PDA

View Full Version : Me and my Piggy new here

NomNom
03-28-10, 10:09 am
Hi!

My name is "NomNom" but you can call me Nommy ^^

(Yes I know, odd name.. my piggy was eating when I was typing and it sounded like nomnomnom.... hah :D)

I just joined yesterday, and I am excited to be here! ^^

I have one piggy, and her name is Bella. :)

(Um, I got her from PetCo, and I'm sorry about that... But I got her the day she arrived.) (Not sure if that makes a difference...)

She is adorable, and I think she's about 4 months old.

She's skittish when I come near her, and I can barely pet her, and she won't let me pick her up :weepy: Its only the third day I've had her, but still. I want to have lap time and floor time with her :'(

Hah, enough with my problems, I posted some pictures of her... and I'm not allowed to post pics of her cage because I got it at petco...

I really hope I meet a lot of people and have a good time here ^^

~
Nommy ♥

chrisandpiggers
03-28-10, 10:23 am
Hi Nommy!
Welcome on board!

I don't want to jump you with heaps of questions, but are you considering adopting another pig for Bella and making a C&C cage (they are truly fantastic!)

VoodooJoint
03-28-10, 10:28 am
Welcome to the forum. You can post pictures of the cage here in this thread if you wish. We simply don't allow petstore cage pictures in the gallery or anywhere else that doesn't allow possible discussion.

Cogni
03-28-10, 10:55 am
Hi Nommy, can't wait to see your pics!

Take it gentle and slow and be patient. It may take
weeks but Bella will come around. The more you do stuff
in and around her cage the faster she will get used to you
as a large, perhaps bothersome, but not threatening creature
who is a source of tasty things. Have you got her eating veggies yet?
Does she have plenty of hay?

Wheekie
03-28-10, 11:42 am
Welcome! Can't wait to see your pics! Nice to meet you and Bella! You'll love it here!

rabbitsncavyluv
03-28-10, 03:24 pm
It doesn't really matter if you got her the day she arrived - we don't advocate buying live animals from pet stores since it supports puppy mills and the like, and animal abuse.

Please adopt her a friend from a shelter or rescue but make sure you do have a female and she is healthy. They are usually missexed, pregnant and sick with mites or URI.

Lady_Magoo
03-29-10, 10:03 pm
Welcome! I've had my two babies for about a week and a half now and they are getting better too. Just be patient.

I adopted Mocha and Little Red the same day, and maybe getting a buddy might help her get use to you. They are better in pairs, not only because they like company but also because they are soooo adorable to watch together! My Mocha (I call her Mochie, Mocha with like an EE sound instead of an A, just not sure how to spell it) is a character. She talks constantly, and relies on Little Red and cries when she is not with her, and Little Red started doing the same here recently, just not near as loud. When one is happy, the other one gets happy, and it is just simply adorable.

I too adopted mine from a petstore, but I do plan on adopting my next two (yes, I do believe I will be getting two more here soon) from a shelter about 2 hours from where I live. I found them online after I adopted my two little ones and just fell in love, I just do not have the room for them currently :(

Good luck! Bella will get there! :)

NomNom
03-30-10, 10:02 pm
Hi Nommy!
Welcome on board!

I don't want to jump you with heaps of questions, but are you considering adopting another pig for Bella and making a C&C cage (they are truly fantastic!)

Yes! We only had money for one at the time but yes she will be getting another female friend.

I will be building one! I already have the grids and connecters and ties, I actually was using them for storage before I got her, so it works :p My current one is from Petco.

NomNom
03-30-10, 10:03 pm
Welcome to the forum. You can post pictures of the cage here in this thread if you wish. We simply don't allow petstore cage pictures in the gallery or anywhere else that doesn't allow possible discussion.

Ahhh, I see! Thank you :)

NomNom
03-31-10, 02:13 pm
Hi Nommy, can't wait to see your pics!

Take it gentle and slow and be patient. It may take
weeks but Bella will come around. The more you do stuff
in and around her cage the faster she will get used to you
as a large, perhaps bothersome, but not threatening creature
who is a source of tasty things. Have you got her eating veggies yet?
Does she have plenty of hay?

I have already posted pics of her in my gallery lol

Yes, doing stuff in her cage has seemed to help. Like I said earlier, I can hand feed her, and I regularly change her water and food.
Yep, I'm feeding her lots of fruits and veggies. I did have food that had dried fruits and veggies in it as well as pellets and seeds and stuff, but a mod suggested I get high quality pellets, so I got pellets with timothy hay mixed in. And she has TONS of hay, She goes through about two and a half large handfulls a day. :)
Thank you for the advice lol

NomNom
03-31-10, 02:14 pm
Welcome! Can't wait to see your pics! Nice to meet you and Bella! You'll love it here!

