Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Brand New and have some questions

ajempson

Cavy Slave
We are brand new piggy owners. My daughter is a HUGE animal lover so we got two girls for her birthday, Sarah and Gypsey. OMG, they have such different personalities - they are so fun. So I built them a nice 2x4 cage (thank God for this site) I am washing to fleece as we speak for the 3rd time. Here are my questions:

1) I accidently bought the fleece a little too short to go over the sides (have to have a little higher sides for our little ones) it definately covers the bottom and then can go halfway up the sides, but that is it. What is the best way to secure the towels/fleece to the bottom of the coroplast to keep the piggies from getting under them. The fiesty one likes to pull on the bedding.

2) I am allergic to the hay. I dont clean the cage or give them hay, my daughter does that, but it definately gets me somewhat miserable. I wouldn't ever get rid of the piggies, so if I have to suffer, I will. I don't know much about them except that they need this hay, but is there anything I can do about the allergies? I saw something on here about a different kind of hay, but don't they HAVE to have TIMOTHY hay?

3) Also, we built a 2x4 cage that has storage under it (needing that storage) and so I am out of the grids, so can't build a loft any time real soon. Should I make a "kitchen" area in a 2x4 area? will that still leave enough room to run?

Thanks for the help!

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I don't know the answer to #1 but for #2, they should be getting alfalfa hay I believe, since they are babies.
And, as for #3, yes some part of the cage should be a kitchen area.

Good luck with your piggies!!! :)

fieryone

Cavy Slave
What is the best way to secure the towels/fleece to the bottom of the coroplast to keep the piggies from getting under them.

I tuck my fleece under the towels to hold it down. I used to clip it, but tucking it under is easier and stops them from burrowing under.

2) I am allergic to the hay. I dont clean the cage or give them hay, my daughter does that, but it definately gets me somewhat miserable. I wouldn't ever get rid of the piggies, so if I have to suffer, I will. I don't know much about them except that they need this hay, but is there anything I can do about the allergies? I saw something on here about a different kind of hay, but don't they HAVE to have TIMOTHY hay?

No. Any grass hay is fine. Some people say that (broken link removed) bluegrass and even orchard grass is better on allergies than timothy.

3) Also, we built a 2x4 cage that has storage under it (needing that storage) and so I am out of the grids, so can't build a loft any time real soon. Should I make a "kitchen" area in a 2x4 area? will that still leave enough room to run?

You don't need a loft or a kitchen area. Pigs often pee most where they eat so some people find it easier to make a kitchen area so they clean it out between a whole cage clean to get some more time in between. It's certainly not a necessity though if you feel like it would cut in to their open space too much.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the wonderful world of guinea pigs! To answer your questions:

1. You can probably use binder clips or something similar to fasten the fleece to the coroplast sides. If it doesn't reach high enough to use the binder clips, you can get sticky velcro and stick it to the coroplast sides and to the underside of the fleece to keep it in place.

2. As for hay, it depends on their age. If they are babies (it doesn't look like you mentioned their age) they should have alfalfa as it contains more calcium that young guinea pigs need. If Timothy hay is giving you fits, you can try bluegrass or orchard grass.

3. A 2X4 should be okay for 2 sows. You might consider a kitchen if you think they really need a separate area for their food.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

I tuck my fleece under the towels too (think tucking a sheet under a mattress). This stops my towel-nibbler from finding the frayed ends of the old towels and pulling them!

When we first got our pigs, they were eating Timothy hay, but it gave both of us horrible allergies and my husband asthma! I switched to Oxbow Orchard Grass and haven't had a problem since - just the odd sneeze or two sometimes when pulling hay out of the bag.

Good luck with your new pigs - they sound lovely!

JennG

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome!

I just fold my fleece under to make it a 'perfect' fit. I don't put the fleec up & over the coro like some others do. I try to keep the corners covered w/ a variety of things. In one corner, I have a kitty litter box that sits underneath the hay rack. In another corner, I have a brick that catches the water drips. In a 3rd corner, I just have a brick and in the 4th corner, I try to keep a cozy or bed in the corner. Mine are older and don't seem to crawl under the fleece.

As far as hay goes, Lorvoll (who's a member on here) is allergic to the Timothy hay. She actually buys Orchard hay which doesn't affect her allegies. I actually like the Orchard hay better because it doesn't seem to be as dusty.

And since you have little ones, it'll be ok to put a 'kitchen area' in your 2x4. You can always add later & you probably will. I've built about 12 different cages in the last 5yrs. :)

Congrats on your new babies. Don't forget we love pictures.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Jenn G-12 different cages??? I am impressed. I thought my 7 different cages in the last 12 months was a lot! It is true that you can add and change it later when you get some more grids. Like Jenn G suggested put something in each corner and it should be fine. I have Digger piggies so they like to pull things up and rearrange too. What I find that helps is having something they CAN dig in My guinea pig snuggle tunnel is great for that...

YouTube - Doreman203's Channel

As for allergies my husband is highly allergic to the guinea pigs (either their hay, their fur, or a combination but nothing we have tried helps) So he takes Zyrtec once a day everyday and it has made a HUGE difference. If you try a few different changes and that doesnt help I would highly recommend talking to your doctor about getting a med that you can take every day.

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
I find oxbow orchard grass much better for my allergies. It barely bothers me. I also wanted to add that pigs ALWAYS need a grass hay. Young pigs need extra calcium which is often given by having alfalfa hay as well as a grass (orchard, timothy, brome, etc) hay. You can also use alfalfa pellets or supplement with veggies high in calcium. They only need this until they are 6 months old.
It sounds like you are doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

ajempson

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. Im going to go buy orchard hay today! I had a fit last night, so I took some benedril and i think that has made me worse! My head wont stop spinning this morning!

And I dont know how to insert pics. It tells me to put the URL link in it, but I dont know it. Usually there is an upload application, but I dont see this has one :(

wymyczak66

Cavy Slave
I made a 1x2 kitchen area in my 2x4 cage by making a shallow box out of leftover coroplast and fill the bottom with yesterday's news. Clean ups a breeze. Some people use large cat litter pans too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.