PDA

View Full Version : Racoons

tinkerbell
03-09-05, 06:56 pm
Hi everyone :) I was wondering, does any one have any info about C&C cages and racoons? i have so babysit one for a month in the summer and before my friend gets the racoon i would like to know if i/she could use a C&C cage for the little fellow. thanks ------ Tink :0)

pennick
03-09-05, 06:57 pm
Arent racoons illegal to own?

LiciaMommycott
03-09-05, 11:24 pm
From what I know about racoons they will be able to easily escape from a C&C cage. Also, I think it would be horrible to keep a racoon in a cage. They are large animals that like to roam around. That would be like keeping a cat in a cage.

I don't recommend them as house pets either. My friend had a racoon that roamed free between inside and outside and it ruined ALL of their furniture by chewing it and tearing it up. It was very friendly but they could never train it to leave the furniture alone.

bunnyluv17
03-10-05, 10:59 am
Raccoons are wild animals and belong in the wild.

Anyone who thinks they can handle a raccoon as a pet is crazy; it would be like having a perpetual two-year old who can climb, bite, and scratch.

pennick
03-10-05, 11:35 am
I have seen many programs relating to racoons that have gotten into people's homes and they had to have the animal rescue come and get them out. They always warned about how racoons are very nasty and can do terrible harm to ones body.

Couldn't quite understand her writing about babysitting. Did she babysit the racoon? I don't know, doesn't sound right.

tinkerbell
03-10-05, 11:40 am
i know that they are not sutable as pets and i'v tried to tell my friend that but she won't listen. her cousin rescuse them from the humane society so she's not taking it from the wild. she is going to Germany for one month in Augest and I have to take care of it but I have to keep it in a cage at night ( this is only if she does get one)I wouldn't keep it in the cage all the time just at night so that it couldn't get in to anything. does any one have any more information for me ? thank you again :) ----- Tink

pennick
03-10-05, 11:45 am
Are you sure she got them from the humane society? What Humane Society adopts out racoons? Never heard of this. I heard of fostering baby racoons so that they can go back out into the wild. Maybe this is what you mean? Anyway I can't help you on this one. sorry

tinkerbell
03-10-05, 12:26 pm
Well she said that her cousin gets them sometimes when people bring in "orphaned ones" ( probley just finds them) he (her cousin) has about 6 raccoons before and now she wants one. she live on a farm and has lots of room. are they really into bitting even if you have had them since they were little. (still need bottle; little)

suzy_99
03-10-05, 12:50 pm
I have heard of this, but people usually get them from the department of natural resource. This department is not usually involved with extensive rehabilitation (at least not around here) and they will put down an animals it cannot be easily treated. In these cases, where an animals cannot go back into the wild, a private party can usually take in the animals, so long as they will treat them in a humane way (cannot keep them for food). I personally see no problem with this if it was a raccoon that could not go back into the wild.
I am not sure if a c&c would work good or not. You would have to ensure that you use mental locks that are not easily picked. I have actually seen a racoon escape from a live trap before and those are almost impossible to get out of. Remember that they are really crafty and sneeky and can get out of almost anything if they wish.

DocDolittle
03-10-05, 03:57 pm
I've seen a raccoon get into our garbage can with a padlock on it, bungee cords holding it down, and a cinderblock on top. They're incredibly crafty, so be careful about their cage( and I also say that the raccoon shouldn't be kept as a pet, for the above reasons).

Plummie
03-11-05, 11:25 am
Here's an excerpt from the following website: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4119.asp

"If a raccoon is kept as a pet, he must have the run of the house. He should have a room of his own. In his own room, he can have his own bed. Raccoons are very destructive and have a tendency to dig large holes in a bed to nest. He should have his own stuff then he will be less inclined to destroy your stuff. Your raccoon can retreat into his own room and should feel safe. Provide him with pillows, blankets, and sheets. Give him plenty of safe toys. They love balls, stuffed animals and many of the infant and toddler toys on the market. Raccoons are destructive but if they learn from an early age on, they will learn to leave your stuff alone.
Your home must be raccoon proof. All cupboards should have locks. Raccoons are very proficient climbers. All knickknacks should be locked up. There is no such thing as being out of reach of a raccoon."

