Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Few questions before getting a guinea(s).

lilsoldier218

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Hey i have been researching the past couple weeks and im thinking about getting a 2x3 cage with a 1x2 loft. I would make it bigger but my room cant hold anything bigger.

My questions are.

1.Can my cage have at least 2 pigs?
2.For a stand do i need a full base or can i use alot of grids that are vertical to lay the coroplast on top?
3.Any ideas for a tunnel and how big does the tube have to be for a PVC tunnel?
4. Can the coroplast wall's be any smaller then 6in? I want him to be able to see me? =D

Thats all i got for now but trust me all have alot more questions. Im going to bed to ill check this in the morning to see if any of them will be answered.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
1. Two guinea pigs need a minimum of a 2x4 C&C cage. A 2x3 simply does not provide enough space. Is it possible for you to put the cage in another area of your home? Perhaps a living room, a hallway, or another room that gets a decent amount of regular, not-too-noisy activity. My two girls live in a 2x6 with a 2x1 loft in a hallway near the stairway to our second level, where they can see and hear us regularly, but they still have plenty of quiet. When pigs live closed off in a bedroom, they are isolated and receive little interaction. I encourage you to find another location for the cage.

2. Stands are not exactly my area of expertise as I've never used one. You can check out the pictures of stands in the photo gallery for ideas. I *think* that you'd need to have the bottom supported by grids as well, but honestly, I don't know.

3. For tunnels, I use cardboard boxes. They work great and since my mom goes to Costco a lot, we've always got a constant supply. For PVC pipe, you'll probably need at least 4" opening.

4. No, you don't HAVE to have 6" sides, but it helps prevent the pigs from climbing and keeps bedding contained. If you have this height, your pigs will still be able to see you.

Good luck!

lilsoldier218

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Thanks on that input. I was thinking about doings a 2x3 an a 2x3 on the top with a tube around the outside of the cage to it will take up no space. Also i spend alot of time in my room. A little bit to much...And if it was in my living room my mom chain smokes cigarettes so it would be gross.I got another question if anyone wants to anwser it.

I want to get my pig's pellets and they have some that are timothy hay? So if i got those pellet would i still give them the real stuff to?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.