Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps My pig is afraid of the ramp?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I made my pigs a 2x2 loft yesterday with a ramp made of two bent grids. They like the loft, and I do too, but my oldest pig, Maggie, seems afraid of going down the ramp. :ashamed: She doesn't mind going up, which is weird.

What could I do about this? How do I make it so she's not afraid of the ramp?

Thanks in advance.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cover it with something temporarily -- fleece, cardboard, whatever. Put treats at whichever end she's not at.

Does it have a side rail? If not, you may need to add one to make her feel safe.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Yes, it has a side rail and is covered with fleece. So I have no idea why she won't go down!

dkottler

Cavy Slave
I just went through the same thing except mine would go down but not up. I would pick him up and put him on the top level and he would go down the ramp on his own but never up on his own. We coaxed him with food and hay and he would only go to the landing and not up all the way. Finally I put my hand behind his butt and "walked" him up and he's been running up and down every since. It took about three days. The other one got into it right away!

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
Is the fleece sliding when they walk up?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
No, the fleece is completely secured.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Maybe it's steep for her. Try adding one more bent grid for the ramp.

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
I made my pigs a 2x2 loft yesterday with a ramp made of two bent grids. They like the loft, and I do too, but my oldest pig, Maggie, seems afraid of going down the ramp. :ashamed: She doesn't mind going up, which is weird.

What could I do about this? How do I make it so she's not afraid of the ramp?

Thanks in advance.

I did all of the above suggestions - covered ramp, secured floor, treats, putting piggie on ramp. Tasha was leary for the first day and Carley wasn't buying any of it period.

So the second day I put only part of thier greens on the main floor and the rest was in the loft. By that evening Tasha had it mastered but Carley would not touch the ramp. So I picked up Carley and put her in the loft. She gave a couple of warning sounds and Tasha came to her rescue. They talked back and forth and the Carley followed Tasha down the ramp.

The now both run up and down without any issues.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
sdpiggylvr, sorry, I wasn't very clear in my first answer. I didn't mean cover the ramp itself in fleece, I meant put a top over the ramp. If it's totally open on top, it may be too frightening for her. Several people have posted that they've laid cardboard over the top until the pig got used to going up and down, then removed it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.