Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Young pregnant guinea pig! Help!!!

jenny45

Cavy Slave
hello, my guinea pig is 5 months old and I have had her since January 3rd. I put her with my male guinea pig on January 11th which was when she was supposed to turn 3 months old. The boy and girl have been happy together and now im sure that she is pregnant!! SHE IS HUGE!! She is much smaller than my older male guinea pig but is the shape of the pear... i m 98 percent sure that she is pregnant but how do i tell how far she is into her pregnancy and when to expect the babies. I also am scared that I am not giving her enough Vitamin C. Their water bottle is always filled with mixed water and Vitamin C juice that I got at a petstore... could you please answer these questions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Please note that this site does not support or condone intentional breeding. If you put your sow in with a boar, that's intentional.

Please see the diet and nutrition forum for info about diet and supplements.

What is Vit. C juice from a petstore?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You shouldn't listen to the pet store for advice. Adding vit c to the water is pretty useless and they are not getting any vit c from it as it dissolves rapidly in water.

You need to remove the boar now. If he is still in there when she gives birth, he will impregnate her again which is dangerous for her and increases her chances of dying next time (if she doesn't this time).

Why are you breeding?

Are the guinea pigs roans or dalmations? Do you have an er vet lined up in case of complications and money saved up for vet bills?

Please read Breeding Guinea Pigs
https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

Remove any male babies at 21 days, if there are any.

It's important she gets a proper diet and exercise to prevent toxemia - do you know what that is and the signs? What are you feeding her?

jenny45

Cavy Slave
I would like to point out that I didn't know that my girl guinea pig was a girl until a week ago.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If you had included that piece of important info in your first post then you would have gotten a different reply on the breeding thing. It's always important for new members to include all pertinent info so that these types of situations can be avoided.

There is no real way of knowing exactly how far along your sow is other than taking her to the vet and then it would most likely be the vets best guestimate based on an ultrasound or x-rays.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Gestation is 59 to 73 days.

It's been 65 days since you put them together? She should have them any day now. It's usually within 2 to 3 weeks when you can first feel the babies.

Have you separated them yet? You need to.

What are you feeding them?

Appropriate veggies are better for vit c intake than adding powder to the water.

Pet stores frequently missex them - this is why it is better to adopt.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.