Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Ivermectin

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
What is the difference between the 1% Ivermectin Guinea Lynx talks about and 1.87% Ivermectin paste for horses? That is all I have been able to find so far.

I was told Maggie doesn't have mites but I want to try and treat her anyway, even though I am scared to death about doing it.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am not sure if there is any difference between the two. Maybe someone else will know. I myself, have used the Ivermectin horse paste for years now. I have never had any problems with it. It has worked very well. My feed store now sells it in apple flavor though I have not given it to my pigs. Knowing how they like apples they may like it to much. LOL

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The 1% is an injectable that is applied either orally or topically. It does not need to be mixed and is ready to apply once you figure out the dosage based upon weight.

1.87% is in horse paste form and requires mixing. It can be mixed with vegetable oil, water or propylene glycol. It can only be given orally. It's also dosed based upon weight.

There are articles and instructions over on guinealynx.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
The 1% is an injectable that is applied either orally or topically. It does not need to be mixed and is ready to apply once you figure out the dosage based upon weight.

1.87% is in horse paste form and requires mixing. It can be mixed with vegetable oil, water or propylene glycol. It can only be given orally. It's also dosed based upon weight.

There are articles and instructions over on guinealynx.

Oh okay thanks! I thought the 1% was what needed to be mixed for some reason so I was worried the 1.87% either wasn't the same or it wouldn't mix out right. I think I just read about the dosage vs weight and associated it with the mixing I had heard about in another post on here.

WildRye

Cavy Slave
In my experience, mixing horse paste with vegetable oil did not work. It was very difficult to get an evenly mixed suspension. I had much better luck with room temperature water.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.