Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Do these piggies look pregnant?

RRDominick

Cavy Slave
Signs to watch out for?

I have adopted a momma and baby piggie. I think the mother maybe pregnant, but I'm not really sure. She had her last litter around 1 1/2 months ago I was told, and I have no idea how she was housed. Her nipples are much larger then normal, but that could be from her last litter right? Plus her little girl keeps nursing from time to time. What should I watch out for? She could have gotten pregnant the day before I got her or any time before that. If she is I don't think she is due anytime soon since she isn't very large, but she is a bit round around her tummy and she seems to drink more water then my boys combined. What are some sure fire signs? How soon would a vet be able to tell if she was pregnant?

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Re: Signs to watch out for?

How long have you had her for?

What do you know about her litter? For example do you know if she had male babies or how long the babies were left with their mother? Or how she happened to get pregnant in the first place? Sorry if you don't know, I know sometimes you get little information about their past.

By the 4th or 5th week I have heard signs will start to become more apparent. They will just become more and more obvious from that point. Has she actually gained weight?

Last edited:

RRDominick

Cavy Slave

I have only had her a few days. The people who were giving her away had 10 guinea pigs. 2 moms 2 dads and 6 pups from two litters. I don't know how many were hers though, I know she had at least one girl but I don't know how long she was housed with all her pups. I guess I am just going to have to wait.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave

Keep weighing her and do it often. This will be a key even though with her age she may gain weight normally, she will shoot up in weight soon if she is pregnant is my guess. My guinea pig gained weight when I got her and she was about 9 months old. Some guinea pigs will just gain weight from diet change and things.

I would double check that the little one is a female yourself if you haven't already. I just have to say that to make myself feel better as I am sure you have checked.

Also, the guinea pig I just adopted is a little fatty. I swear she has like 3 chins. ;) She came with a weight chart started from when they got her (she was suspected pregnant when she arrived). Really, she gained a lot of weight being pregnant and only lost some of it. I don't know if this is common. Maybe she just has some extra weight from that? But the nipples thing is what worries me the most. I'd keep my eye on her and/or take her to the vet if you are still not sure in a week or so. A vet checkup is always a good idea anyway! :)

RRDominick

Cavy Slave

You wouldn't happen to know how soon a vet could tell would you?

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave

I would say 4 - 5 weeks would be a good time based on popular opinion from various sources. It all depends on the experience of the vet and the method they are using to figure it out.

RRDominick

Cavy Slave
What should I do?

I have rrcently adopted and a mother (5 months) and daughter (1 1/2 months) pair. I am considered that they may be pregnant, since I have no idea how they were housed before I got them. The little ones tummy seems to have gotten larger, although I may just be paranoid. If one of them is pregnant I'm sure the other one is too. Should I avoid picking them up if they are pregnant? What kind of change in diet do they need? Should I change their diet now even if they aren't pregnant just in case? I have read that there is a 20% chance of something happening to the momma or the babies being born each time a sow gets pregnant so I'm really nervous. Any advice would be very helpful.

RRDominick

Cavy Slave
I have had these girls for almost 2 weeks, and I'm worried that they may be pregnant. Taking these pigtures was was hard so I hope they are clear enough to get your opinion. They are a mother/daughter pair.

IMG_0942.jpg

This is the mother who has had a previous litter, she is around 5 months old.

IMG_0941-1.jpg

This is the daughter, she is only 1 1/2 months old.

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have merged all your pregnancy threads together. We ask that members start only one thread per situation and keep everything in that one thread. This way we don't have to go hunting down multiple threads to find all your related questions or to get more of the story.

So if you have any further questions about pregnancy, please keep them in this thread.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.