Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives New Cage on a budget!

DressCode

Cavy Slave
Until recently my piggie had been in a C&C Alternative made out of his out pet store cage(his safe spot) and cardboard boxes stuffed with towels and fleece. Well yesterday Spencer showed me that he can jump the sides of the boxes, right before I left for work... Needless to say today was renovation day in guinea land!! Like the title mentions I had a VERY limited budget to work with, but nonetheless we now have a new cage to play with. (Pictures to come, my camera died!) The following is a list of what I used:
4 four foot pieces of 12 inch deep wire shelving
6 Garage Sale signs from the dollar store
3 dollar store towels
1 dollar store fleece blanket
In total, I spent less than 55 dollars, canadian.

Spencer is now the proud inhabitant of a 3 foot by 6 foot cage that also houses his store cage, where he likes to hide from big noises. I also realized that 18 square feet is more space than one piggie needs, so he's hoping to convince me that he has space for a little brother!!!

Thanks for letting me boast, I've never really tried to make anything this big before!!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Wow! Where there's a will, there's a way!

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

DressCode

Cavy Slave
My favourite part is the half ball that now looks like an old 1960's chair!
He's loving it!

A&A's_Mommy

Cavy Slave
Looks awesome!

utsarah

Cavy Slave
Good job!!!

MSRix

Cavy Slave
Wow, a great cage! I'd love to replicate it! I wonder how you cut shelves to the size and held them together at the corners...

DressCode

Cavy Slave
Wow, a great cage! I'd love to replicate it! I wonder how you cut shelves to the size and held them together at the corners...

HAHAHAHAHAH! I used a hack saw, and 5 hours of my time! I would suggest having the hardware store cut them to size for you, since it was a huge pain in the butt to cut them. They don't bend very well, and there are 4 pieces 1/2 an inch thick to cut through.

The corners are held together with cable(zip) ties. They also hold together the pieces in the middle that help create the 6 feet lengths. I used anywhere between 2 and 6 ties at each joint depending on where it was and how stable it was. Behind the pet store cage, for example only has two since the cage sits in front of it. It also makes it easier to move or expand!

Penny

Cavy Slave
Wow! That looks great! Good job and he looks very happy in his new home.

LoveMyPiggies23

Cavy Slave
Wow! Now that looks like a piggie heaven! I wish I had enough room to have a habitat that big. Looks great!

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave

pinky

Cavy Slave
It's absolutely awesome!!! Isn't that cute how he likes to spend time in his "room?" You did a great job.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Great job, and thoroughly proves the point that the "I can't afford it" excuse is weak. (I also have spent under 70 bucks for all the cages I've made- altogether!) I love your ingenuity!

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
You're my new hero.

CavyLuver516

Cavy Slave
WOW!!! I LOVE the creativity! This is a great alternative cage with a great price - what a lucky lil piggy! What were the garage sale signs used for?

PS: I'm stealing the ball chair idea . . . if you don't mind! lol

DressCode

Cavy Slave
I used the garage sale signs instead of coro!!! I can't seem to find any in my area, without paying a ridiculous amount of money. I love the ball chair, though he just likes to pull the towels and fleece off it. I got it when I was first getting my piggie from the store(bad I know) I wanted to get everything possible to make him happy, and that was just a cool way of reusing it! And he loves his pet store cage and loves to hide and eat in it, so we kept it. I really wish I could get him a buddy to play with too. As I write this he's playing with the ball chair!!! Woooot!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.