Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage is it good to mix things up?

wymyczak66

Cavy Slave
hey everyone, I havent been on here for quite awhile, but I've had my two boars wilson and apollo for about 5-6 mos. Im wondering if its okay to rearrange their cage often. Whenever something changes about it they seem pretty interested and go exploring but I was concerned maybe this would make them uncomfortable because they'd have to keep adjusting to the new hidey places and what not. What do you think?

spacefem

Cavy Slave
Heck, my boars re-arrange their own cage so often I don't think I could keep it consistent if I wanted to. I swap out hidey houses completely... I own like eight, keep 4-5 in the cage at a time (I have four piggies), so stuff is always getting swapped out. They're all about it. The only think that's in the same place all the time is their water bottles, partially because that's where they fit and partially because those are harder to "sniff out" and discover.

frillint

Cavy Slave
I swap around the whole cage every time I clean the cage. They love it after I do. Exploring like it's a brand new place, then all kinda if popcorning starts happening.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I change up the pigs' cage daily, usually when I'm spot-cleaning. They act like it is a whole new cage when I re-arrange all their toys, hidey, and whatnot. I think it's healthy for them to experience some changes in their habitat.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have one of those large three opening PVC pipes that I put in their cage once in awhile. It always cracks me up because they act like they are exploring new territory. Simple minds, I guess, but so funny.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
absolutely! It keeps them interested in their environment and keeps them exploring. I make a total rearrangement every time I clean the pen. They move things around anyway.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I usually rearrange things every week or so. They seem to enjoy it.

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
I change up the pigs' cage daily, usually when I'm spot-cleaning. They act like it is a whole new cage when I re-arrange all their toys, hidey, and whatnot. I think it's healthy for them to experience some changes in their habitat.

I do the same thing and after I am done the explore and popcorn as if it is a brand new cage! I think it's good for them, but depends on the pig. I know mine love it now but they are young so maybe they will grow out of it.
Try it and if they seem fine with it then keep doing it. If you notice stress then don't. That's my advice! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.