Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Myself and my Guineapig, Panko

Asellus

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. My name is Christine and I've been following Cavy Cage's forums for a few years now while taking care of two crested Guineapigs. I found the information to be helpful and the community friendly. So it's time to reveal myself and my newest baby Guinea Pig, Panko.. also known as Breadcrumb.

Please help me to figure out what kind of coat my Guinea Pig may have. Here are some detailed pictures and one youtube video. Please do not be alarmed at the one of his teeth. My husband and I were checking for imperfections and lucky to find none. Panko is currently in a smaller cage than we intended for him, although we have the materials for a large C&C cage ready when he is a bit older. The pictures were taken before the addition of hay and a blanket.

Some questions I have are:
1. What breed/coat is this specific guinea pig?
2. If you watched the video, how would you describe his reactions/behaviour/sounds to me?
3. Although I have a lot of resources and experience on hand, I'd love any tips and suggestions.

Thanks a lot!

Some extra cute pictures:

(broken link removed) <-- Husband Michael with Panko
(broken link removed) <-- Panko in his playhouse
(broken link removed) <-- Panko playing in his food
(broken link removed) <-- Current setup, w/o C&C

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You can build the C&C and put him in there now. You don't have to wait til he is older. That cage is to small. You just need to baby proof the cage.

It looks like he is a short hair/ American pig.

You may want to look into a bigger cage for your rats. And it's probably not a good idea to have the rats stacked on top of the pig like that.

I don't see any hay in the cage either? It's better for them to chew on hay than a large carrot.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
To baby proof the cage, you can use cardboard or over lap grids or put the coroplast extra high.
Panko is very cute!

Asellus

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it doesn't look great in the pictures, but it was temporary. I use that cage more like a little home, and the C&C is around it as I've done with my other piggies. Theirs was about three times the size, cage alone.

The rats actually get free roam too, ontop of that dresser. They can't get down and for the rare occasion that they can, the pet room has been proofed. I figured I'd get comments about that though, since no one really knows anyone elses situation.

The pictures up top are really for reference as they are currently the best quality pictures I have uploaded of various parts of Panko's body. He's really a cute guinea pig.

I first thought he may be Dutch, but the brown on his rump doesn't completely circle around his body and the brown on his head isn't broken by a line. So I can't really be sure. Is there a regular "American Guinea Pig"? I know of the Crested Guinea Pig, which I had before and some other coat/breed variations but this one isn't so obvious especially since he's young..

Thanks for your cares and concerns! Its nice to know you want whats best.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Awhh, Panko is really cute!
I think he is an american.
I use cardboard to baby-proof my cage..it works good...till they atart chewing it off!

Good luck! :):)

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
Super cute piggy! I don't know enough to tell you what it is, but I wanted to congratulate you one your newest friend!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
He is a short hair/American.

Baby pigs need just as much space as adult pigs. He needs a larger, baby-proofed cage now.

Pigs should have at the most one baby carrot per day. That piece is far too big.

He also needs a hidey to feel safe as well as a friend. Guinea pigs are social animals and should not be kept alone.

Finally, what kind of bedding is that? If it's corn cob, it's not safe and you need to switch to something else (fleece, carefresh, aspen, yesterday's news, etc.).

Sarah84

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the thread, I think everyone else has pretty much gone over everything, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum anyway! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.