Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage How would you keep a cage warm?

coojoe135

Cavy Slave
I got out my precious little girl and she was freezing. The cage is lined with fleece, they have a cuddle cup, and a pigloo. I try to keep the house at a minimum of 72 degrees, sometimes it gets higher. Even when I use bedding it doesn't keep them warm. They are always cold no matter what type of bedding. Does anyone have an ideas?:)

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
I live in Wiscosin and we've had some pretty cold nights here but the "Girls" stay toasty. Even though the cage is on an outside wall and I have wood flooring - which tends to make the room feel colder.

But the cage is off the floor, Fleece/Towel blanket on bottom of cage, I put extra fleece scraps under their hidies and my heat is never goes above 68. I do make sure they're given extra hay and veggies during this cold snap.

Hopefully others have ideas for you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How do you know they're cold? Seventy-two degrees is just perfect for them.

coojoe135

Cavy Slave
When I picked her up she was shaking a little

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Mine shake when I pick them up and it is nice and warm in the room I keep them in. Are you sure it is not just "nerves". My two remain nervous about being picked up, even though I try to handle them each day.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt they're cold. They're just bundles of fat and fur, and should be able to keep themselves quite warm in a 72 degree room.

Just keep holding them, giving them a little treat every time you pick them up, and if they like snuggling in a cup or a piece of fleece, let them do that in your lap. They'll get over it eventually.

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
One of mine in particular gets cold easily. I'm of the opinion that it's because he prefers to sleep next to the hideys instead of inside them, but after a while he starts to shake and his teeth chatter -- on in the "anticipating food" way, you can tell he's cold (I've read on here that their teeth can chatter when they're cold, that's the first thing I looked for to make sure). So far.... well, he stopped, but I'm not sure why. The house isn't any warmer. Here's what I did, who knows what helps.

Anyway. I try to keep cuddle cups in the cage so that they can lay inside something that's well-insulated. The one I have right now is made from a short-pile fur, which they LOVE. Scrap pieces of fleece under hideys didn't work for me, they stopped using those hideys. If it gets particularly cold (and usually a few minutes after I notice it's gotten cold, Fred is affected), and if they're just laying around, I add more hay or get a leaf of lettuce or clean the cage because it encourages them to move around and run laps and popcorn, or it sends them into the slightly warmer hideys to hang out until I'm done, and usually they get comfy and stay there, I'm assuming because it's warm. Lastly, if nothing seems to help, I'll take them out individually and wrap them up in a towel or something and have a little lap time.

I've heard the use of warm watter bottles covered by towels/fleece/etc underneath favorite spaces, like many people do with cold ones in the summer. Haven't tried that one though.

EDIT: sorry, according to that temperature no, they shouldn't be cold, just nervous. But I know that my thermostat's wrong ans 68 means more like 60, so I can crank it up to 71 before they actually start to get warm. If you find out it really is cold enough that they're getting cold, that's what I did to fix it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.