I hope! I posted pictures of Bella in my gallery lol

NomNom
03-31-10, 02:16 pm
It doesn't really matter if you got her the day she arrived - we don't advocate buying live animals from pet stores since it supports puppy mills and the like, and animal abuse.

Please adopt her a friend from a shelter or rescue but make sure you do have a female and she is healthy. They are usually missexed, pregnant and sick with mites or URI.

I knew before I bought her, but I had been waiting months for the day, so I just bought her then. My next one is coming from a feed store, but its not like Petsmart or Petco, its a really small store that sells chickens and horse food and stuff, and they have a breeder they get their babies from. I don't know if its better, but we're getting our next one there.

NomNom
03-31-10, 02:19 pm
Welcome! I've had my two babies for about a week and a half now and they are getting better too. Just be patient.

I adopted Mocha and Little Red the same day, and maybe getting a buddy might help her get use to you. They are better in pairs, not only because they like company but also because they are soooo adorable to watch together! My Mocha (I call her Mochie, Mocha with like an EE sound instead of an A, just not sure how to spell it) is a character. She talks constantly, and relies on Little Red and cries when she is not with her, and Little Red started doing the same here recently, just not near as loud. When one is happy, the other one gets happy, and it is just simply adorable.

I too adopted mine from a petstore, but I do plan on adopting my next two (yes, I do believe I will be getting two more here soon) from a shelter about 2 hours from where I live. I found them online after I adopted my two little ones and just fell in love, I just do not have the room for them currently :(

Good luck! Bella will get there!

Aw, thats good. I'm going to try and build a C&C cage today, and then I'll try and get another one for her. :) Four piggies, lucky! lol

rabbitsncavyluv
03-31-10, 02:22 pm
No it is not better. You should find a rescue or shelter to adopt from rather than supporting breeders and the pet overpopulation problem.

Are you saying you knew about adoption and still bought one at petno? That is even worse.

What type of pellets are you feeding?

I knew before I bought her, but I had been waiting months for the day, so I just bought her then. My next one is coming from a feed store, but its not like Petsmart or Petco, its a really small store that sells chickens and horse food and stuff, and they have a breeder they get their babies from. I don't know if its better, but we're getting our next one there.

frillint
03-31-10, 03:05 pm
Hello and welcome!I would like to add one thing. I am glad that you are getting your new piggy a friend, but you do not even seem open to wanting to go to a rescue.

sdpiggylvr
03-31-10, 05:31 pm
Hi, NomNom! Welcome to the best guinea pig forum on the Internet.

As the other members have said, we really encourage you to adopt from a rescue or shelter. You can start your search for an adoptable piggy HERE (http://www.petfinder.com/index.html). Why shouldn't you buy from a petstore? Read THIS (http://www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm).

*Also, make sure your guinea pig is actually a girl. Petstores frequently missex their animals, so you can't be sure she's actually what they say.

Again, welcome! I hope you enjoy it here!

NomNom
03-31-10, 08:17 pm
No it is not better. You should find a rescue or shelter to adopt from rather than supporting breeders and the pet overpopulation problem.

Are you saying you knew about adoption and still bought one at petno? That is even worse.

What type of pellets are you feeding?

I didn't have much say on it. I wanted a guinea pig, and I knew I shouldn't get one from a pet store, but there were no adoption agencies or rescue shelters that I could find.
Ummm, pellets? It's called
"Western Timothy Essentials"
Fiid fir ravvutsm guinea pigs, chinchillas, & other small animals.

Thats all it says... its just pellets with a little bit of timothy hay in it.

NomNom
03-31-10, 08:20 pm
Hello and welcome!I would like to add one thing. I am glad that you are getting your new piggy a friend, but you do not even seem open to wanting to go to a rescue.

I apologize if I come across that way, but at the moment, my circumstances don't allow me to try to get one from a shelter. I am open to it, I have nothing against it. Sorry if I came across rude or unwilling to use a rescue, but there were none I could find in the area.

NomNom
03-31-10, 08:22 pm
Hi, NomNom! Welcome to the best guinea pig forum on the Internet.

As the other members have said, we really encourage you to adopt from a rescue or shelter. You can start your search for an adoptable piggy HERE (http://www.petfinder.com/index.html). Why shouldn't you buy from a petstore? Read THIS (http://www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm).

*Also, make sure your guinea pig is actually a girl. Petstores frequently missex their animals, so you can't be sure she's actually what they say.

