PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Smelly cage

horsiecutie
02-01-10, 04:37 pm
My cage is so smelly no matter what I do! I think I'm going to go back to fleece bedding soon so that will make my life easier but even when I had fleece the cage smelled. I clean the cage every other day and wipe it down with vinigar/water solution every time I clean it but it still smells. Any suggestions?

Kipsie
02-01-10, 04:42 pm
It depends on what you're using under the cage, and if the fleece is absorbing (no waterproof layer). I use two layers of matt pads and 5 layers of newspaper in my 2x4 cage (well, I am kind-of elaborate with my layers...) for two females.

tabikat55
02-01-10, 05:00 pm
All I use is fleece and an extra thick bath towel from Walmart. A couple times a week I vacume poops and mine never smells. I have girls also. But then again I also have the kitchen area that gets totally emptied and refreshed with new Carefresh/Yesterdays News.

bpatters
02-01-10, 05:14 pm
horsiecutie, how big is your cage and how many pigs do you have in it? And what kind of absorbent layer do you have under the fleece?

Fleece won't work well in a cage that's too small -- there's not enough absorbent layer to ever dry in any place.

Penny
02-01-10, 05:57 pm
I have two layers of towels and two layers of fleece. I use carefresh in the litter pans (I have 3 pans). I sweep out twice a day and change everything twice a week and don't have any issues. I have two very messy boys :D

leyley904
02-01-10, 06:42 pm
It looks like she has a 2x4 with 2 pigs. I am not sure though. What under bedding are you using.

ferndalezoo
02-01-10, 08:47 pm
2 layers of fleece is too many. You only need a single layer. Using 2 can prevent it from wicking properly.

meaakn33
02-01-10, 09:29 pm
I use 2 layers of thick towels and a $4.99 fleece blanket from kmart.. What I do is in the middle of the week I pull just the fleece off and lay a clean one down, leaving the towels. Every Sunday I totally strip the cage and replace all linens. I havent had any problems. Of course any pet cage doesnt smell like roses but there isnt the smelly odor I use to have with the bedding I use to have. I have a 2 x 5 with 2 gp's. I have only used fleece for about 3 weeks now and wouldnt change back for nothing. I love the fleece I bought 5 different prints at kmart.. each were $4.99. They were 50 x 60 and fit perfectly!! :)

kavykeeper
02-04-10, 04:01 pm
I use fleece pads made out of cotton batting with an outer layer of fleece on both sides, stitched together. I use single ply sheets of Sham-ease underneath. Over the top I place a single layer of unlined fleece that I can easily pick up to shake out the droppings. I clean the cages every other or occasionally after three days if there is no odor. The top layer of fleece can be replaced if need be and laundered with the rest of the bedding later. My cages are 4 x 2 and I have four cages. I have one female pair in one cage, two single females and one single unaltered male. They are all rescue guinea pigs that will never be bred. I think one of the key factors to keeping it odor free is laundering with one cup of vinegar added to the laundry. I soak it for about an hour before it goes through the rinse cycle.

ferndalezoo
02-09-10, 09:48 am
I use fleece pads made out of cotton batting with an outer layer of fleece on both sides, stitched together. I use single ply sheets of Sham-ease underneath. Over the top I place a single layer of unlined fleece

The flece pads are a neat idea, but I wouldn't use the extra top layer of fleece. That puts two layers of fleece on top, which is too many and will interfere with the wicking action.

kavykeeper
02-09-10, 06:18 pm
The flece pads are a neat idea, but I wouldn't use the extra top layer of fleece. That puts two layers of fleece on top, which is too many and will interfere with the wicking action.

I haven't had any problems with this. The top layer is always completely dry. It's easy to just pull these off and shake them out. I've used the fleece pads without the top layer but prefer using the extra layer because it's easier to shake out. It hasn't interfered with the wicking action at all. I'm guessing it's due to the fact that it's wicking right through both layers. I've tried all different methods and made fleece pads with terry cloth, polyester batting and cotton batting. The cotton batting worked the best and laundered nicely. The terry cloth was too heavy and the polyester didn't aborb the moisture. The cotton batting worked so well, I no longer had to use terry cloth to line the cages under the fleece pads. I use those thin sham wow or sham ease sheets underneath.