Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to this.

Tanya47

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I have recently adopted two piggies. I've only had them a few days, but they are clearly very frightened of me. Any suggestions on how to gain their trust would be greatly appreciated!

Vixen

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are naturally scared becuase of being hunted in the wild by larger animals, With them being new to you you should leave them in there cage and not take htem out inless you have to. so they can get use to the new cage and home they are in, Try hand feeding them veggies so they know you are a good person and not someone trying to hurt them. After you feel they are more confortable around you take them out to explore for floor time, They will probably stay in 1 spot at first due to it being another new area. Just pet them and let them know there is nothing to be scared about.
that and being held and played with every day should make them more open to you :)

Tanya47

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I will try to be patient.

YayPiggies

Cavy Slave
Don't worry, just be gentle. Instead of throwing their food down, try feeding it to them by hand. It's simple and if they're hungry they'll usually overcome their fears. After a while, try petting them on the head while they're eating. Food is your best tool when it comes to hungry but nervous piggies.

Kitara_CavyMom

Cavy Slave
Here's one thing I can recommend. They are prey animals often preyed on by birds. So instead of only having a flip-top lid to your cage (if it is C&C) tr making one of the side wall grids open-able too. To do this attach on only one side using twist ties instead of connectors and then what I did is use a binder clip to secure it at the top on the opposite side (where the cavies couldn't get at it) to keep it closed when I don't want them out. You can add a binder clip at the bottom too for more security. This way you are reaching in sideways (on their level) instead of coming from above and casting a shadow that to them might seem like a bird of prey swooping down! Just an idea! :)

Note: I still have a flip top lid on my cages for easy cleaning, and if they really are giving me trouble getting them out, I just try to use the side door first.

MissSofi

Cavy Slave
I am a big fan of lap feeding, Even if your piggies are scared which natually they will be, as soon as you can take you piggies out of their cage and place them on your lap, offer them viggies, Let then run around next to you on the couch/bed, or just let them sit there. Always have a veggie handy, if you do this regularly enough hey will soon except veggies from yo in your lap and will associate being in your lap with something yummy. :)

Also, spend as much time in and around their cage as possible, so they they can get used to used to you. If you leave them alone every time they get scared they will learn that running and hiding works because it makes you go away. Also keep this in mind when you go to pick them up. I would recommend always following though and picking them up gently but firmly when you decide to. If you back off or let go very often they will again figure out that making a big fuss works. Remember, most all piggies do not like getting piked up, but often grown to love being held, so just stay calm and president and show them that you are a wonderful veggie giver and they will get used to you.

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
My pigs were extremly scared when I forst brought them home. They only ate or came out at night, ran when I tried to pick them up ect. I started with lap feeding and sitting next to their cage when I brought the veggies. I sat because standing scared them. Once they got up the courage to come out and grab a veggies they would run into a hidie with it. After a fefw days of me just sitting there watching them eat and daily lap feeding them they soon were out during the day. They still run when I come in the room or roll over while I'm sleeping(my cage is in my room and I hear them run from my second level at warp speed lol). It's been a month since I brought them home and they are 100% different from the first day.
You'll learn from watching them. I was so happy the first day mine wheeked for thier veggies. I actually texted my whole family to tell them...yes I am that lame! But as an ower, or as you'll learn "Cavy Slave", it was a great and warm fuzzy experience. Make sure when you start lap feedin it's quite. I slowly intorduced noise to lap time. Now they get so excited and run to the new people to sniff them. Once they have sniffed the run back to me. It is adorable. It's like they try to be brave but are just happy to be with their mama!
Good luck and I know there are plenty of other topics on this subject. Try looking in the sections here. Many members here have great advice! I'll try and find some of the topics and post them in the thread but I have to get some sleep first! Don't be afraid to look in other and older topics for ideas. i know when I first got here I read more threads than I posted in!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.