Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Not Labled-

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I just got my first shipment of Kleenmamas today. I ordered 5lbs Bluegrass, 5lbs 3rd cut Timothy and 10lbs of pellets. The only problem is, the hay bags were not labled so I am not sure which is which.

The one I suspect is Bluegrass is a lighter green colour, longer pieces and a bit rougher then the other.

The one that I think is Timothy is softer, darker green and has shorter pieces.

Am I right?

Sounds right but it's hard to say. Why don't you send Linda (KM's) an email and ask her?

I suppose I could just do that! :)

I think the bluegrass has a spicier smell than the timothy. The bluegrass also has a bit rougher texture, almost feeling a little prickly when handling at times.

I think the bluegrass has a spicier smell than the timothy. The bluegrass also has a bit rougher texture, almost feeling a little prickly when handling at times.

Spicier?

The smell, not the taste. Each hay has a unique smell.

I have 3rd cut Timothy now and have had bluegrass in the past. I remember the bluegrass literally having a slightly bluish tint. If memory serves me, it is a little darker than the Timothy. Also you may find a few seed heads (though there aren't many) in the Timothy and some slightly brownish pieces here and there.

Here's a picture of the 3rd cut from my gallery photos if that helps any.

Not Labled-

I think I had it right- the Bluegrass seems a bit rougher, the Timothy has had a few seed heads but not too many. I am so happy with the products- the pigs just couldn't be happier!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.