Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Divided cage

crystalllynn

Cavy Slave
I'm preparing for introductions in a few days and have a question. The 2 girls are in a cage now with grids separating them. Since they are already in the "same" cage, do I need to do a complete cage clean when I do the introductions?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yes, you do need to do a complete cage clean after an intro on neutral territory.

Why are they in a divided cage?

crystalllynn

Cavy Slave
Yes, you do need to do a complete cage clean after an intro on neutral territory.

Why are they in a divided cage?

Jolly had a c-section and spay last Tuesday.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Well i hope you are not planning on letting them be together any time soon. Because the one who had surgery needs to heal for at least 2-3 weeks.

crystalllynn

Cavy Slave
The vet (very cavy savvy) said 7-10 days. The opinions I have gotten on this have been varied from a few days to 3 weeks. The vet said that losing a whole litter would be hard on her and companionship would be a good thing.

ameyjaney

Cavy Slave
I would give Jolly plenty of the time to heal and keep the set-up the way it is at the moment. As they are divided by grids at this present time, they will still be able to interact with each other and be social.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I agree with Amey. They can socialize through the grids. But if you put her in with the other one and they start to mount and such she could tear her stitches or hurt herself running around. The average time for a human c section heal is like 3 months. But that doesnt mean at 3 months you can run a marathon. Nor does it mean that you cant get out of bed and take care of yourself and your household. Its always best to err on the side of caution regardless. I'm sure you would feel terribly guilty if she tore something and bleed internally.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.