Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions What could this be?

Brianne

Cavy Slave
I have two guinea pigs and a question for each.

My first pig is a long hair and I was recently trimming him and I found greasy-feeling areas, which -when i looked closer - had black dandruff looking stuff coming off his skin. I looked really close and they weren't moving as far as I could tell. I gave him a bath and trimmed those areas very short, so I could really clean him off. I'm hoping it was just dirt or dry skin, or even caked-on dry poo? Since I did this about a week ago, I've checked and it hasn't come back. Also, my second pig doesn't have it so I was hoping that would stop the chance of it being mites or a fungus. Any advice?

The second pig is generally healthy and this may be nothing but I thought I'd ask. I just gave him a bath just cause it's been a long while since, and as per any guinea, he freaked out a bit. Safe to say, he probably got a little water in his face. When I was blow drying him I started to notice him sniffing really loud. I never noticed it before today. It wasn't constant like it was his breathing, it was when I would put something (like my hand) in front of him and he would sniff. It was very loud, I was sitting with my legs crossed and I could hear him from down there. I don't know if it's just the water or I should be worried about a respiratory problem? I haven't noticed any sneezing, wheezing, or eye problems though.

Please help with any advice! I don't feel like they need a vet trip,so I just want to see if these symptoms could be something worse than what I feel it is. Thanks!

(Both are eating and drinking fine. Lots of lettuce everyday, baby carrot the odd days, and I give them vet-prescribed Vitamin C tablets everyday.)

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
For the first one, only a vet can determine that, maybe if you post pictures, some one would know. For the second one, if the breathing is labored or you don't think something is right, take them to the vet. Guinea pigs go down hill fastly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.