Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece What can I use instead of towels under fleece?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I am currently out of towels (temporarily) so I was wondering, what can I use instead of towels under the fleece? I have some ShamWows...could I use that? I've been told it only absorbs when wet, though. Is that true?

Thanks in advance. :cheerful:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Some people use puppy pads or mattress pads.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
ShamWow actually absorbs better when dry, I've found.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I used to use cardboard. It worked really well for me.

Pulsepoint129

Cavy Slave
I am currently out of towels (temporarily) so I was wondering, what can I use instead of towels under the fleece? I have some ShamWows...could I use that? I've been told it only absorbs when wet, though. Is that true?

Thanks in advance. :cheerful:

Hit up your local CVS, Walgreen's, or Rite-Aid and visit the Incontinence aisle. There should be underpads made by either Depends or the store's generic version, (I get CVS's generic because I work there and get a better discount that way) and I would recommend getting the Super Large ones.
I think they're cheaper and just as good as puppy pads--and in most states there's no tax on it considering it's usually counted as a medical care product.

ppqppq

Cavy Slave
Flanelette from old flat cloth diapers or receiving blankets works really well. Obviously it absorbs urine well and washes easily.
Don't tell my daughter where my grandson's receiving blankets went.

Piglett

Cavy Slave
I used to use shamWoWs and found that they worked ok, but the absorption would be sub-par sometimes. It really depends on your piggies, and if you're going to commit to that cost because as far as I know they are still 20.00 you should look into the cloth medical incontinence pads that are used in the hospital to keep the patient and bed dry. I used to be a CNA and we used these in the nursing home, they work like the cloth diapers for babies, but wick the moisture a little faster and they are re-usable with somewhere in the upper thousands for wash cycles. Just either ebay them or google them, this is what I'm going to order when I get my piggies since I know they work and control odor VERY well.

PinnyGig

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Has anyone ever tried re-usable puppy pads? I've seen them at the pet store and they seem like they would work...probably similar to a reusable incontinence pad...they come in several sizes, and would probably be both less expensive and more environmentally friendly

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
I use wood shaving under my fleece. And it works perfectly :)

Sarah84

Cavy Slave
I use wood shaving under my fleece. And it works perfectly :)

Is it difficult to get the shavings off the fleece before you wash them?

Personally I will be using puppy pads, Walmart now carries larger packages of 50 pads. I'm going to look into washable puppy pads though, I used cloth diapers on my girls, and saved a ton, and I have still have the detergent that I used for the diapers, so I can use that on the puppy pads.

Sarah84

Cavy Slave
Ok, so here's the cheapest place I have found that says washable puppy pads. These are the large size, and they have a rubber backing to keep them in place. They are machine washable, and you can dry them in the dryer as well (although I never did that with my diapers, so I would probably hang dry these as well.)

(broken link removed)

Hope this helps! :D

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
Is it difficult to get the shavings off the fleece before you wash them?

Personally I will be using puppy pads, Walmart now carries larger packages of 50 pads. I'm going to look into washable puppy pads though, I used cloth diapers on my girls, and saved a ton, and I have still have the detergent that I used for the diapers, so I can use that on the puppy pads.

I used to use newspaper under the fleece, it worked fine. But now I use plastic mesh (the smallest inner square that I can get) between the fleece and the shavings to make sure it won't get messy. I use 2 fleece sheets to make sure the plastic mesh won't hurt my piggies. :)

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
I sew my fleece to a mattress pad so maybe you can use that. =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.