That being said, I personally don't think a C&C cage is a viable option for a 'coon. They are extremely intelligent and I would worry that the raccoon would chew the connectors of the C&C apart (whether it's the plastic connectors or plastic cable ties), and will figure out a way to free themselves.

tinkerbell
03-11-05, 12:19 pm
Thanks for all the information. I was talking to one of the people I work with (at a vets) and she said that like 95% of all 'coons have this type of weird worm. She also said that people can get this worm and it goes in your eyes and it's just really nasty! I told my friend all of this and I also said that I wont come over while she has it because I don't want to give it to my younger siblings or pets, but she's going to get one any ways and is going to just see how it goes.

Do you think that if she raised it from when it was younger and then when it was older do you think that she could let it go? or would it not know what to eat and hunt and such.

suzy_99
03-11-05, 07:14 pm
I don't beleive that she could ever let it go.

I find it really weird that she is able to get a baby racoon from the humane society. Babies are not usually seen as "hopeless cases", as are many adult animals, and are usually rehabilitated into the wild. I live in Canada also and I know that around here there are laws forbidding having a wild animal, unless it is for rehabilitative or fostering purposes (fostering can be lifelong if they cannot go into the wild), but this long term fostering would never be for a healthy baby. I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't have laws like this in Ontario. I remember one time when I found a baby crow that had falling out of its nest. I called the department of natural resources and they told me that they would come and "take care" of the bird. Instead of that deadly fate, I decided that I would try to nurse him back to health and I was told that if we kept him for over a certain amount of time that we would have to apply for special permits and such just to have him in the house. Does your friend not have to do this?? Anyway, you really should try and talk your friend out of this.

tinkerbell
03-11-05, 10:09 pm
I was tlking to her again today and the raccoons aren't from the humane society, her cousin just has people bring them to him when they find them because they know that he has raised them before. I'll try to talk to her some more later and try to convice her not to get one but I have a funny feeling that she will no matter what I say or do by telling her.

gpcarman
03-29-05, 06:37 am
I don't beleive that she could ever let it go.

I find it really weird that she is able to get a baby racoon from the humane society. Babies are not usually seen as "hopeless cases", as are many adult animals, and are usually rehabilitated into the wild. I live in Canada also and I know that around here there are laws forbidding having a wild animal, unless it is for rehabilitative or fostering purposes (fostering can be lifelong if they cannot go into the wild), but this long term fostering would never be for a healthy baby. I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't have laws like this in Ontario. I remember one time when I found a baby crow that had falling out of its nest. I called the department of natural resources and they told me that they would come and "take care" of the bird. Instead of that deadly fate, I decided that I would try to nurse him back to health and I was told that if we kept him for over a certain amount of time that we would have to apply for special permits and such just to have him in the house. Does your friend not have to do this?? Anyway, you really should try and talk your friend out of this.I'm from Canada too. Some just out of my town fosters baby coons but later on let's them go. But here (in Canada) as - sorry, forgot who posted, but you have to have a permit from the ministry and cannot keep them as "pets"

Ketus15
03-29-05, 05:19 pm
As far as advice for housing the racoon for a month. It sounds as if you're going to have to change your entire house and lifestyle! Perhaps a large dog kennell with lots of bedding and a padlock would be acceptable for overnighting.

Are you even going to take it with the worm possibility?

tinkerbell
04-02-05, 10:47 am
no I 'm not going to take the coon anymore if she gets it or not. I don't want the responsiblelity of haveing to change my whole life around for the critter, and besides I don't want to have to deal with the whole worms thing too. I told her(my friend) that even when she does get it I'm not going to even come over because of all the trouble that can happen and that I don't want to get involved with it.

holli'smommy
04-10-05, 01:10 am
If people are just "bringing them to him" than how do they know they don't have rabies? Racoons are notorious for carrying rabies, maybe you could mention that to your friend as well.

