PDA

View Full Version : Some amateur questions

ntb_14
03-15-10, 01:56 pm
Hey, i just got two pigs (a male and female) 2 days ago, i was wondering if someone here would answer some questions about them and their cage, thanks

I have read a lot about flooring materials from here and from lynx, but i dont understand something,

How often do we have to change it?
Can pebbles (like the ones used in a fish tank) be used as flooring material? (the ones mentioned here and over at lynx are not available where i live)

Anyone here know of any home-makeable flooring materials alternatives

Also how often do we have to feed the piggs, and when do they sleep?

ntb_14
03-16-10, 07:28 am
Also can we feed tindora to it?

Ly&Pigs
03-16-10, 11:29 pm
No pebbles.

Check the "About Cages" forum section for coroplast alternatives.

What is tindora?

You have to feed pigs everyday. They need an unlimited supply of grass hay, the minimum of a cup of veggies split into two or more feedings and a small amount of pellets if they are over 6 months.

They sleep in short bursts of generally 10-20 minutes at a time all throughout the day and night for a total of around 4 hours. They also tend to sleep with eyes open.

rabbitsncavyluv
03-16-10, 11:57 pm
There aren't any pet stores near you that sell proper bedding?

Pebbles are not going to work - won't absorb their urine and will hurt their feet.

You should be able to find at least towels if not fleece instead, if you can't get safe shavings.

Tindora looks to be some sort of gourd according to google.

You need to feed them a few times a day. They should have hay at all times.

You have a male and female? I hope they are housed separately unless one is neutered?

ntb_14
03-17-10, 08:56 am
I live in india, we dont have any of the things mentioned here, i am thinking of using towels but wouldnt i have to change it everyday?
How about shredding old newspapers and using it as bedding?

We dont have any pellets either, about the hay, i have that scatter around the cage, but i dont think it likes that much, it always prefers vegetables and keeps on asking me for more even if there is hay lying around.

Also does carrots or cabbage contain enough vitamin C for a day or should i give the vitamin C tablets powdered along with it.

Yes Tindora is a type of gourd, in the same family as cucumber, it mainly grows only in india, i fed it to them once and they seemed to like it very much, but i dont know if it causes any problems

Oh and what did you mean by a 'cup of vegetables'? like a coffee mug full of vegetables?
Right now i give it 1 carrot, 1 leaf of cabbage, some banana skin (it likes it very much)
to each pig split into 4 feedings, And cucumber once in a while, would that be enough?

One last question, what should i do with the green droppings? Should i leave it there for it to eat it or should i clean it off? Do they always eat the green droppings?

Ly&Pigs
03-18-10, 03:27 pm
Also does carrots or cabbage contain enough vitamin C for a day or should i give the vitamin C tablets powdered along with it.No and no.

You need lettuces (any but iceburg), bell peppers/capsicum and cilantro/coriander for daily staples. Carrots are too sugary and don't provide good nutrition. Cabbage is too gassy to feed daily.

Yes Tindora is a type of gourd, in the same family as cucumber, it mainly grows only in india, i fed it to them once and they seemed to like it very much, but i dont know if it causes any problemsI would not feed this. I also would suggest that you stop feeding banana skin and not feed banana either.

There has to be somewhere in India to buy cavy pellets. You need a plain pellet. Grass hay, not alfalfa is needed daily.

A cup of veggies means at least 4 leaves of lettuce per day, 1/8 of a bell pepper (to ensure C content) and a nice handful of cilantro PER pig. Then add in other things on a rotating basis according to the nutrition charts which are found in the Diet and Nutrition forum (sticky thread).

It's a bit disturbing that you call the pig "it". Does he/she have a name? Do you have more than one pig?

rabbitsncavyluv
03-18-10, 04:21 pm
Their first post said they have a male and female - hopefully not housed together.

Pregnant sow without proper food or vet is a bad idea.