Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression How do I stop this?

SpacePig

Cavy Slave
I recently re-introduced my dominant girl to the other three after she had to be separated due to an operation. I had to use the Buddy Bath to get them all back together as she attacked all three other girls.

Now however she is bullying Chewy, I have found two patches where her fur has been pulled out so hard that the skin has gone with it. She gets visibly scared whenever Rugby goes near her. I don't want to separate them as it would mean Rugby living on her own and I don't have the room for a cage that would be big enough for her, but I cant just let her continue to be a bully.

Can anyone give me any advise? They are in a 2x6 C&C.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Did you introduce them in neutral territory?

SpacePig

Cavy Slave
Yer, neutral territory. Also while she was separated from them I kept their cages next to each other and they would all touch noses. I would also switch around their cozy's so that her smell was still in the main cage.

At first she constantly attacked all of them so I had to separate again. I then thoroughly cleaned the cage and put down fresh fleece and bathed them all together. That at least has calmed her aggression, though not completely. They all lived together before her operation quite happily, though it was difficult at first to inter-great Chewy (the one being bullied) into the group around six months ago (I took her from a family who had lost interest).

I'm really at a loss here.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Is it possible she's still in pain from her surgery?

SpacePig

Cavy Slave
The surgery was just before Christmas to remove a cyst on her back. It was only just under the skin so was a minor surgery, its completely healed now, I cant even find the scar anymore.

The only thing I can think of is that while she was separated she was in a smaller cage (old pet shop one so too small). This has caused her to get a little bigger, and she has always been very strong so now she is able to pick on the others without them being much of a threat to her.

PiggieJewel

Cavy Slave
Gosh, I'm no expert, but it does seem serious that your dominant pig is causing Chewy so much distress! Is there any way you can expand your cage to either 3x6 or 2x7? Maybe the girls just need a bit more room? I do hope one of the experts sees your thread and can chime in with some advice! Good luck to you and your piggies!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
How long were they back together before you separated again?

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I think that you should at least try to expand(It solved all of my problems:)! ).

How much does she weigh? If you is overweight you may want to put her on a diet.

SpacePig

Cavy Slave
They were together for around half an hour before I had to separate again. She was so violent, she drew blood from one and launched a full on attack on another, I threw a tea towel over her to break up the fight. They were terrified.

As for her weight gain, she isn't overweight, just a little bigger and now that she has more room for exercise I'm sure she'll get back to normal, plus they get plenty of floor time.

Perhaps expanding is the way to go. I cant go to a 3x6 as our flat is teeny and getting past them is awkward enough. I could try and convince BF to let me go to 2X7

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.