holli'smommy
04-10-05, 01:44 am
I just found two links that maybe of use in your mission they are:
http://www.rabies.mnr.gov.on.ca
http://www.bellaonline.org/articlesp/art4119.asp
Maybe the info here might make her change her mind.

tinkerbell
04-11-05, 10:09 am
I've told her the risks and she told me that they don't get rabies! I know it's mean and all but what kind of a person doesn't think that they can't get rabies! I have told her that they are illigal to have, they can get those worm things and that they carrie rabies but she just won't lissen, she thinkis that sonce her cousin or who ever she gets it from has had them before that he knows every thing about them, which he doesn't. She told me that all that his do it just sit on his shoulder and eat marshmallows! My friend doesn't think that they need REAL food and not just whatever.

thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out.

holli'smommy
04-11-05, 11:48 am
Your welcome. I really hope that she changes her mind, not just for her sake but for the raccoon. Just remenber that you have plenty of support here and that if you need any other help, liks, etc. Let us know. I think that is completely ignorant of her to say that raccoons can't get rabies, because there is a specific strand of rabies that only raccoons can carry!Maybe you could try to get her to visit a local rehabilitation center for raccoons and talk to a real expert.

tinkerbell
04-13-05, 11:37 am
do you know where any local rehabilitation shelters are in the Kitchener-Waterloo area? If there is one close by then for sure I will take her there and then maybe she can see that she really dosen't want one- hopefully

tinkerbell
04-13-05, 11:38 am
Sorry, I just read where you live (Calafornia!) I guess you woun't know where one is in Canada would you. Sorry again

Louis
04-14-05, 02:34 am
To be honest whats a racoon

charliesmommy
04-14-05, 06:55 am
Raccoons are somewhat nasty animals in my opinion. They love to forage and get into things and carry all kinds of diseases. Plus, don't forget they're nocturnal. It would be most convenient for we who sleep at night to keep the animal locked up then since it would be unsupervised, but nighttime is their main time of activity. All this being said, who in their right mind would want a raccoon as a pet?

If you ask me, there are some animals that are meant to be wild. Opossums, squirrels, raccoons... it would be cruel to try and domesticate them, and honestly who would want to?

Note: if an animal is being helped because it cannot be reintroduced to the wild that is a completely different case, such as people who adopt from humane societies and that sort of thing.

holli'smommy
04-14-05, 10:43 am
Louis, a raccoon is that animal with the black and white face that looks like a mask. They have a striped tail and can get to be the size of a mall dog. They are a problem in the U.S. and Canada because they get into garbage cans and spread rabies to other wildlife and pets.

tinkerbell
04-14-05, 03:34 pm
maybe Louis didn't know becasue I spelt raccoon wrong- sorry my bad

Baby Bears
04-29-05, 10:25 am
I have a bad feeling that this is going to end up as a novelty pet for your friend. You know, where it's all fun at first, then the novelty wears off, and then she won't want it anymore. THEN what will she do with it? She can't let it into the wild, it won't survive and there are not exactly "Raccoon Rescues" all over the place. I don't think she should turn it into DNR, she might get in trouble for having it in the first place! You just wait, she'll have it for maybe 3 months and then not want it anymore. And the poor little creature will be on it's own.

tinkerbell
04-29-05, 04:06 pm
no she wouldn't do that! she takes geat care of all her pets, she lives on a farm. I didn't think that she would take very good care of it at first but becasue she doesn't have the internet , I looked up a lot of info of her. I still don't want her to get one but at least now she has the info- right?

Right now actually, she hasn't talked about it much and maybe she forgot about it so I won't bring it up and maybe seh will forget. ( I have my fingeres crossed) :)

Sabriel
04-29-05, 05:21 pm
Louis probably doesn't know what a raccon is because they don't exist outside of North America. Same goes for skunks (which I hear make good pets.) Many people at work (we have about a half a dozen North American born people where I work, everybosd else is from someplace else.) ask me what the "stinky cat with a funny white stripe" down the street is.

holli'smommy
04-30-05, 12:50 am
That's funny, I bet they are surprised when they go to pet it! My mom had a pet skunk when she was little, it never sprayed because of how tame it was.

tinkerbell
04-30-05, 11:08 am
alot of people have skunks as pets and I think they ususally "de-sent" them so that they don't spray, because even if they are tame, if they get scared they will spray and I think it would take a LOT of washing to get the smell out of the house.

tinkerbell
05-03-05, 07:07 am
so no C&C cage would hold the little thing?

