Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

So I've just got two little girl pigs.

WithyPig

Cavy Slave
Well this is my first post to this forum and my husband and I brought home about a week ago two little girls. One a brown teddy 1 month old and the 2nd a grey and white crested who is 2 months old.
These are our first Guinea Pigs and I have to say we have a lot to learn.
We did get these two from a breeder who is well known and obviously takes good care of her Pigs(we toured the place). She was great with answering questions and encouraged us to make sure to take two home instead of one. Her Pigs were obviously healthy well socialized and happy and it was wonderful to see.
My little brown girl Snuff(short for snufalapagus) is a sweetie already, coming to the door of the cage for treats and wheeking in the morning when I make a plate of veggies for them. She allows me to pet her and lies down when I do so I'm guessing she likes it. Still a bit nervous on the lap but every time improving. Seems to be a chatterbox too.
My Grey girl on the other had we can't work out. Mind you she did go into heat this weekend (yep one week after we got her) and did the whole rumblestrutting thing around poor Snuff. We've been trying to work on a name for her letting her natural personality show through. I'm a bit scared we've got a Diva on our hands..... My husband started calling her Rain (and Raincloud when she bullies Snuff). We're trying it out to see if it fits.
She seems to be comfortable on our laps (seems to prefer my husband too) she stretches our sticking her back legs out and just lies there while we pet her. She's never wet us whilst on our laps and all in all seems a bit more timid with us in the cage. She's allowing the occasional pet now and then but seems to be nervous of our hands. She does take treats from our hand but you can see she likes it less than Snuff who has already worked out that looking cute brings treats (veggies)
We are very gentle with them and I think they will come around nicely. So far they popcorn and chase each other every evening in the cage so they seem happy(except for the drama last night with Rain rumblestrutting and Snuff kicking and running away complaining as she ran).
Any advice and comments would be welcome :)

2pigs2kids

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum! Be sure to read all the stickies in each section, you'll learn a lot here! What size cage are you using and what are you feeding?

Please, in the future if you get more pigs don't get them from breeders or pet stores. There really is no such thing as a 'good breeder'. There are already so many homeless pigs out there. Next time, I would encourage you to adopt from a shelter, craigslist, or petfinder.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! I would suggest reading all the stickies as there is a wealth of information on this site. It's never ending.

WithyPig

Cavy Slave
Hmm Cage size (Temporary Cage) 3ft x 2 ft. Until we get their C&C cage built. Just deciding with hubby how much of the living room he wants them to take over....
Food is All the Timothy Hay they can eat (and they eat lots) NutriPhase Gold Pellets (1/8th cup per pig) and Fresh Veggies in the morning and as treats. And Fresh water every day.
We did look for Rescue Pigs but surprisingly there were none at the rescues (lots of Cats dogs bunnies and rats). On KiJiJi and Craig's List there were only 3 males over 2 months and we are a bit nervous about the whole cleaning a Boar's bits so we were looking for girls.
We could have bought down the road at PetSmart but we decided to drive 1.5 hours to get them from the hobby breeder who seemed to be taking good care of her Pigs and was from what I understood (while we talked to her for 2 hours) doing some Rescuing of her own. I have to say that I would love to have the set up she had. Her animals all looked so happy and healthy and she was great at answering all the questions we had.
I look at it as meaning that people do keep their Guinea Pigs for life here and hopefully we will be able to as well. :eek:ptimist:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.