Again, welcome! I hope you enjoy it here!

Thank you! I'm liking it here so far :)

I will be sure to check out those links right now, thanks :D

Um, about checking if its a girl, do I just do the obvious? Or is there a more common way of checking?

NomNom
03-31-10, 08:23 pm
Also, I recently upgraded to a 2x4 multi level open C&C cage. Well, right now its just a C cage, I'm still looking for coroplast, but Bella likes it so far :D

SnowPrincess
03-31-10, 09:21 pm
I apologize if I come across that way, but at the moment, my circumstances don't allow me to try to get one from a shelter. I am open to it, I have nothing against it. Sorry if I came across rude or unwilling to use a rescue, but there were none I could find in the area.

If you can't use a rescue, do not get another pig. Wait until 'circumstances allow it.' Please. If you can't use a shelter, you can't use a pet store either. Simple as that.

EDIT: Where do you live? I'm very confident that within a three hour trip from you, there is pigs. Even if there is isn't, why not wait until there is and give a homeless piggie new lease on life?

rabbitsncavyluv
04-01-10, 12:22 am
We hear that excuse a lot but 99% of the time it is untrue.

If you post your general location, I guarantee you we can find you needy pigs. If there are pet stores near you that sell them, there are people looking to dump them.

You should also read
http://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

I didn't have much say on it. I wanted a guinea pig, and I knew I shouldn't get one from a pet store, but there were no adoption agencies or rescue shelters that I could find.
Ummm, pellets? It's called
"Western Timothy Essentials"
Fiid fir ravvutsm guinea pigs, chinchillas, & other small animals.

Thats all it says... its just pellets with a little bit of timothy hay in it.

NomNom
04-01-10, 05:45 am
If you can't use a rescue, do not get another pig. Wait until 'circumstances allow it.' Please. If you can't use a shelter, you can't use a pet store either. Simple as that.

EDIT: Where do you live? I'm very confident that within a three hour trip from you, there is pigs. Even if there is isn't, why not wait until there is and give a homeless piggie new lease on life?
I don't know how to say this, but I am very young, and my mom has to drive me everywhere. She doesn't even want to drive 45 minutes away for a guinea pig.

Like I said, sorry about coming across rude. I didn't think it would be such as big of a deal...

NomNom
04-01-10, 05:59 am
We hear that excuse a lot but 99% of the time it is untrue.

If you post your general location, I guarantee you we can find you needy pigs. If there are pet stores near you that sell them, there are people looking to dump them.

You should also read
http://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

Thanks for the links..

SnowPrincess
04-01-10, 06:02 am
I don't know how to say this, but I am very young, and my mom has to drive me everywhere. She doesn't even want to drive 45 minutes away for a guinea pig.

Like I said, sorry about coming across rude. I didn't think it would be such as big of a deal...

I'm very young too, and my mum has to drive me everywhere. She has no interest in the six hour round trip I'm taking to get my piggie. But that's how determined I am.

If she won't drive you and you cannot find any other sort of transport, do not get another piggie. You are supporting all kinds of evil and suffering. For each pig you buy, one in a shelter dies. You can also wait until one becomes available.

The 'it's too far' excuse doesn't fly here dear.

rabbitsncavyluv
04-01-10, 12:25 pm
Yes, it is a ''big deal'' if you buy from a pet store and support breeding mills/ backyard breeders.

Google puppy mills and read up. Also:
Pet Stores and Guinea Pigs (http://www.cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm)
Hollister Seizure and Rescue (http://www.cavyspirit.com/hollister_rescue.htm)

NomNom
04-01-10, 05:06 pm
I apologize. :ashamed:
I know about puppy mills (I've had dogs for years) and assume its the same way with GPs.

I will try to get one from a rescue.
If it doesn't work I'll go to the feed store that has a personal breeder.
I'm not being stubborn, but I can't always get my way. :sorry:
I will try to get one from a rescue or adoption.
Again, I'm sorry and know I need to get one not from a pet store, but right now I can't change the fact that my mom likes the price at the feed store. I'm going to look to get one from a rescue, but I can't guarantee that.

sdpiggylvr
04-01-10, 05:41 pm
I apologize.
I know about puppy mills (I've had dogs for years) and assume its the same way with GPs.
I will try to get one from a rescue.
If it doesn't work I'll go to the feed store that has a personal breeder.
I'm not being stubborn, but I can't always get my way.
I will try to get one from a rescue or adoption.
Again, I'm sorry and know I need to get one not from a pet store, but right now I can't change the fact that my mom likes the price at the feed store. I'm going to look to get one from a rescue, but I can't guarantee that.