Baby Bears
05-03-05, 07:57 am
Raccoons are pretty crafty. I don't think a C&C cage would work. Maybe if it was really strong and you are positive the lid won't open. Raccoons are known to open latches, and all sorts of things.

VoodooJoint
05-03-05, 09:06 am
A raccoon could rip apart a C&C in a matter of seconds...even if you used zip ties.

tinkerbell
05-03-05, 10:34 am
well okay. thats good, because then I can tell Racheal and she will kow that I for sure am not going to "babysit" her coon if she gets one. Ihope to god that she doesn't (my fingures a still crossed)

onyx979
05-04-05, 07:19 am
Hey Tinker,

Being a fellow Ontarioian (SP?) i know for SURE that you can NOT adopt or foster a racoon unless you have a licence. I know this because a friend of mine brought 3 baby 'coons home from teh farm one day and was trying to find homes for them. Yes they are cute, but in a matter of 1 hour they pretty much wrecked her living room. We called around to diffferent agencies and they all said that it was ILLEGAL to own 'coons in Ontario without a licenece. This licence was for REHABILITATION ONLY. They are not to be kept as pets. We HAD a wild life rehabilitation center just outside of the city limits (Ottawa) but it got closed down because the goverment changed its funding policies. Sad i know. But if anyone is caught with "wild life" with out a licence they are charged and fined heavily. Please inform your friend ASAP. I hope everything works out for your friend and the 'coons

Onyx

tinkerbell
05-04-05, 01:53 pm
thanks for that note on the rehabilitaion thing. I will for sure pass it on to her. I was wondering thought that if no one found out she had the coon then she couldn't get fined right? Her cousin (or who ever she got this idea from) has had like 6 coons in the past few years and has never gottten in trouble (althought I wish he did.) I think that this guy is a nut too, because he told her (my frined) that all the 'coon needs to eat is mashmaloows! what an idiot. no wonder some of his coons only lived for a few months!

suzy_99
05-05-05, 02:16 pm
It sounds like these racoons will be kept in very bad conditions compared to what they actually require. I hate to reccomend this, but I personally would report her. I could see if she knew what she was doing, but she obviously doesn't and the raccons life it at stake. Its just as bad to know that an animal is being abuse/neglected and do nothing as it is to actually abuse the animal yourself.

DragonTamer
05-05-05, 04:48 pm
.... there IS a thing called a domestic racoon... much like domestic skunks (they were originally bred for fur).

if she wants a pet racoon she may want to look into one from a breeder, and be sure to know how far removed from the wild it is (generations-wise).. and if the breeder hand raised or handled from birth or not..

I've seen some pretty albino racoons, and a cinnamon colored one..

also um.. marshmallows are ok as a treat for coons.. but obviously not a staple.

also check with local and state laws. they vary. some states it's legal to keep one as a pet, others you need a license, and others it's completely illegal.

VoodooJoint
05-05-05, 05:19 pm
This forum does not advocate breeding. Please do not encourage people to buy from breeders. Especially from people that breed wild animals...no matter what the color variations they have managed to mutate the animals into...that are potentially dangerous and never meant to be pets.

DragonTamer
05-05-05, 05:31 pm
I'm sorry voodoo I do not belong here, as although I firmly and strongly believe in rescues for various animals, I will say that others you should seek out responsible breeders for. a racoon would be one of those animals, as a wild racoon would be VERY dangerous compared to a captive-bred domestic one. That is like trying to keep a pet wild norway rat, instead of a domestic rat as a pet (which.. can be done but you'd have to hand raise it from a baby and it's not recommended..... and they do often revert to their wild state).

