Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Two Boars

PancakesWaffles

Cavy Slave
In October my guinea pigs had babies and I obviously removed my male guinea pig and put him into a seperate 2X4 cage. They had two babies and I had been hoping one would be a boy and one would be a girl, but that didn't work out and both are girls. Now my boy has been alone for a few months. Honestly, he seemed to be a lot more social by himself. He played with his toys more, greeted me, enjoyed investigating while I vacuumed or took pictures of him. I figured maybe he truly did need a friend, so I got another boar. They are only a few months a part in age (both are adolescents).

I introduced them in neutral territory, with a plate of veggies. They chattered their teeth at each other, sniffed each other and did very minimal attempts to mount each other. I supervised them for 30 minutes in the bathroom, with no real "attacks" so I put them in their (newly fleeced, sanitized, two of everything, nearly scent-free) cage together.

They just hide in their houses, chase each other in a circle once in a while and basically pay no attention to each other.

I can't decide if it went TOO well and pretty soon there is going to be a severe battle (it's been 24 hours in the cage) or if Waffles is peed off at me for sticking another boar in there with him.

Any advice on boar bonding would be much appreciated:). Will they ever be BFFs? Or are they just going to continue virtually ignoring each other? Or am I going to have a blood bath one of these days? :confused:

poisonapple88

Cavy Slave
I have two boars right now in a 2 x 4 and they still chatter and mount each other once in a while. If they haven't fought in the first day they probably won't fight then. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the first time they meet shows whether they'll be okay.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Boars are territorial and occasionally get irritated with each other. As long as there hasn't been blood, there's no need to remove any one of em.

PancakesWaffles

Cavy Slave
Waffles is about 10 months old and I can't be certain on Oscar's(the new one's) age but I'd say 5 or 6 months old. He is smaller than Waffles but is larger than my 4 month old girls.

I was thinking introductions would be more difficult because it's not an adult and a baby.

poisonapple88

Cavy Slave
They should be okay. My pair is a one and a half year old and a six month old.

Guinea Pigs Social Life

If you go down to introductions it will explain the process. Although, since they didn't fight on neutral ground they should be fine. My boys don't play or socialize that much either.

hoperrrr

Cavy Slave
We've just had boars over the past 4 years and they get along pretty well. They rumblestrut now and again, but usually it's just the alpha reminding his roommate who's boss.

Giving them a bath together can be quite a bonding experience. We've done that a few times. We don't make it too gradual, we keep them separate as long as we have to for quarantine and then we throw them together. There are some battles, but never anything bad. They become best of pals usually and actually look after each other.

Have fun with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.