Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggies filling bowl with bedding - help!

Fillian/Be

Cavy Slave
I've recently stopped using fleece as my washing machine couldn't handle the pressure, and I've started using megazorb which I've not used before. As a bedding it is fantastic - really absorbant, price is great, the piggies love it and I've managed to find a supplier local to both my uni and home addresses.
Alas, the nature of megazorb is such that it becomes insanely easy for my piggies to kick it into their food bowl. And oh! how they do kick it. And fill the bowl up to the top.
Has anyone else had this problem? And how did you solve it?
One of my pigs has a damaged foot/leg, so he can't really climb anything at the moment, so putting the bowl ontop of something isn't much of an option... Any suggestions?

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
Hmmm, mine throw bedding in their bowls, they even pee in them on occasion. I don't really see why it is a problem. Are you worried that they will eat it? In my experience, even if the piggerrs have scooped bedding into the bowl, they will still eat the pellets and move the bedding out of the way.

The only real solution I can offer is to get a hanging bowl or one that has a higher rim. I don't know if that would work for the injured piggy though.

Fillian/Be

Cavy Slave
I just find that when I go to refill them I'm tipping away so much food along with the bedding because they fill it up to the rim and I can't fit any more food in without emptying the bowl.

Vixen

Cavy Slave
Not sure if it will help alot but Try one of the Automatic feeders from walmart for dogs and cats. I have one for my food. although it will not stop them from kicking it in the bowl it will give you t he option of havign a little bit on the little piece they can get the food from so when you notice the bedding in it you can get it out easier. You will probably have to still trash some food. but maybe it will cut down how much you are trashing.

Other then that I don;t have any more suggestions as of now. I hope this helps and I hope your injured piggy gets well soon :)

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use an autofeeder for adult piggies. They shouldn't have unlimited access to pellets and those don't give you control over how much they have.

I don't know why your washer would have trouble with fleece though. So long as you shake them off before you wash they are no differant than any other towels or clothes.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
You are only supposed to be feeding them about 1/8 a cup of pellets a day. Mine usually polish off theirs in 20 minutes. Then I take the bowl out. I would do the same. Let them eats some pellets at every feeding (Mine get 3 feedings; 1 veggie and hay, 1 pellet and hay and the second veggie and hay.) and take the bowl out in between.

Fillian/Be

Cavy Slave
I do have a lot of pigs though, and they wont eat at the same time, so theres not much I can do re- taking the bowl out 20 mins later.
I might put another part on my cage and make that a kitchen area, and use less/different bedding...
Also, in regards to fleece I currently live in a student house with 4 other girls and a decrepid washing mashine which we try not to use as much as possible incase it starts leaking again!

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
You could take your fleece once a week to the laundry mat. That's what many members do, if you'd like to continue to use it. That cost would likely be cheaper then bedding.

As for pellets, you can put several bowls in at differant places in the cage to get them to all eat their pellets when you give it to them. They still shouldn't be given unlimited access to the pellets all day.

Vixen

Cavy Slave
I use an Auto feeder due to it not being a Piggy feeder it doesnt freely let the food out of the bin. I have to pull it out by hand. I measured out how much should be in the container at the bottom and i hand dig out food from the bin every morning. So they do get a limited ammount. Plus my piggys never eat all of there pellets anyways.

the automatic feeder is basically so I dont have to pull the big ben of food out daily. only about once a week :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.