I'll stand firmly by what I believe in. Sorry.. if I'm unwelcomed and kicked then so be it, but I believe that if this person wishes to do the research, has the time, money, space, vet, everything, then more power to them.. although from what I've read they seem extremely misinformed and need better education, questions should be asked and answers from exotic owners with actual experience should be given. However, I am not a raccoon owner... so I cannot help flat out with caring for them, just with what I've seen/been told/read here and there in exotics places.

VoodooJoint
05-05-05, 05:58 pm
Dragon. I never said you were going to get kicked off the site. The fact is that we do not advocate breeding. Another fact is that there are no domesticated species of raccoon. The breeders that raise and sell racoons are selling wild animals. Hair color is determined by hair genetics...not by a different species.

The breeders that sell raccoons as pets take the babies from their mother at an early age in order to make them more people oriented. This is a cruel practice as it traumatizes both mother and babies. It does not make the babies' wild instincts stop as they develop.

This girl should not have a raccoon at all. Racoons are wild animals that are best suited for free living...not a life in a cage when the cuteness wears off and the destructive and potentially dangerous behavior starts.

http://www.pattyswildliferescue.com/20_reasons.htm
http://members.tripod.com/loveanimals0/id18.htm
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/4892/petraccoons.html

State's Legal and Illegal to own Raccoons in. Last updated 2000
http://www.mnsi.net/~remocoon/regulats.htm

Sabriel
05-05-05, 07:35 pm
Sometimes I wish Canada was more orginized. I tried to find a list like that for Canada. I know raccoons are illegal to own in Ontario but a list like that might help convince her.

suzy_99
05-05-05, 08:49 pm
If she knows that they are illegal to own, what more would you need. You should also be aware that there is a severe rabbies scare going through Ontario right now and DNR's main focus is on raccoons and you can bet that if your friend was caught with one, she would probably get the maximum penalty available for endangering public safety.

I also found this on Ontario's Department of Natural Resources site:

40. (1) A person shall not keep live game wildlife or live specially protected wildlife in captivity except under the authority of a licence and in accordance with the regulations. 1997, c. 41, s. 40 (1). Exceptions

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to,

(a) a person who keeps game amphibians or game reptiles in captivity for the purpose of personal consumption;

(b) a person who keeps in captivity for the purpose of personal education a single game reptile, game amphibian, specially protected mammal, specially protected reptile, specially protected amphibian or specially protected invertebrate, if it is not designated by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada or the Committee on the Status of Species at Risk in Ontario as endangered, threatened, special concern or vulnerable; or

(c) a person who keeps game wildlife or specially protected wildlife in captivity for any educational or scientific purpose, or for any other purpose, if the person has the authorization of the Minister. 1997, c. 41, s. 40 (2); 2002, c. 18, Sched. L, s. 3.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/97f41_e.htm#P664_41076

I hope that this helps at least a little bit.

tinkerbell
05-06-05, 10:28 am
Wellshe dosen't have the raccoon yet but she wants to get one. Thanks for all the advice. I think that here in Ontario is it against the law to have them and because she lives on a farm she thinks that it wouldn't matter,I have now told her other wise now thought. With the mashmallows, the guy would feed the coon them ALL the time,the coon would just sit on his shoulder and he would feed it mashmallows everyminute. I don't knowif this was all he was feeding it but that is all I know.

suzy_99
05-06-05, 11:40 am
The quote that I just gave you is from Ontario and it clearly states that owning (captivity) raccoons is illegal, unless you fit under one of the exceptions, which your friend does not.
That other guy is just stupid in my opinion, nobody can have that many marshmallows and still be healthy. That's just common sense.

Jacqueline2003
05-20-05, 05:02 pm
I need to know if anyone has any information on orphaned racoons & what to feed them. If you could please help me out I would appreciate it.

tinkerbell
05-21-05, 11:29 am
why? did you find one? if so you should contact your local humane society or wildlife place they would know what to do.

