PDA

View Full Version : Needing a non-messy hay rack?

sdpiggylvr
02-28-10, 03:27 pm
I've had some...issues with my hay rack situation lately. First I tried the classic pet store hay rack - which is horrible. (Don't worry, the pet store doesn't sell animals. Besides, I'd NEVER patronize such a place.)

Anyway, the pet store hay rack made it hard for the pigs to get at the hay. The next thing I tried was just putting it on the ground. That was too messy. The third thing I tried was a tissue box with hay and large holes cut out. That was okay until the pigs hopped in and decided it was their new litter box. :grumpy:

I went through several different boxes trying to figure out which worked best and now I'm so frustrated. They make a mess and waste hay with just about every option I try. :ashamed:

As you can probably tell, I'm beyond frustrated here. I've tried everything and I'm tired of wasting expensive, high-quality hay because they "go" on it. I need a non-mesy hay rack. Any ideas for a hay rack that isn't messy? Currently, I do not have any more grids, so I cannot use that. Unfortunately. So do you have any other suggestions?

I'm at my wits end, here....

Jazlyn
02-28-10, 03:30 pm
What I did was get a tissue box, cut holes in it & zip tie it to the grid a couple inches off the ground. That way they can reach & get hay without going inside it.

Hope this helps!
Good luck! :)

utsarah
02-28-10, 03:30 pm
Don't know if there is such a thing as a non messy hayrack..lol

I use two of the hay balls..not the "Roll in the hay" ones, but this one
Hay Ball with Bell for Small Pets Rabbit Products - GregRobert (http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-23811)

So far I like them.

sdpiggylvr
02-28-10, 03:34 pm
What I did was get a tissue box, cut holes in it & zip tie it to the grid a couple inches off the ground. That way they can reach & get hay without going inside it.

I believe I tried this...or something similar. My pigs love to climb, though, and somehow they still got into the hay box. (UGH!) They ended up sitting in it, declaring it as their litter box, and then having the tissue box break off the zip ties because of their weight. Thus, the box fell and made a mess. Honestly, I think I'm going to go insane. :mischievo

Holly&Fred
02-28-10, 03:38 pm
You can get an under-shelf basket like this one cheap at wal-mart: 12 Inch Under Shelf Storage Basket - White (http://www.organizeit.com/po12hangba.asp?t=2&rtnFile=undshelf&rtnDisplay=Under%20Shelf%20Organizers&SSAID=204502&cmpid=SAS)

Back it with coro or cardboard to keep the hay from spilling over the sides of your cage.

I've been using an old graham cracker box, but they end up just eating the box and tearing it to pieces. Other than that, it works really well.

Edited to add: About you tissue box. The boxes I use are not wide enough that the pigs can climb into them, so that helps with the mess until they pull the box apart.

Piggynovice
02-28-10, 03:41 pm
I actually found something the other day I thought might work. I was at the dollar store and went down the isle with all the bothroom stuff in it. I found all these wire bar soap holders there. They all came with a hook the attach a suction cup to, but I was thinking to just hook it over the grids. It was kind of like this only metal and had a hook.

Clear Suction Soap Cradle by Interdesign Inc - More Bath and shower organizers at doitbest.com (http://doitbest.com/Bath+and+shower+organizers-Interdesign+Inc-model-24200-doitbest-sku-625515.dib)

I would suggest looking in your bathroom organization section at the local dollar store, or walmart, or where ever.

Animals548
02-28-10, 03:42 pm
I just started using a grid yesturday and it makes a mess . How do you people keep your hay rack grid from making a mess! try a pencil box type thing and put that on the ground, they may tip it over but put it in the corner and tie it very tight!

pinky
02-28-10, 03:43 pm
I've had some...issues with my hay rack situation lately. First I tried the classic pet store hay rack - which is horrible. (Don't worry, the pet store doesn't sell animals. Besides, I'd NEVER patronize such a place.)

Anyway, the pet store hay rack made it hard for the pigs to get at the hay. The next thing I tried was just putting it on the ground. That was too messy. The third thing I tried was a tissue box with hay and large holes cut out. That was okay until the pigs hopped in and decided it was their new litter box. :grumpy:

I went through several different boxes trying to figure out which worked best and now I'm so frustrated. They make a mess and waste hay with just about every option I try. :ashamed:

As you can probably tell, I'm beyond frustrated here. I've tried everything and I'm tired of wasting expensive, high-quality hay because they "go" on it. I need a non-mesy hay rack. Any ideas for a hay rack that isn't messy? Currently, I do not have any more grids, so I cannot use that. Unfortunately. So do you have any other suggestions?

I'm at my wits end, here....

I'm nervous about the wire hay racks. Someone I know had their pig break a leg when it climbed onto the rack and got it's leg caught. I use corner litter pans and put a layer of shredded paper on the bottom and hay on top. I clean it out twice a day when I replenish the hay. The shredded paper absorbs any urine which makes it easy to clean and they can easily climb in and out if they want to.

leyley904
02-28-10, 03:46 pm
I've tried several things too, and this is by far the best!
Get a SMALL kitty litter box. You might need to create a little step up to it. You can leave it empty, or put a little carefresh it it. You can either use a bent grid, or a wire basket above that with hay. It will spill into the box, but just dump it out everyday (so carefresh would get a little pricey). I use this thing that is like a wire basket you can hook to the side of a shelf, it comes with hooks on it. I will try to find a picture.

ETA: Oh, it is sort of like that under shelf rack that someone posted a link to. It is similar, not exact.

Here is a good example The girls hay box - Guinea Pig Cage Photos (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/19863)

Piglett
02-28-10, 04:29 pm
Leyley904- Can you please tell me where you got your hay rack? I love it and have been looking for a hay rack that I liked. It looks very easy to manage? Also can you tell me where you got that kind of cat litter box. I haven't seen one's made like that for cats. If you can't remember where you got it could you describe what I need to search in google to find it. Thanks!!!

Jazlyn
02-28-10, 05:56 pm
I believe I tried this...or something similar. My pigs love to climb, though, and somehow they still got into the hay box. (UGH!) They ended up sitting in it, declaring it as their litter box, and then having the tissue box break off the zip ties because of their weight. Thus, the box fell and made a mess. Honestly, I think I'm going to go insane. :mischievo

Ohh, okay. Haha, my piggies have never done that.. they're not that adventurous.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

leyley904
02-28-10, 06:42 pm
Leyley904- Can you please tell me where you got your hay rack? I love it and have been looking for a hay rack that I liked. It looks very easy to manage? Also can you tell me where you got that kind of cat litter box. I haven't seen one's made like that for cats. If you can't remember where you got it could you describe what I need to search in google to find it. Thanks!!!

Aw, I'm sorry, that wasn't my picture! The hay rack is just a grid (that you use to make the cage) bent in half. Then on the back half you put coroplast or some kind of plastic to keep the hay from falling out of the cage. Again, I'm sorry!
The picture is by 3piggymomma. You could pm her!

frillint
03-13-10, 07:12 am
new hay rack - Guinea Pig Cage Photos (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/19992/ppuser/15171)

This is the hay rack that I use. It works really well!!

Toadies
03-13-10, 08:23 am
I use a combination of the hay ball, although mine is about 4 1/2 - 5 inches in diameter, and the small cat box. I cut a door way in the end of the box, line it with clean butcher paper (unwaxed) or newsprint and add some hay to the bottom. Then I hang the hay ball over the box. That way, the piggie boy can lounge in his hay, have clean hay to eat and the paper liner makes it simple to empty and clean the box.

Froggirl009
03-13-10, 08:25 am
There are many pictures of hayracks in the photo Gallaries you could look there for ideas.

SFailed186
03-13-10, 09:46 am
This is our hay rack. It is a bent grid with another grid as a lid. This works very well for us. All we do is open the lid, put in hay, close it and VOILA! You could easily put a litter box or coroplast box underneath it, but we don't. This summer, we are going to having chilling tiles underneath the rack, so then all we need to do is wipe off the tiles and hay won't get stuck to the fleece as much.

frillint
03-13-10, 10:28 am
This is our hay rack. It is a bent grid with another grid as a lid. This works very well for us. All we do is open the lid, put in hay, close it and VOILA! You could easily put a litter box or coroplast box underneath it, but we don't. This summer, we are going to having chilling tiles underneath the rack, so then all we need to do is wipe off the tiles and hay won't get stuck to the fleece as much.

That is a very cool idea!!

JennG
03-13-10, 12:10 pm
I love the small kitty litter pans. I bought them from Walmart for less than $4. I put them underneath my hay racks which keeps most of the hay in one area. I put a thick layer of shavings and then a thin layer of carefresh. My piggies will often lie in the box and eat the hay.
As far as the hayrack itself, I have had a few different ones over the years. In fact, I'm getting ready to redo them again. I like the bent grids w/ coroplast.

Here's what my hayrack is now:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95/JennG2005/My%20Cages/Hayrackin2008cage.jpg

It's smaller than I like it but it holds alot more than it looks. I'm thinking of integrating my entire herd into one large herd and will probably do a bent grid (or 2) for their hayrack. And then I'll use a bigger cat litter box.

By the way, I have no idea what the metal/grid thingy is. :) I had them lying around a few years ago and made 4 of these.

frillint
03-13-10, 01:22 pm
I love the small kitty litter pans. I bought them from Walmart for less than $4. I put them underneath my hay racks which keeps most of the hay in one area. I put a thick layer of shavings and then a thin layer of carefresh. My piggies will often lie in the box and eat the hay.
As far as the hayrack itself, I have had a few different ones over the years. In fact, I'm getting ready to redo them again. I like the bent grids w/ coroplast.