Hey! It's alright, we get that you apologize. We accept it! We also get that you're still learning, so we'll try to cut you a little slack. But that doesn't mean you can slack on the care you provide. (Obviously.)

I think you understand now - adopt or nothing. It's as simple as that. There are NO excuses. See HERE (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/adoptables-discussions/30128-cant-find-pigs-rescue.html). Do whatever you can to adopt instead of buy. Whatever you do, don't resort to purchasing from a pet store.

Good luck with your search!

SnowPrincess
04-01-10, 06:01 pm
I'm going to look to get one from a rescue, but I can't guarantee that.

No, you can't guarantee that you can get one from a rescue, but you can guarantee that you won't purchase one. There's no law stating you must have another piggie right this moment.

rabbitsncavyluv
04-01-10, 06:06 pm
A breeder is a breeder. The feed store is going to be just as bad as the pet store. A backyard breeder is often worse than a breeding mill.

Hmm - $10 guinea pig sales fee + $50 vet check up + $150 to treat for mites + $25 for antibiotics to treat URI + likely mis-sexing resulting in several babies + cost of caring for said babies or minimal adoption fee to save a life?

You do the math.

Can you post a pic of your C&C cage? You were able to find the materials for one easily yet you can't get a rescue pig?

Do you know how close is your nearest cavy vet? If they are 45 min. away, is your mother going to drive you to them? You are likely going to need one after you buy another pet store pig.

sdpiggylvr
04-01-10, 06:18 pm
No, you can't guarantee that you can get one from a rescue, but you can guarantee that you won't purchase one. There's no law stating you must have another piggie right this moment.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

While it may not work out for you to adopt, you surely will not purchase a guinea pig. Don't support the cycle of abuse that only recurs when you buy a pet from there. You may think, it's easier. It's not - down the road, it WON'T be easier. Perhaps the pig will be sick. Or pregnant. Or actually a male. Don't provide the opportunity to end up with another case of pet store horrors.

And, as Snow says, there's no hurry to get another guinea pig right now. You're not going to die if you have to wait a few weeks, and neither is your piggy. In the meantime, you could spend time preparing the cage and spending time with the guinea pig you already have. It's great to have two guinea pigs, but it's also great to have one.

sdpiggylvr
04-03-10, 04:22 pm
Also, just wanted to show you THIS (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/kitchen/47359-buying-pigs-petstores.html)link, which talks about buying guinea pigs from pet stores.

Hope we've opened your eyes . . .

MissSofi
04-03-10, 05:11 pm
Welcome to the Forum NomNom, I'm glad to hear you are TRYING to do the right thing. It can be tough sometimes. I can Tell you really want to do whats right, and this forum is a great place to learn.:cheerful:

frillint
04-05-10, 05:03 pm
I will ad from experience my 2nd pig came from a petstore Animart it is a lot better of a store than petsmart, but none the less it is still a pet store. My girl that I got from there before last Christmas, she was pregnant. She had 2 babies. I kept one and adoped out the other neutering is expensive. My recent one that I unintentionally got was at pet supermarket. I didn't realize how bad it was until a week and a half after I had bought her there. A few days after I had her I realized she has a URI and I had to treat all 3 of my other pigs, because they got it to It was $75. I recently went back to the petstore to confront them about my piggys being sick when I noticed the guinea pigs that were there had a sign right on their cage saying that they were not separated by gender. I tried to educate them, but they did not care to be educated. You really need to adopt at all costs. It is better for all the piggys and will be less expensive and you will feel better. I know you are trying to do the right thing, good for you.

NomNom
04-08-10, 08:16 pm
Thank you, you guys are nice.

I no longer have a guinea pig.

I sold it back to the pet store.

Sorry. It didn't work out. There is no use in me being in this site anymore, so I am leaving.

Bye.

Cogni
04-08-10, 08:24 pm
Poor abandoned piggie. What a life she has. Less than 2 weeks in what was going to be a forever home, and then back to nobody to love her.
Heartbreaking.

SnowPrincess
04-08-10, 08:58 pm
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic about us being nice, however you should have surrendered that poor piggie to an shelter. There was no need to make a profit.

Piggie, I sincerely hope you are bought by someone who comes onto this site and learns about proper care.

GPigsRSweet
04-08-10, 09:16 pm
Piggie, I sincerely hope you are bought by someone who comes onto this site and learns about proper care.

Exactly my thoughts. Poor pig. Don't you know what you did? That pig could end up anywhere!

blackarrow
04-08-10, 09:37 pm
I no longer have a guinea pig.

