Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C What do you guys think about the cage?

Sekhmet

Cavy Slave
I want some suggestions and opinions to make the cage better.

My goals... to make the piggies happy and healthier. I want them wheaking and popcorning their little hearts off.

I've made a video of their cleaned cage.

YouTube - Cleaned cage plus new refreshing hay

The cage is a 2x5 and is wanting to make a second level.. A 2x2 loft? maybe 2x3.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Where'd you get the heart bowl? I like it... And the cage.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
Just one question, I notice he stuck his head up through a hole to eat a piece of hay. Is the squares the hay loft made of the same size as the cage? Can he squeeze through the holes in the cage? I couldn't tell how many squares each grid had. If not, then it looks good to me. They seem very content eating their hay and running through their tunnel and they certainly like each other. What you going to put on the second level?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It would be easier to offer suggestions from pictures rather than a video, but here's what I would change:

-More hideys! You should have more hideys than pigs. I personally don't like pigloos--I think hideys with multiple entrances are best so no pig gets trapped. They also love running through them. Towel tents are great--they're cheap, easy, take up very little space, and the pigs love them.

-How many holes are in your grids? They should be 9x9, not any fewer. I can see your pig getting his head through the hay rack--that could potentially be dangerous if he tries to crawl through and get stuck.

-What are you using for bedding? It looks like at least part towels. Towels should not be used on their own--if you want to cover them with fleece, that's fine. Towels absorb moisture and stay wet, which can contribute to illness.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
The grids near the hay are doubled, the grids at the opposite end at 00:11 seconds are 9x9.

Sekhmet

Cavy Slave
Hey guys thanks for your fast response.

As you guys are concern about the hay loft... Theirs 2 grids that is 5x5 . I am thinking of lifting the hay loft up higher so the pigs can't stick their heads through the grids. The rest of the cage grids is 100% safe for the pigs.

I'm not sure what I am going to do for the second level..maybe putting another bed or the veggies room where I put their veggies at.

akstrohm, I have full plans of putting some hideys's in their home. I've been trying to find some but not very successful at finding what I want. I don't think I will be getting rid of the pigloo. My pigs seems to like it and it's a life savor when it comes to picking them up. I have thought of adding some additional things to the pigloo.. to make it more unique and to improve it.

As for the bedding... I use carefresh

Last edited:

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
But what are you using in the rest of the cage? It's clearly not all carefresh.

Sekhmet

Cavy Slave
akstrohm, from the bottom to the top.

I'm using a white coroplast sheet that I've covered with newspapers and with a towel on top. I then use an anti pill fleece on top (as you can see) I am using a fleece in the pigloo area and a towel under the rubbermaid Tupperware. I spread the carefresh product inside the rubbermaid tubberware because that's where the pigs mostly use the bathroom at.

So far the pigs are happy as smiling clowns.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.