we see some pictures of your new pigs?

leyley904
04-10-10, 06:57 pm
It's so great that you were able to take these pigs in such short notice! It's also great that you immediately started researching! Straight away to a 2x5, I'm sure they love this new life! Gosh, if that boy need psychiatric help, it must have been bad. Good thing their mother noticed soon enough! I hope that helps him, and I wish you the best of luck with little Carson and Bently (super cute names)!
Oh, and did the little one end up having ring worm? Or they all checked out good? Do you know what the scabs were from? Are you leaning towards abuse? (sorry, I don't really know the boy's situation, if you'd rather not say, it's totally fine!)

SuzieQ's Pigs
04-11-10, 12:10 pm
I have another question, my brother is at my house and we were getting ready to order the new food and hay, but we were wondering about Sweet Meadow. We live in Ohio, so the shipping costs might be a little better. I'm happy to pay the money if Kleenmamas is better, but we were just curious. thanks

leyley904
04-12-10, 03:01 pm
I've heard more reviews on KM's hay, all good. I haven't heard much on sweet meadows, but I know it's in the top three hays, and very very good hay. As far as I know, KM's is just a tad better than sweet meadows.

If I were you I would go see how much shipping would cost for each. If it's just a little bit more a KM's, I would go for it. But, if it is a larger difference, I wouldn't worry about getting KM's as sweet meadows is still really good. But if you're willing to pay it, why not? I think a few people (well, there pigs) prefer sweet meadows (correct me if I am wrong, please).

Ly&Pigs
04-12-10, 10:47 pm
There is no hay better than KM's. I am a huge advocate of her hay. Her pellets are also better than anything else on the market.

Feeorin215
04-12-10, 11:36 pm
I just want to say thank you very much for saving those piggies. That was a wonderful thing for you to do. It breaks my heart to know people actually do those horrible things to these wonderful animals. It makes me so sad...But you are a great person!:love:

SuzieQ's Pigs
04-13-10, 03:00 am
Thanks for the replies, we ordered from Kleenmama's. The shipping was only $24, (was going to be $18 from sweet meadow) so thats not a big enough difference to keep me from ordering from Kleenmamas.

Thank you for all the kind words about me adopting the boys, I almost can't remember life without them now, lol They are such good boys!!!

SuzieQ's Pigs
04-14-10, 05:29 pm
It's so great that you were able to take these pigs in such short notice! It's also great that you immediately started researching! Straight away to a 2x5, I'm sure they love this new life! Gosh, if that boy need psychiatric help, it must have been bad. Good thing their mother noticed soon enough! I hope that helps him, and I wish you the best of luck with little Carson and Bently (super cute names)!
Oh, and did the little one end up having ring worm? Or they all checked out good? Do you know what the scabs were from? Are you leaning towards abuse? (sorry, I don't really know the boy's situation, if you'd rather not say, it's totally fine!)

It turned out that the scabs were not due to a medical condition, they were because of the pigs being mistreated, but they are healing up very nicely. Carson and Bently see the vet again tomorrow for a checkup.

A&A's_Mommy
04-14-10, 07:08 pm
Oh my. Thank god for people like you. Almost makes me cry thinking about people that do things to poor helpless animals. I'm so glad they are doing much better!

MissSofi
04-14-10, 08:55 pm
Welcome to the forum and God Bless! Hope all is still going well:heart: