Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rat Feed Proportions Question

Kitara_CavyMom

Cavy Slave
Hi, I co-own a rat with my younger sister. We just switched her to TechLab Rat Blocks and Suebee's Grain Mix. My younger sister is a bit concerned - she used to give Socks a very small amount of a tropical fruit medley mix and socks would eat it overnight. Now I give Socks 2-3 Rat Blocks and a small scoop of grain mix - enough to almost fill the small ceramic rat dish we use. (It is smaller then a 1/2 cup measuring cup.) What I was wondering was if anyone thought I was feeding her too much - should I cut back on one or the other? I just started this new nutrition routine with her, so I know it will take time to get used to, but she seems to like it. I think my little sister just isn't fond of change? Anyways, any suggestions on proportions? Thanks.

(If you want to know how we came to own Socks, the female rat, you can find the story on my introduction post.)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Suebee's mix needs supplemented with lab blocks. I think the proportions will be fine. You also need to supplement with bits of fresh foods daily.

Rats don't do so well alone and they very much need company.

Kitara_CavyMom

Cavy Slave
Suebee's mix needs supplemented with lab blocks. I think the proportions will be fine. You also need to supplement with bits of fresh foods daily.

Rats don't do so well alone and they very much need company.

I am supplementing with lab blocks. She does get bits of fresh food along with my guineas. I know Rats don't do well alone but we did not plan on getting her and we are controlled with what our parents will or will not let us get...my sister works at a local humane league our parents will only let us get a second rat IF it is female and IF it is a rescue (like Socks was). :( So we have limited options...thanks for the advice on proportions though! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.