PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Can someone please explain?

SnowPrincess
03-20-10, 07:24 pm
Hello
I have read through fleece thread but it a bit too complex for me to understand.
Can someone please explain to me in simple way these following question:

1. What exactly is fleece?

2. Do you just put fleece down or towel underneath?

3. Does it absorb smell well?

JenKY
03-20-10, 07:32 pm
Check out this sticky:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html
It should tell you everything you want to know!

SnowPrincess
03-20-10, 07:52 pm
Thank you I have read that thing it just because English not my first language I didn't understand well. :)

Peggysu
03-20-10, 07:56 pm
You need fleece with an absorbent layer.

Cotton towels work well under the fleece. This allows the urine to flow through the fleece to the absorbent layer keeping your piggie nice and dry.

blackarrow
03-20-10, 08:21 pm
Fleece is a somewhat fluffy synthetic fabric, almost always 100% polyester, which is often used for jackets and sporting apparel because it "breathes" well. You have to put something absorbent like cotton toweling underneath it. The fleece lets moisture pass through it, while it remains feeling dry. It doesn't get smelly quickly - I need to change out the toweling underneath it on average twice before I need to change the fleece itself.

Kitara_CavyMom
03-20-10, 08:26 pm
Hey Snow! I'll try to explain, I've talked with you a few times on here.

Fleece is a material commonly used in blankets and throws. Go to JoAnn Fabrics website or Google fleece and you should see some nice examples. Fleece is very soft and if washed a few times and dried without dryer sheets, it should pull the moisture through to the bottom absorbent layer.

Some people use towels as an absorbent layer but I have found my towels tend to hold moisture. I am only using them until my Piggy Bedspreads come in. A lot of people used a product called Zorb from Wazoodle and say it works extremely well.

Additionally some people used puppy pads or another waterproof bottom layer.

To boil it down, fleece bedding has two to three components
Top Layer: Fleece
Middle Layer: Towels or Zorb or another absorbent product
Bottom Layer (optional): Puppy Pads or mattress pad, other waterproof material (sometimes a shower curtain)

If you have any questions, PM me!

SnowPrincess
03-21-10, 12:05 am
Thanks you so much guys! I think I understand now.

I have one question for Kitara: Do you sow the towel and fleece together?

Kitara_CavyMom
03-21-10, 09:50 am
Thanks you so much guys! I think I understand now.

I have one question for Kitara: Do you sow the towel and fleece together?
Some people do. This makes it easier to clean. However some people say they switch out the towels twice a week and the fleece once a week. I currently do not have fleece on top of my towels and I have to switch it every 4-5 days depending. I believe it's personal preference on sewing or not. :)

trail_hawk
03-22-10, 07:16 pm
I sewed together fleece and pad. and it works well. Fleece is sometimes called polar fleece, and there are the kind rolled up at WalMart, like a bedroll that would be perfect. Much better quality than the stuff you would see at fabric stores, from what I saw.

CavyMama
03-22-10, 08:18 pm
I currently do not have fleece on top of my towels and I have to switch it every 4-5 days depending. :)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your wording but you use towels in your cage only? No fleece on top?

rabbitsncavyluv
03-22-10, 08:29 pm
With just towels, you'd need to change them more frequently than 4 or 5 days?

Especially since they stay wet with urine. I know mine are soaked in corners after 2 days.

You need something on top like fleece to keep the pigs dry. The fleece lets the urine wick down.

CavyMama
03-22-10, 08:38 pm
Yes, you need something on top of the towels. Otherwise, the pigs are walking, sitting, sleeping on the wet. That's why the fleece needs to be prepared before using so it can wick the moisture away from the surface and stays dry.

Kitara_CavyMom
03-22-10, 09:22 pm
Yes, you need something on top of the towels. Otherwise, the pigs are walking, sitting, sleeping on the wet. That's why the fleece needs to be prepared before using so it can wick the moisture away from the surface and stays dry.
To clarify, I have newspaper and disposable diaper pads under the towels, I change the towels out every 2 days but the whole cage out every 4-5. I have not purchased fleece because I ordered Piggy Bedspreads online, so I am managing with what I have until then. I just found this site in March and have been buying supplies for my C&C overtime I am a full-time college student with no job at the moment, I have to buy pieces every week that my parents let me get - hence I am not bothering to purchase fleece when my bedspreads should be here soon-ish. Also, both my piggies have a blanket and a fleece piggy-pad. They have areas to sleep away from the wet, which takes awhile to soak the towels, because it sinks through to my pads and newspaper first.

CavyMama
03-22-10, 09:56 pm
You are better off with just the pads under the towels as newspaper is not very absorbant and just ends up being a soaked mess.

I understand it being a temporary solution until the bedspreads arrive and I'm glad the piggies have dry places to hang out and that you switch the towels often.

Kitara_CavyMom
03-22-10, 11:22 pm
actually with just the pads I found the moisture wasn't being drawn through. For some reason the newspaper works very well at drawing the moisture down through and seems to stay fairly dry, I'm not sure why this is different then most experience. But yes, it is a purely temporary solution. My coroplast and piggy bedspreads will come soon hopefully <3