Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece running under fleece

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Why exactly is it that you shouldn't let your piggies run under the fleece?

I just cleaned my cage out and I caught Maggie running around under the fleece chasing Indra around. Poor Indra I don't think she knew what was going on, she looked horrified.

I know how to stop them but I never had this problem before and I am worried my temporary solution (until I get paid again) may not work for long if she is determined (I have it clipped). I kind of feel like if I knew why they shouldn't do it, it might help me reduce the threat if she does happen to get under there again, if that makes any sense at all.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
They pee under the fleece and being under it leads to them breathing in the vapors. The whole point to a ventilated cage is fresh air. You might try putting an extra towl or fleece for them to burrow into if you have extra, Sometimes they just want to cuddle up with the fabric... you can always take it out and exchange it for another or wash it. Another threat with borrowing is not being able to find their way out and overheating.

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
Ugh, burrowing. My Shaggy must have an IQ of 300. He has managed to find an entry and escape to every single piece of fleece I have. He climbs on things, shoves things around, and he has managed to figure out how to dismantle a clothespin. He is too smart for his own good.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Put something on every corner of the fleece. I'm sure you can find a brick sized rock for free somewhere and put it in the corners. What works the best is the 12"x12" ceramic tiles. It still leaves the space open for running, its a cool place to lay when its hot, and you can put their veggies on it. They are about 49-89 cents at the home improvement stores. Also providing them with a place they can burrow would be great too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.