Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

OH NO! My grids are too big - can't take them back!

ajempson

Cavy Slave
I don't have the receipt and we put the whole thing together already when I realized they are 8x8. Is there anything I can do (like make sides higher) to be able to keep this cage until they get older and I can afford to buy more? If I put high sides that go like 3/4 the way up or something would that work? My husband asked if we could just put like screen material on them? Or is there any other ideas our there?

Thanks!

coojoe135

Cavy Slave
Make the sides higher. The grids will be fine. Just make sure they are high enough to where they cant get through them. I had baby piggies and they never tried to escape. They are all different though. :D Good Luck

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You can make the coroplast sides higher but even if they are older, they will need to be kept up. Adult pigs have gotten heads stuck.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
NO. The grids will NOT be fine. What are you thinking to tell someone that dangerous grids are okay? They are NOT. You must double up the grids or do something else.

A&A's_Mommy

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't take a chance. My guinea pig got his head stuck in the grids which I wasn't aware they were not the correct size. It was the scariest thing ever. He was screaming and squeeling and he was so scared. Thankfully we got him out. DON'T chance it. Double them up.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I can say that ajempson had posted to state they have since gotten safe grids. It was one of the posts I accidentally deleted. The problem has been solved.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
That's good.

If you need to make a stand or base for the cage so you have storage underneath, you can use the bigger grids. The pigs can't reach them (unless you have floor time in that area I mean).

Toadies

Cavy Slave

dmh1906

Cavy Slave
Oh NO!!!

I just put together a cage after buying grids from Target and then also realized they are no good!!!

The page about grids on the web site does not mention that the Target grids are too big and I only realized after I started to look thru this forum.It actually lists Target as a source!!!

Do I need to start again from scratch or can I just have the coroplast sides 12 inches high instead?

If I need to start again can anyone recommend where I should get the grids from.

Thanks

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The page about grids on the web site does not mention that the Target grids are too big and I only realized after I started to look thru this forum.It actually lists Target as a source!!!

Do I need to start again from scratch or can I just have the coroplast sides 12 inches high instead?
While it may not be addressed on the grids page of the main site, it is listed as a sticky at the top of just about every major forum section.

You will need to replace them. As a temporary measure though you can do high coroplast sides.

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
Oh NO!!!

I just put together a cage after buying grids from Target and then also realized they are no good!!!

If I need to start again can anyone recommend where I should get the grids from.

Thanks

You can overlap the grids, creating a series of much smaller grids (like for baby proofing). We found the appropriate size at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Hope that helps!

meaakn33

Cavy Slave
walmart online has grids..

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Great cage, ajempson!

cavychris

Cavy Slave
I made the same mistake. Thankfully I was able to use the large grids for the stand the cage is on. K-Mart has a new brand called SToR (with a - over the o). They are 9x9 grids. I am redoing the cage as I unknowingly adoped a pregnant guinea pig. I have to take out all of the 8x8 grids and replace them.

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
I just ordered two boxes from Wal-Mart.com and they are the 9X9 ones. 16 grids for 21$, pretty good for around here!

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Thank you MissPiggy!! Do you think you could you give the link to the exact set of grids you bought? I might order some off of Walmart's site, and want to make sure I get the right kind!

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
Me and my mom are going to order them off of the Bed Bath & Beyond link.
We might go to K-Mart though to see.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The walmart grids are the whitmore ones.

zebraXqueen

Cavy Slave
Me and my mom checked Kmart , and they had 9x9 for $20.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.