I sold it back to the pet store.

Well, if that's really the case, and you're not just being sarcastic, that's even worse. You take on responsibility for an animal, you ought to keep the responsibility for an animal, and you shouldn't EVER put it BACK in the crappy situation it had been in. Good grief.

MissSofi
04-08-10, 09:57 pm
So sad, so so sad.:ashamed:

doodlebugfinery
04-08-10, 10:42 pm
"I sold it back to the pet store.

Sorry. It didn't work out."

Really? What is wrong with people? It's a living being not some used cd or clothing you can just sell back to make a buck. Jeez.

Good luck to you little piggie. I hope you find someone less flaky to live your life with....

rabbitsncavyluv
04-08-10, 11:44 pm
What the heck??

NICOLA2
04-09-10, 02:29 am
that poor piggie!! :(. hopefully it can go to a better home with someone who will look after it forever!! should have been giving to a shelter though! :(

NomNom
04-09-10, 05:49 am
It wasn't my decision. I diddnt want to. My mom didnt want to. I wanted it to go to a shelter. My mom said no, she wanted the 75 dollars back.

NomNom
04-09-10, 05:52 am
Well, if that's really the case, and you're not just being sarcastic, that's even worse. You take on responsibility for an animal, you ought to keep the responsibility for an animal, and you shouldn't EVER put it BACK in the crappy situation it had been in. Good grief.

I DIDN"T WANT TO.

I'm sorry.

Trust me, I was sobbing.

I couldn't go in the petstore and watch.

It's better than my dog killing her.

You guys don't even know the story.

We had multiple reasons.

Please don't make me feel guilty.

chrisandpiggers
04-09-10, 06:14 am
If you own a dog and know you can't provide a secure home, why on earth would you buy a guinea pig?

If your parents truly forced you to sell back the guinea pig, I think they need to learn a lesson in responsible pet care and parenting. No parent should put their child through the emotionial distress you seem to be in at the moment.

SnowPrincess
04-09-10, 06:18 am
This is so sad. :( I don't know how old you is, but I'm a minor too and honestly stories like this make me wish it was illegal for under eighteens to own pets.

NICOLA2
04-09-10, 06:22 am
could you not have found a friend to take it? If your mum didnt want to return the piggie why couldnt you of least taken it to a shelter so the poor thing would have had more of a chance of a happy life! even it it would have cost 75! you could of just taken the cage and bits back to the store and the piggie to the shelter.

chrisandpiggers
04-09-10, 06:22 am
This is so sad. :( I don't know how old you is, but I'm a minor too and honestly stories like this make me wish it was illegal for under eighteens to own pets.

I agree. I also think that you should have to go through the same registration process as you do when buying a cat or dog.

SnowPrincess
04-09-10, 06:44 am
I agree. I also think that you should have to go through the same registration process as you do when buying a cat or dog.

I know everyone think this, but just like shelter there should be regulation on who 'purchase' an animal! Better yet, get rid of animal shop altogether!

VoodooJoint
04-09-10, 07:46 am
Nomnom, as you said, "There is no use in me being in this site anymore, so I am leaving." Please do as you said and just go. There is no point in you hanging around and further upsetting the members. You/your family bought an animal from a store, against advice and without considering the consequences of your actions, the level of care needed or your commitment level. You/your family then got rid of the animal. You don't need to explain it any further, we get it, and no matter what you say, we don't like it, don't accept it and find it upsetting and horrid. You WILL NOT find pity and consolation here so you really should just leave.

Your account will remain active so if ever you get another GP and are evolved enough to commit yourself to it's care and wellbeing you are welcome back

NomNom
04-09-10, 06:57 pm
Nomnom, as you said, "There is no use in me being in this site anymore, so I am leaving." Please do as you said and just go. There is no point in you hanging around and further upsetting the members. You/your family bought an animal from a store, against advice and without considering the consequences of your actions, the level of care needed or your commitment level. You/your family then got rid of the animal. You don't need to explain it any further, we get it, and no matter what you say, we don't like it, don't accept it and find it upsetting and horrid. You WILL NOT find pity and consolation here so you really should just leave.

Your account will remain active so if ever you get another GP and are evolved enough to commit yourself to it's care and wellbeing you are welcome back

Ok.

I get it.

I don't want pity.

rabbitsncavyluv
04-09-10, 07:07 pm
Well you got it but only for that poor pig.

NICOLA2
04-11-10, 05:20 am
Well you got it but only for that poor pig.

I totally agree!! poor piggie! :(

should never get a piggie, or any pet! unless you know 100% for can care for it 200%!