Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Sure enough, she is pregnant, but how pregnant?

Huminbird

Cavy Slave
We recently adopted a girl piggy and although she supposedly wasn't kept with a male, she is pregnant. We had a vacation planned in three weeks but I suspect she may have the babies right around this time. I have a vet lined up and all and she is looking great and is such a happy piggy.

My question is, if the babies just started to kick about 5 or so days ago, can this help me guess about when she will give birth. I have done lots of reading and one site says that they quicken around 7 weeks and that they are born around 10 weeks. Does this sound right? Does that mean she has about 2 weeks left until she gives birth? She is still pretty small and probably pretty young and she doesn't seem big enough to be at 8 weeks already. I guess maybe they grow really fast in the last couple of weeks.

On a happier note. I think she is the happiest she has been in her entire life. She is popcorning every day! She loves it when she is returned to her freshly clean C&C cage and runs laps and jumps and bounces in happiness. Although those jumps are turning more into hops as time goes by. She also popcorns when my son (2 years old) comes up to the cage and weets at her. He does a perfect impression and they love each other. At first my husband was wondering what was going on (I missed seeing it for the first week) and wondered if our son was making her jump in fear every time he came around the cage. Nope, she was happy to see him.

Thanks in advance!

Huminbird

Cavy Slave
She is still pregnant and bigger than I though possible. I am keeping a close eye on her and she seems to be doing great. You can see the babies moving inside and if I lay my hand under her belly it seems that she has three or so babies in there. I can feel them moving about but not much any more since there is no more room to move. She can still popcorn but not very well but the pregnancy doesn't seem to slow her down much. I will let everyone know how it goes when she has her babies and maybe post some pictures if I can find my missing camera. I expect them any day now.

Huminbird

Cavy Slave
She Had Her Babies!!!

Well, I guess only time will tell eh?

I decided to stay home from our spring break plans because not only did we have a pregnant piggy, my son is sick and I also got a stomach bug. It just wasn't destined to be I guess.

Anyhow, for the exciting part...she had her babies last night. Nelly gave birth to two beautiful little angles. And of course I woke up this morning to a skinny piggy and two little balls of fur. The mommy, Nelly, is a solid orange piggy with lots of rosettes, probably a Abyssinian. Both of the girls (I think they are both girls but I am no expert) are orange, smooth furred and have a little white star in the center of their foreheads. Also one seems to be a satin. The satin is gorgeous. Hmmm...inventive as I am I may name her Satin but that may be a tad to close to satan.

I do have a question. Satin seems very active and all but the other one is really slow and sleepy. She responds and moves around a little but I haven't seen her nurse yet. I am guessing they are 6 hours old. Will she pick up? She seems warm enough and mommy is giving her lots of love. She doesn't seem sick at all, just sleepy. Does it take a little while for some to perk up? Of course she could have nursed 20 times this morning and I just wasn't peaking into the cavey cozy at the time.

I have a vet lined up but would hate to visit when all I have is a sleepy little piggy that is tired from being birthed. Also, the vet is a bit of a drive away and the added stress of a car ride couldn't be good unless it was necessary.

Nelly, the mother is doing great and so hungry! I gave her some lettuce this morning and put it into the new kitchen (I took the ramp down for now so the upstairs kitchen moved downstairs). It almost drove her crazy. She was jumping and running everywhere thinking I had put it upstairs. She was popcorning and as energetic as can be. I think the last week was a bit tough on her. She mostly ate and laid on her huge tummy. She is still very young and very small. I can fit her in both of my hands, I do have man hands.

Huminbird

Cavy Slave
They were born! I wrote all about them a little while ago but it hasn't been approved by an administrator yet. There are photos in my photo album.

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
They are so cute! Just like mom.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.