Jacqueline2003
05-21-05, 04:23 pm
Someone did find some & I am wanting to raise them. I have done 6 squirrels before & then let them go when they were able to eat on their own, but I don't know what to feed raccoons.

suzy_99
05-22-05, 04:33 pm
How do you manage to let them go...don't they get too use to human interaction and being hand-fed. I personally believe that you should hand them over to your department of natural resources (or whatever its called where you live). Most places have special rehabilitative centers for wild animals that were orphaned or hurt in some way and they have vets there that can care for them. Personally, I have no idea what raccons eat besides wild berries and stuff. (I do know that they love our garbage, but I don;t know what they are actually eating out of it). In my opinion, if you don't know what they eat, how can you expect to know about all of their health concerns that may arise while they are in your care?? I don't know...I think a wild animal should be in the wild or in the care of trained professionals that can offer the best of care to them.

Fab_Cavy
12-06-05, 09:42 pm
Tinker - Do you think you could ever talk your friend into volunteering for a wildlife rescuer (a legit licensed one)? We have a few of these around here and they always are looking for volunteers. It would be a great way for your friend to get her racoon yaw-yaws out, and learn their proper care. She'd also get a first-hand look at what happens to a lot of wildlife that gets taken in as pets. Many wild "pets" get dumped when their owners realize they don't always adapt to captivity.

Hi, Dragon - I agree with you. If Tinker's friend is hellbent on getting a racoon she should be legit in obtaining one. However, Voodoo (lots of MD people here :)) speaks truthfully.

I've had dogs, cats, guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, rats, and ferrets (ferrets have been domesticated longer than cats!). The only wild animals I've ever owned are sugar gliders. Sugar gliders have been captive-bred for over 50 years, however they are NOT domesticated and I will be the first to say they have been the most difficult pets to ever own.

Domestic pets are more predictable and fit better into everyday life. They are more trainable, and way easier to vet. It is also a great comfort to know your pet is legal in most states and if he/she accidentally nips an aquaintence, he/she will not automatically be beheaded for rabies testing.

Most importantly, domestic animals are HAPPIER living with humans than most wild/tamed pets. For this reason, when my glider girls pass away (which will be soon as they are already 10 years old) I do not plan to obtain anymore.

Racoons are much more dangerous animals than sugar gliders. They are even more dangerous than a dog or cat. Racooons have nasty bites, and can do some serious damage to a person or another pet. I've heard of them killing small dogs and cats, and maiming people.

They are also highly intelligent, and if you don't constaintly entertain and socialize with an animal like that you are no more than a prison warden or an abuser. There are very few racooons who are happy in captivity, and fewer people who are capable of being good racoon owners (though I know a few people like that do exist--but they are usually rescuers).

This doesn't mean someone couldn't become a wildlife rescuer, a wild animal vet, zookeeper, or find some other profession or lifestyle to quench their love of such a magnificant creature. It comes down to what is easy versus what is right.

Ly&Pigs
12-06-05, 10:31 pm
Please always check the dates on the last post before you add to it.

l_eris_l
03-07-06, 01:43 am
Just a note about the worms she was talking about. These are roundworms, Baylisascaris sp., and are very common in wild skunks and racoons. The larva are indeed capable of traveling to the muscles (visceral larva migrans), brain (cerebral larva migrans), and eye (occular larva migrans), though this is rare. You need to injest the egg of the worm (found in racoon/skunk feces) to become infected with this.

Also, dogs and cats very commonly carry roundworms and the exact same thing can happen. Racoon and skunk roundworm tend to cause cerebral larva migrans more commonly than the dog and cat roundworms (they more often cause occular larva migrans), so in general you are no more likely to get this condition from a racoon than you are from a dog or cat.

But racoons are wild animals and still should not be kept as pets, for all the reasons already mentioned.

~Eris~

parasitology graduate student :)

Percy's Mom
03-07-06, 05:20 am
As already stated, please check the dates on previous posts before adding new information to something. It's been 3 months since anything was posted on this thread, and it was 7 months before that. If it's been more than a month or two since any "conversation" was on a thread, it's a good bet that the original person isn't checking on it anymore, and no one else is really looking for it either.

l_eris_l
03-07-06, 05:48 am
Sorry. So is it not allowed to reply to old threads?

Percy's Mom
03-07-06, 08:44 am
It's allowed, just not recommended. Typically if one of the threads has been sitting idle for over a month, no one is paying attention to it any longer. Usually, it's best to just let them die.