Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Competent Cavy Vets

Status
Not open for further replies.

frillint

Cavy Slave
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread of cavy competent veterinarians around the world, so people who may live in the same states could possibly find the best vet possible. On your thread you should post: The name of the vet, address, location, and phone number. I think it would be a good idea to post vet that you have had a good experience at and ones that you have not. Here is mine:

First the one I DISLIKE.

Oregon Vetinary Clinic (OVC)
1145 Park Street, Oregon, WI 53575
Telephone: (608) 835-7323 or (608) 251-3487
Facsimile: (608) 835-5055

I went to the vet March 2, 2009 and saw Dr. Craig Schley. My first guinea pig was sick sneezing and had something wrong with his eye. I called and asked if they saw guinea pigs frequently, and they said they do all the time. I was given amoxicillin for his URI and Neobacimyx for his eye infection. Four or 5 days after that his eye infection started to go away and I decided I would look up his medications online and come to see that amoxicillin is toxic to guinea pigs I immediately took him off of the medication, but it was to late he died 4 days after that vet visit. My dad called up yelling at him, and the Doctor said "not many have died on that drug before." I stoped taking my dogs to that vet to and got reimbursed for the vet bill and for the cost of my Baby Bear. R.I.P Bear!!

Second the one that I love!!

Fitchburg Veterinary Hospital
6249 Nesbitt Road
Madison, WI 53719
Phone: 608-271-4212
Fax: 608-271-5951

I have been to this vet a few times and I see Dr Erika lukas. She took a lot of time explaining about guinea pigs and the medications they can and cant have, their diet, and much more. She is very knowledgeable and a very friendly Doctor. She held Bella and Chloe and petted them and talked to them as if they were hers, she even showed me around the Clinic. Very good vet!!!

The one I plan to get Darwin neutered at

Healthy Pet Veterinary Clinic
1440 E. Washington Ave.
Madison, WI 53703

I have not yet been here, but I have called and talked to a few different people and everyone here seems very knowledgeable and they also specialize in guinea pigs.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I started a thread like this several months ago and Teresa shut it down because she has been working on a site for this purpose. Sorry but I need to close this thread. One of us moderators will most likely unapprove it later on.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I know Ly has closed this thread but I wanted to comment on this so that others can see it for at least as long as the thread stays visible.

I was given amoxicillin for his URI and Neobacimyx for his eye infection. Four or 5 days after that his eye infection started to go away and I decided I would look up his medications online and come to see that amoxicillin is toxic to guinea pigs I immediately took him off of the medication, but it was to late he died 4 days after that vet visit.
Any time you are given a medication for your guinea pig, it is very, very important that you look it up before giving the medicine to your guinea pig, especially if you aren't completely confident in your vet's competence and/or experience with guinea pigs. The time to look up the medication is not after you have already started giving it - it may be too late and the damage may be irreversible.

Status
Not open for further replies.