Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Awaiting some piggies

GrnMtmom

Cavy Slave
I have given this a lot of thought. I have been reading and reading to learn all about G.Pigs. I love this site! I decided I would get everything ready so that I would be good to go when I find some piggies (I want 2). I am working on making a C & C cage (2x4 at the least). I am still tracking down coroplast.
I have a source for hay (bale). I need to get food but since I don't know the age of the piggies, I am not sure what to get and think I might have to wait on that.
I have experience with house rabbits (don't currently have any) and this will be my first time with guinea pigs.
I do have 2 dogs but the guinea pigs will be kept away from them. One of them is sweet and loves the neighbors cat so while I am erring on the side of caution, I think she would be ok. Our other dog is older and doesn't get around well and there is no way she can get up the stairs to where the piggies will be. I also have 3 children, the youngest is 9 but the guinea pigs will be mine and I plan to take care of them and be responsible for them.
I am patiently waiting to adopt/rescue some pigs. I live in a very rural area so it isn't easy. I will be calling around this week (I got one of my rabbits from my vet who had rescued him), so you never know where or when they might turn up. I am keeping a wary eye on Craiglist.
In the meantime, I am reading everything I can here. Thanks.

Piggynovice

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I hope you find everything super helpful. I also want to say a HUGE HUGE thank you. Thank you for being responsible enough to look up all this information BEFORE you got a pig. I am also one of those people who researches everything before doing it. I would have been one of the people who did everything wrong right away, and spent a whole ton of money on stuff that had to be replaced because it wasnt right, if I hadnt researched before getting my pig. I just want to again say thank you for figuring out what you are getting into before running out and getting a pig.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have given this a lot of thought. I have been reading and reading to learn all about G.Pigs. I love this site! I decided I would get everything ready so that I would be good to go when I find some piggies (I want 2). I am working on making a C & C cage (2x4 at the least). I am still tracking down coroplast.
I have a source for hay (bale). I need to get food but since I don't know the age of the piggies, I am not sure what to get and think I might have to wait on that.
I have experience with house rabbits (don't currently have any) and this will be my first time with guinea pigs.
I do have 2 dogs but the guinea pigs will be kept away from them. One of them is sweet and loves the neighbors cat so while I am erring on the side of caution, I think she would be ok. Our other dog is older and doesn't get around well and there is no way she can get up the stairs to where the piggies will be. I also have 3 children, the youngest is 9 but the guinea pigs will be mine and I plan to take care of them and be responsible for them.
I am patiently waiting to adopt/rescue some pigs. I live in a very rural area so it isn't easy. I will be calling around this week (I got one of my rabbits from my vet who had rescued him), so you never know where or when they might turn up. I am keeping a wary eye on Craiglist.

We have a super rescue right here in Vermont - (broken link removed)

There are some really nice pigs there. The males are all neutered and there are some sweet females. I am in Vermont, too. I have a 2 x 5 c&c cage for my two females. I am glad to help in any way. PM me if you want !

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave

See my post below on a rescue. I got my coroplast in Rutland and found a source in Essex and Pittsford when I was searching, they are all approx. $20 per sheet. I have PM'd you and I'd be happy to help you in any way. Nice to see another Vermonter on the site !

GrnMtmom

Cavy Slave
I adopted my guinea pigs finally! Thanks to DuffinVt for her help. I was in contact with a woman who has a rescue ((broken link removed)) and she found 2 females and offered them to me. She lives about 2 hours away from me and she even drove half way to meet me.

I made the mistake of telling my boys they could help name them. What a fiasco that turned out to be. We agreed on Bella for one with no problem. The second one has had no name until tonight when I finally said "Enough! This poor girl needs a name. She will have a name tonight." So now we have Maisie. They are being shy but I will try to post a picture of them when I get it.

They "wheek" quite a bit. If they know their food is on the way, they wheek very loudly. Sometimes they are kind of quietly making noises. They are eating great. They obviously never had green peppers before but I left them in the cage and they were gone when I checked on them. They are drinking water just fine. I am also happy to say the C & C cage seems to be working out great. The fleece is going really well. I keep checking it and it is dry, so it is wicking correctly.

I am trying to just give them some space and time to get used to their new home. I talk to them a lot but haven't tried to pick them up yet.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
What kind of food are you feeding???

They sound adorable!!!!

GrnMtmom

Cavy Slave
I have some Kleenmama's on the way. It should arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, I have given them a tiny bit of the pellets that came with them. Then they have had salad (spring mix), peppers and a baby carrot. They have lots of timothy hay too.

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
I can't wait to see pigtures! What lucky pigs you have. If anything, your pigs could use a bit more varitey in veggies. You can try some cilantro and zucchinni and I am sure some others can give you some suggestions too.

ppqppq

Cavy Slave
What lucky pigs to have you care enough to learn first. Congratulations on your new piggies.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
I am so glad this worked out so well !

I nearly fell off my chair. Re: my rambling message to you about naming our pets after family members. I failed to mention my daughter's cat Maisy named after my mother's cousin ... Maisie. Maisie was Bella's cousin, too, second cousin once removed or something ... how funny.

"Our" Maisy is an old lady of 15 now. A feisty tortoishell cat.

Anyway, enjoy your new little girls and keep us posted on how they are doing !!

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Oh, and just in case we have others in the Northeast who are interested in adopting, it is (broken link removed) (.net at end). I have not had the pleasure of meeting the owner in person, but hope to in the future. She has gone out of her way to rescue guinea pigs (and horses, by the way). If you, or someone you know, wants to adopt, please do check out the site. Her adoption form is extensive, as GrnMtmom can attest, but that way guinea pigs go to great homes with responsible owners.

PiggieJewel

Cavy Slave
YAY to you for adopting your piggies! I would love to see pictures, but do know you don't want to freak them out. As for veggies, yes, give them a variety. There are stickies about what is good for piggies and what is bad for them. Good to introduce just one new veggie at a time and see how your piggies like it, how it reacts with them. I've had the experience of broccoli causing gas with one of my piggies, so I feed that in very small quantity and not every day. Good luck with your new babies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.