Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Piggy!

vickyangel3

Cavy Slave
Hello,

Just wanted to introduce my new piggy. As many of you may know (I think its mentioned in the photo galleries) I lost 3 piggies in January, shock of moving house, sorting out the drafts and a mouse I think!) and we were deverstated. They have their memorial and I'm getting proper paintings from photos done of all of them to go on our wall.

So now we have the one cage and we finally decided we were ready to give another pig a home, taking our herd for 4 (one male - neutered, the rest girls). So Sunday I went to meet my new piggy.
There is a lady who lives 20 mins walk from us, who has taken in loads of rescue animals, cats, dogs, rabbits and has loads of piggies. Anyway about a month ago she was give 2 Sheltie females (I think you call them Silkies in America?) and one was pregant. So I am getting one of the baby girls. Turns out shes a satin sheltie, chocolate and gold in colour and is absolutly lovely! Shes 3 weeks old at the moment so got to wait a few more weeks before I can take her home, but we have had a good cuddle and she seemed to like me, which is great! We are going to call her Caramel, hopefully a picture of her is attached below!

Really wanted to share that after 10 months our Pebbles has finally calmed own and yesterday let me pick her up without running away and eat cucumber from my hand (even nibbled my finger in her excitment). Just really pleased that the last couple of months we have really worked on calming her down and trusting us like Maxi & Abby do and finally its worked!!

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
She is sweet! So sweet she better not give me diabetes. :D

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh she is a sweety pie!!! Congratulations all round to you (on the calming of Pebbles as well!)

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Aw, little cutie pie!! She really is cute, Have fun with her(and quarentine :p!) hope she gets along with your other piggers!

vickyangel3

Cavy Slave
Luckily I won't need to quaretine as the lady I'm getting her from knows all about that sort of thing and she won't let her go until she has had her checked out and knows shes healthy! Plus her mum has been checked out too and is fine and running around with all her piggies. So I know shes gonna be fine. If she's not Sue will keep her until she is!

ryounce

Cavy Slave
She is beautiful, hope all goes well for you and her...

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
You will still want to do a quarentine, quarentine is not just for new pigs. But existing pigs as well. And there could be hidden illness that the vet could not see, but will show 3 weeks from now. You should still do a full 3 week quarentine behind closed doors.

vickyangel3

Cavy Slave
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point of quarrentine is to make sure that your new piggy doesn't pass anything to existing piggies? If thats the case and the new piggy was sick surely she would pass it over to the piggies she is now living with? If that doesn't happen and she is healthy would there be any problems? Only saying this as I don't want her to get used to 3 weeks on her own, and then be scared of going in a hutch with 3 adult piggies. Shes coming from being housed with about 10 other adults and her brother and sister (althought the brother will be moved shortly) and I don't want her to be lonely for 3 weeks or scared.

partygirlha

Cavy Slave
Oh - she's a sweetie pie

vickyangel3

Cavy Slave
Thanks, can't wait to take her home!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.