Here's what my hayrack is now:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95/JennG2005/My%20Cages/Hayrackin2008cage.jpg

It's smaller than I like it but it holds alot more than it looks. I'm thinking of integrating my entire herd into one large herd and will probably do a bent grid (or 2) for their hayrack. And then I'll use a bigger cat litter box.

By the way, I have no idea what the metal/grid thingy is. :) I had them lying around a few years ago and made 4 of these.

Is that a brick in your picture. Are they okay for piggys? You use them to help wear down their claws

pinky
03-13-10, 03:44 pm
I actually found something the other day I thought might work. I was at the dollar store and went down the isle with all the bothroom stuff in it. I found all these wire bar soap holders there. They all came with a hook the attach a suction cup to, but I was thinking to just hook it over the grids. It was kind of like this only metal and had a hook.

Clear Suction Soap Cradle by Interdesign Inc - More Bath and shower organizers at doitbest.com (http://doitbest.com/Bath+and+shower+organizers-Interdesign+Inc-model-24200-doitbest-sku-625515.dib)

I would suggest looking in your bathroom organization section at the local dollar store, or walmart, or where ever.

Whatever you use, just be careful that it's not something they can catch a leg or foot in. I don't care for the wire hay racks since someone I know has a guinea pig that broke it's leg when it climbed into it. I prefer to use something with a solid bottom, like a corner litter box.

JennG
03-13-10, 07:02 pm
Yes frillint, it is a brick. I put them under the waterbottles to soak up some of the drips. It's not 100% waterproof but it also helps keep the fleece down in the corner.

pigsforlife
03-13-10, 08:47 pm
I think that no matter what you do, they will make a mess. They are pigs, that is their job! I have a bent grid as a hay rack, they pull all the hay out of it and then soil it. They usually jump up into it and sleep there as well. Probably one of the best things I have done with the pigs (second to bringing them inside and changing to fleece) is to have a kitchen area. It contains all of the hay to the one area, even when they pull it out of the hayrack. This makes it heaps easier to clean, especially because hay sticking to fleece is an absolute nightmare!

3piggymomma
03-13-10, 09:12 pm
Aw, I'm sorry, that wasn't my picture! The hay rack is just a grid (that you use to make the cage) bent in half. Then on the back half you put coroplast or some kind of plastic to keep the hay from falling out of the cage. Again, I'm sorry!
The picture is by 3piggymomma. You could pm her!

Thank you for using my photo as an example leyley! Glad I could be of inspiration.
The hay rack is just a bent grid and I covered the back part in duct tape so the hay cant get through and fall everywhere (they do chew the tape a bit though at times). The box is a corner litter box made for cats, I ordered mine on eBay for $18, and use some bricks for a step up to it. It keeps the hay contained in the box so it doesnt stick to the fleece or fall out of the cage on the floor. When I do my weekly cage cleaning, I dump the box out and wipe it down. My problem was hay sticking to the fleece and clogging the hand vac when I picked up poops, so this solved that problem very well. Of course I have one stubborn piggy who wont go in the box anymore, she will stand up on the side of it and stretch to reach the hay rack, or stand on the step and stretch down inside to the bottom of the box and eat the hay that has fallen on the bottom... but she is just a crazy little thing, haha.

princesspoppy
03-14-10, 05:31 pm
I have the same problem with hay racks. I have used every type known to pig here in Ireland but can't seem to find a proper one. I am going to the u.s on wednesday yipeeeee. So any suggestions as to hwere I can get one would be great.

Onetwo
03-14-10, 05:44 pm
Poppy Where are you going??? I wanna meet u some day!!! LOL You should come to minnesota! Its so nice here today. Hope you have a good flight...Uggg its just making me sick thinking about the jetlag from my last trip to England. If I ever go across the pond again I am SOO making a list of all the friends that I am going to crash with! Haha hope u have a spare bed! Just kidding... Would love to meet those cuties though.

Fredo_and_co
03-14-10, 06:48 pm
I use the wire hay racks but I have them up high so my pigs can reach them but can't hurt themselves. I have never had any problems, but they still mess hay and I don't think there is a way to stop this.

Think of "hay" as a universal toy, they eat, hide, tiolet and play in it. I don't think it is ever wasted my pigs get so much enjoyment from hay and it's not like they play with toys. I love nothing better than filling my hay loft full of hay and watching my pigs play and forage :)!

frillint
03-14-10, 07:50 pm
Yes frillint, it is a brick. I put them under the waterbottles to soak up some of the drips. It's not 100% waterproof but it also helps keep the fleece down in the corner.

Do you piggys chew on the brick? Just wondering I think mine might if I got one.

MercyMom
03-18-10, 08:42 am
Just jumping in here, my piggies have never chewed on our bricks that I've seen. I had to put one in each corner to hold my fleece down (after trying many other things). I also have my water bottle above one. They like to climb on them, but I'm not sure they actually help their nails that much, maybe if the whole floor was brick (not saying to do that of course)! Also they are only like 39 cents so if it doesn't work well....
;) ~Erica