PDA

View Full Version : Cage Cage design

staphjermz
03-02-10, 06:28 am
Hi there, I want to build a new cage for my girls when i move into my new house. I have 9 girls now since someone gave me 2 to adopt and was wondering if i made the cage 2 by 11 cube would it not be cramped?? At the moment the width is 3 grids wide but the length is 8 grids and i feel it should be bigger. Do most of you that have a big group, do you normally put the width as 2 grids or 3.

Piggynovice
03-02-10, 08:51 am
I am no expert on large pig groups, but in general wider is better. It increases you square footage quite a bit more. If you go from a 3x8 (35sq ft.) to a 2x11 (32sq ft.) you area actually losing area, so for sure dont do that especially if you are adding more piggers. If you have room for a 3x11 (48sq ft) I would think that should be more then enough space. All in all I would keep it at three wide if you can are maybe make it 4x8 (47sq ft.) that would work well too.

sdpiggylvr
03-02-10, 09:12 am
Are they all females? If they are, your cage should be a 3x11, which would be ideal. If they are all males, you should probably make a 3x12/13 as males tend to be a bit more territorial...the extra space prevents this.

Good luck!

lissie
03-02-10, 12:07 pm
If you calculate based on the minimum size, 2x3 for 2 sows and add 1x2 for each additional sows, 2x11 would meet the requirements. The minimum requirement for 9 sows is 2x10.

If you have enough space, bigger and wider is always better. If you don't have space, 2x11 is enough for them.

leyley904
03-02-10, 12:41 pm
You can keep it at a 3x8, that would be plenty of space! How do you have enough room for such a huge cage?! But, like others said, going to a 2x11 would be getting smaller. And yes, 3 grids wide is much better than 2 grids wide. Even if you have to make it less grids long ways.

leyley904
03-02-10, 12:42 pm
Are they all females? If they are, your cage should be a 3x11, which would be ideal. If they are all males, you should probably make a 3x12/13 as males tend to be a bit more territorial...the extra space prevents this.

Good luck!

A 2x11 is plenty big for 9 pigs. 3x11 is HUGE!

Also, they are girls. I read that she had 17 pigs! Thats amazing! This is based off the info on her profile, plus the two pigs she just got. Good luck with your new cage!

staphjermz
03-02-10, 04:07 pm
I think i have 16 in total now. I did lose a few :( bless their soul. I adopted a male from my parents and adopted one from a shelter and i was given two girls since the family was moving to an apartment and saw i was mad with my guinea pigs. So my numbers has gone up again. You should adopt from a shelter. It's awesome! But the poor guineas.. i thought i had a lot but this shelter had over 50 guinea pigs.

My room is for my guinea pigs. When i move into my new house my fiance and i especially designated one room for them. The girls get a long fine but with the males it makes life a bit harder with 2 in a cage and another 2 in another and another 3 together

(Laugh out loud) It's nice to see people like to look at my profile:)

leyley904
03-02-10, 06:14 pm
I think i have 16 in total now. I did lose a few :( bless their soul. I adopted a male from my parents and adopted one from a shelter and i was given two girls since the family was moving to an apartment and saw i was mad with my guinea pigs. So my numbers has gone up again. You should adopt from a shelter. It's awesome! But the poor guineas.. i thought i had a lot but this shelter had over 50 guinea pigs.

My room is for my guinea pigs. When i move into my new house my fiance and i especially designated one room for them. The girls get a long fine but with the males it makes life a bit harder with 2 in a cage and another 2 in another and another 3 together

I was actually looking for a picture of whatever cage houses so many pigs now! Do you think you could post some pictures of the new cage after you move and get it all set up? I would love to see it!

lissie
03-02-10, 06:42 pm
Have you seen the cage on this page?
My Piggies - The Cozy Cavy (http://www.cozycavy.com/3.html)

xoLauraox09
03-03-10, 09:29 am

16! I thought I had a lot with seven! lol