Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Is this a bad idea?

RRDominick

Cavy Slave
A friend of mine found someone who was giving way guinea pigs on a street corner. What I was told had happened was that two of their females had gotten pregnant, had litters and now they were trying to find homes for all of the pups and parents. Well my friend has a bleeding heart and took a mother and daughter pair and gave them to me! Now they are very cute, and in her place I probably would have taken them to, since these people were just giving them away and asked no questions about what people were going to do with them. They didn't even ask my friend if she had a cage or knew how to take of them! So now I have them. I'm working on building them a cage a 2x4. Now money and time is not a problem for me, but space is. The only place I can find to build this 2x4 cage is in my closet. I have moved and cleaned stuff out so that nothing would be hanging above their heads. I am considered about keeping them in there though. Now the door would be left open at all times, but what do you guys think?

Kitara_CavyMom

Cavy Slave
I don't think this would be a bad thing. Guinea pigs like being in caves and other things. I know my guinea pigs relaxed a lot after I built their cages under my lofted bunk bed. As long as the door is open and the closet maintains a temperature of 65-75 Degrees. If you're worried about air ventilation you could always install a fan or an air purifier. You will want to be sure to have a light in their for them. Have you considered building it up one or two levels? You said money hasn't been a problem, if it's in a closet then building up shouldn't matter. Just be sure the ramp (or pipe) or whatever you use to move them from one level to the next doesn't interfere with their lap-running room.

Here's a few examples of outside-the-cage ramps or ramps that didn't take up as much room that I really liked.

Cavy Condo - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

The "Tajmapig" - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Enclosed cage with external ramp - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
It should be fine. The thing I'm most concerned about is whether the mom and/or the daughter were separated from the males soon enough so that they aren't pregnant yet again.

Good luck and I'm glad they made their way to you.

Molly75

Cavy Slave
I think it's a great idea! Hey, any woman willing to give up her closet for guinea pigs is a true pig lover ;) But like the others said, just keep the door open, give them a light in there, and make sure they have good ventilation. You can always run a fan in the bedroom, not pointing at the closet. That will help keep the air circulating in the room and closet at the same time. Have fun with them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.