Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Candy coated pain killers :(

Bamysmum

Cavy Slave
Oh dear God - my rats found my ibuprofen packet, nibbled 6 200mg tablets out of the packet and proceeded to munch on the candy coating. 4 tablets I found still whole and stored away in various hiding places but the 5th was half eaten and the 6th is missing possibly in one of their tummies :(

As soon as I found the mess I wisked the boys off to the vet who produced the biggest bag of charcol I've ever seen. I had to leave them there for hospitalisation. I've been desperately searching for that one last darn pill to give me hope that it wasn't eaten but I can't find it anywhere....

If they die I will never forgive myself. They were so perky when I left for the vets but they were very anxious when I got there. I was told to call for an update in 4 hours but the clock's ticking so slow.

Sarah84

Cavy Slave
Oh goodness! I'm SO SORRY!!! I had a dog that ate about 10 lbs of chocolate once, we got him to the vet right away, and he was fine after that, he didn't eat for a few days, but was back to himself shortly after that. I hope your babies are ok! The good thing is you got them to the vet, and now they are in best possible hands to be in, in this situation!

Please keep us updated!!!

Katie_Kutthroat

Cavy Slave
I hope your rats are ok! I'm wondering, what would the charcoal be for?

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Good luck, Bamysmum.

Katie, I'm thinking she means activated charcoal, which is not the same thing as what you grill with - it's an adsorptive agent - it binds to certain other chemicals (such as ibuprofen) to keep it from entering the blood stream.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yeah, the charcoal is activated charcoal and makes the ibuprofen bind with it to absorb it from the rats stomach's. The same measure is used to treat pill overdoses in humans.

Please keep us up to date on how your rats are doing B.

Katie_Kutthroat

Cavy Slave
Oh wow, poor ratties!

leyley904

Bamysmum

Cavy Slave
Thank you for all your words of support. So far it's good news. They had 5 sessions of charcoal and medication at the vet and then came home to us to watch overnight. When I picked them up at the vets they were covered in black powder and looking extremely sorry for themselves. The vet was giving them their last injection of medication and I had to swallow hard when they both squealed like guineas and a huge bubble of blood appeared on Joe's creamy back. :S

Anyway, once home I popped them in their cage. DJ our black hooded boy resumed normal activities if somewhat shakely but Joe gingerly padded to the water bottle and started to sway like a drunk. And that's how we uncovered our pain killer munching culprit! My man & I became mother hens specially cooking pasta and getting Joe's favourite munchies from the cuboard. About 4 hours later we found him on his side toes up in the air and we thought he'd had it but low and behold the next morning he's back up on four feet and wrestling with his bro again. Thank God. My partner was up every two hours checking on them much to DJ's delight, he's never had so much attention.

The vet said to keep a close eye for a week. The initial danger seems past but Joe's liver has taken a beating so we're watching like mother hens still.

The odd thing is, my partner said he saw the painkllers on the table near the cage and like me, normally so careful didn't even register the danger! We must have both been very dozey that morning.

Once again thank you so much for your support, it's really appreciated. So glad I had good news!

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
I never knew candy-coated medicine existed. Where was I when these were invented? :eek:
It's good your pets are okay.

Last edited:

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
So glad your guys are ok and that this has a happy ending. May they continue to do well and ok.

HGgrits

Cavy Slave
Oh I'm glad your babies are doing good again, lets hope they stay that way for the rest of the week!
I'm just wondering what Sarah84 was doing with 10lbs of chocolate at her house =D Haha, glad your pup is ok too

scarlett

Cavy Slave
Sending positive thoughts your way for a continued speedy recovery!

Wheekie
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.