Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia hay, pellets and corflute in sydney

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
hey guys,
i currently have a girl guinea pig (mum won't allow me to get another one) and i was wondering where you could get cheap hay and pellets. i'm buying them from the feed store near carlingford train station but they only sell oaten hay i think. can this be fed daily or just as a treat? and is there any place that supplies corflute in that area. Thanks.

guineapigmomy

Cavy Slave
KleenMama's hay sells hay and pellets. Shipping may seem expensive, but in the long run it is a lot cheaper.:D

Hope I helped:rolleyes:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Kleenmama can't ship to Australia.

You should be feeding them grass hay - like orchard or timothy. Not oat hay.

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
i know, though the store doesn't sell them. They only sell lucerne and oaten hay. i can't find any other close store.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Hello fellow Aussie!

You can find Oxbow on eBay fairly cheap, excellent brand.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Unless the Oxbow on ebay has dropped drastically in price it will probably be the more expensive option.

This is a list of places that sell Oxbow in NSW

(broken link removed)

Oat Hay is okay to feed, not ideal but when faced with nothing else other than Lucerne it IS better. It's not really a good time to be looking for hay either, it's in between seasons really but if you look at Horse feed stores (you'll have use google, your local newspaper, trading post etc) you might be able to find a grass hay, look for something that is green, not too stemmy, smells 'fresh' and with little weed. Also look at the conditions it's kept in too, if it's out in the open I wouldn't buy it, if the ground looks dirty etc I'd give it a miss too.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Unless the Oxbow on ebay has dropped drastically in price it will probably be the more expensive option.

This is a list of places that sell Oxbow in NSW

(broken link removed)

Oat Hay is okay to feed, not ideal but when faced with nothing else other than Lucerne it IS better. It's not really a good time to be looking for hay either, it's in between seasons really but if you look at Horse feed stores (you'll have use google, your local newspaper, trading post etc) you might be able to find a grass hay, look for something that is green, not too stemmy, smells 'fresh' and with little weed. Also look at the conditions it's kept in too, if it's out in the open I wouldn't buy it, if the ground looks dirty etc I'd give it a miss too.

Really? Thanks you for link! I was unaware. Do you have link for Victoria?

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
(broken link removed)

I buy mine from Pets @ Home, it's $29. Lort Smith sell it for $22 so if you are ever near their North Melbourne shelter pick a bag up it's cheaper than anywhere else.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Sadly there none even remotely close to me. :(
I will have to order.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Out of interest (and you don't have to answer if you don't want) but where abouts are you? (just a general description) I'm outer northern suburbs...close enough to Melbourne that the buses get here (...up until 6 months ago it was a single bus...now it's TWO!) but far enough out that there's space and fresh air :p

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
Northern like say...Do you know where Sunbury is? I'm in the real outback, about an hour out of Sunbury.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
FuzzyWuzzy - Please read your private messages. I can't approve any more of your replies until you do.

Bamysmum

Cavy Slave
Quick update for anyone living on the northern beaches of Sydney, Peto in Brookvale is now stocking a large range of the Oxbow products and the cheapest prices for care fresh bedding that I've managed to find. The cavy cusine Oxbow pellets are still cheapest to buy from Forest Animal Hospital at $18.20 but Peto is selling them for the next cheapest price I've found - $28 which is on par with Dee Why and Chatswood vet prices.

I'm still buying my coroflute from sign writers as though my local Bunnings does stock coroflute sheets they're not a large as I require.

Cubes - I still can't find :(

GuineaPiggy

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Quick update for anyone living on the northern beaches of Sydney, Peto in Brookvale is now stocking a large range of the Oxbow products and the cheapest prices for care fresh bedding that I've managed to find. The cavy cusine Oxbow pellets are still cheapest to buy from Forest Animal Hospital at $18.20 but Peto is selling them for the next cheapest price I've found - $28 which is on par with Dee Why and Chatswood vet prices.

I'm still buying my coroflute from sign writers as though my local Bunnings does stock coroflute sheets they're not a large as I require.

Cubes - I still can't find :(

Please take time to search on the forums, there are tons of people who have found them in sydney etc. I heard Kmart sold them

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/51815-i-found-cubes-perth.html
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...1-few-internet-resources-grids-australia.html
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...alia-bunnings-cage-grids-coreflute-sheet.html
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/37767-finding-cubes.html
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/17303-coroplast-melb.html
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/31664-grids-sale.html
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/35364-grids-sydney-sutherland.html

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
You can buy grids online, from dealsdirect.

They have both silver and black mesh grids along with solid plastic. The mesh are galvanised and very strong (a woman on an Australian Cavy Forum just bought a couple packs to make a cage with and she's very happy with them)

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
The cavy cusine Oxbow pellets are still cheapest to buy from Forest Animal Hospital at $18.20

WOW! Thats insane. I have never seen it that cheap. Vet I get mine from has put up a price list. The bunny oxbows T pellets are $26 + GST and the cavy cuisine pellets are $28 + GST.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.