Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help! Trying to build new cage - lots of questions!

Baubler

Cavy Slave
Okay, here's the deal. My go Charlie (who's fabulous!) now lives in an ample sized "pet store" bought cage. He's very happy in his little home, and frequently has full run of my space at his leisure, so I think he's doing quite well.

However, I think he's starting to get lonely, so I'm making plans to adopt a friend for him.

I want to make a C&C cage, but I'm going to need to use some alternative materials to do it, I think.

I have looked all over the site and there's lots of great info., but I'm not sure I understand it all correctly, and I want to be sure I don't do anything that might hurt my piggies.

Here are some of my questions:

1.) Is it safe to use cubes to support the cage? How many do you think I will need? I live in an apartment and I don't really have enough space for a proper table to put the cage on.

2.) how big (how many cubes/grids) should I use? If you have a second level, can you include that space in the total available space amount?

3.) With the linoleum bottom - can you use tiles, or does is need to be a solid sheet? I'm of course going to put something soft + bedding on top, too.

Any other advice on an inexpensive way to put together a cage would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, all/

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hello! =)

Ok, I think you have 2 pigs right? Then a 4x2 is needed but you can go bigger if you want! You will need 12 grids to make this cage, 8 more if you are thinking of building a roof

You can't really include second level space, thats sort of extra. If you are really pushed for space then I suggest making a 2x3 with a 1x3 loft. If you put the ramp near the edge of the cage, you wan't take up too mcuh running space (take a look at my pics in the gallery for ramp ideas)

I use solid linoleum which is a couple of mm thick. You can use tiles if you want, but you have the chance of pee seeping through. I suggest get a solid sheet. If you want to use loose bedding then you need to make sides for the cage. It will be hard to make sides with the lino tiles.

To get a cheap cage, ask for offcuts from the carpet store. Toys can be homemade as can hay racks. I think walmart sells cubes very cheap/

Good luck!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Ok, I can't read. You only have one pig so a 2x3 is acceptable. You'll need 10 grids for this cage. If he's a loner big then a bigger cage will be exciting for him

Baubler

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Piglet.

What about supporting the cage?

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
i'm in the almost done making my first C&C cage and I'm using grids to make a stand. There are pictures in the photo gallery of cages with grids supporting them so I'm guessing it works. Good luck

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
There are many pictures in the galleries here of cages that are built entirely on the grids themselves. I believe that it would work just fine and it would give you extra storage for your guinea supplies that would not take up extra space.
(I am not sure if this is what you meant, but its how I understood your question)

Baubler

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Everyone!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
1. Mine is built on grids (see my gallery!)

It's great that you're already thinking of adopting him a friend, please do! If you need more info on that, see www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm.

If you're having trouble finding coroplast, you can look at www.guineapigcages.com/where.htm or www.fastsigns.com, and you can look in the yellow pages or online for different sign companies. There is also a store that sells cavy cage kits (coroplast, grids, etc.) here (https://guineapigcages.com/buycc.htm), although shipping can be a bit expensive.

2. See the home page for space requirements (www.guineapigcages.com). A single boar may be housed in a 2x3, but as you are considering a second a 2x4 will be much better. A second level is "extra" usually, unless the cage is really huge and has an extremely large upper level! Try to figure out a way to make a ramp so that it will not interfere with the pigs running laps or taking up too much floor space.

3. If you need to use linoleum, the tiles (as previously said) would allow urine to get through the cracks. A solid sheet is best, especially since you need sides (also said before). See https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=512&password= for pictures of alternative cages.

Hope this helps, best of luck to you!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If you have a second level, can you include that space in the total available space amount?

No, extra levels do not count towards the square footage of the cage.

laura220

Cavy Slave
No, extra levels do not count towards the square footage of the cage.

It doesn't? I thought it did..well now my plans are mixed up..

kalrik

Cavy Slave
CHeck out my gallery. My cage is two grids high, its completely sturdy.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
What a doofus - You're thinking of adopting another pig, so you'll have 2. What is wrong with me???

Squirle

Cavy Slave
For my piggies, because I cant find coroplast. Im jsut making the cage wit hthe grads and using fleece bedding.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Poo will come out the sides of the cage all over the floor if you have nothing to hold it in. Also you have to have something absorbant under the fleece or your carpet will be ruined.

Piggy Friend

Cavy Slave
they say 2x4 is best for two piggies. However nothinng tragic will happen ifit's a 2x3, please keep in mind that bigger is better. A hay loft would be good because then the bottom will be for running! I haven't built my cage yet so i'm using your replies to help me!!!!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Why the heck are people still digging up 6 month old threads and replying to them. Look at the dates on the last responses please and if it's older than say 3-4 months, leave the thread alone unless you have something extremely valuable to add.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.