Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigs available in Minnesota

Allysse

Cavy Slave
We have many guinea pigs available for adoption.

TCGPR

Paula's Pigdom

Calvin and Hobbes are still available. Both are neutered. They are behaving and are much calmer. Email [email protected] for more information.

Dapple has a potential new buddy, this is Sunny:

Once Sunny is done with quarantine she will be ready to be introduced to Dapple.

Tigger at the Minnesota Valley Humane Society is young and needs some socialization but otherwise he's a real cutie and could really use someone to love! (broken link removed)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
They're all so cute! Hey Allysse, I got the piggy pages and flyers in the mail--I've already given one to our local vet (for our dog, that is), at Scenic Hills Animal Hospital. Thank you so much! Sorry for getting off topic, but I've been meaning to tell you before I forget. :)

babycavy

Cavy Slave
Hi I recently joined the forum and posted my cage. I just built it. i have not gotten a Guinea Pig. Someone said that I should adopt from an animal shelter. I live in Northern Minnesota and I cannot find rescued guinea pigs. However, I went on the website and i like Rizzo and Gonzo. Can you email me with more information? thank you.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
babycavy, you should adopt two cavies, of the same sex. Please do read www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm for more information. I also live in Minnesota (St. Paul), and if you need to find somewhere to adopt from just email or pm me with your area. Good luck on finding two happy pigs, and it's great that you're adopting! If you haven't found www.cavyspirit.com or www.guinealynx.info you should take a look at those sites for some great information. Best of luck to you, and welcome to the forums!

babycavy

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your reply. I live in Bemidji, MN and I recently called a family that said they had guinea pigs. I did not care about the price. I went over there and looked at them. There were sadly about 7-8 pigs in a small cage. Males and females were mixed. They were infested with lice. I feel compelled to take all of them but my dad would not let me. What should I do?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You should find a pair of pigs from a rescue or reputable shelter. Mncavylover said she will help you find some. Did you email her?

babycavy

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
babycavy, you should adopt two cavies, of the same sex. Please do read www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm for more information. I also live in Minnesota (St. Paul), and if you need to find somewhere to adopt from just email or pm me with your area. Good luck on finding two happy pigs, and it's great that you're adopting! If you haven't found www.cavyspirit.com or www.guinealynx.info you should take a look at those sites for some great information. Best of luck to you, and welcome to the forums!
I would love your help in finding two piggies. I looked on petfinder and I think I would like two sows. They are easier to care for and I found two on an adoptiong site and I emailed the lady. I have also decided to buy a bigger cage from Twin Cities GPig Resue. I am so excited. Thanks for your help. Oh, I am located in Bemidji, Minnesota.

Allysse

Cavy Slave
Sorry I didn't see this until today. MNcavylover- you're welcome. As my note said, let me know when/if you need more.

These pigs are no longer available for adoption:
Bernie, Pepe, Gonzo, Whopper

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks babycavy! I'll try to keep an eye out for you. I'll check and post asap.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave

babycavy

Cavy Slave
I just need to lay this down to the cavy world.

I thought about having a guinea pig for about two years and finally I am in the situation where I can have one.
January
About three months ago a left a note at one of our Local pet stores, Pet Zone, and told them I wanted a male, tricolor, short hair, smooth coat, baby.
I also spoke to a family that had a litter and lived locally about the same time.
I decided to wait until the pet store got a baby in...something told me to wait
Three Weeks ago
I got a call that the pet store had a male, etc. in and I told them I was coming down to get him. I wasn't able to come until the next day. They sold him. They had others, 1 white one and one brown one. But I wanted a tri-color so I waited. I left them a deposited this time so once he was in they wouldn't sell him.
I started doing research on the website for the care of cavies. All the sites listed I researched when I had time after work or class. I started to collect supplies and build a cage
Last Friday
I got the number for the the girl that was raising the guinea pigs locally and Sat., my birthday, I went to her house. Of course, I fell in love with one. This beautiful black and white male. I brought it home in a carrier. My coroplast cage was all ready. I was so excited. I looked up some information on boars because I noticed it has this "grease" spot on its back. He was about 1 year old. I gave him a bath. I noticed he has white dandruff stuff on him. Then, I started reading about diseases. I read about lice, mites, etc. I had put the guinea pig in the cage. I then gave it bath with very diluted flea soap. I held it in my arms. My dad got a magnifying glass and we saw white stuff all over, esp around the eyes where I didn't wash. I realized he was infested. I thought, what else could he have? I wanted to rescue them all and at the same time I was creeped out. He went home. And the owner gave the story, I had no idea, etc. She said she was going to cure it and call me. I decided, not a good idea.
During the last week
I went to Petsmart, Petco, mall Pet Store.
I went to Petsmart this last week and all they carry is sows. At this point I decided I wanted only females. They had about 10 baby cavies all females. I was in heaven. Every color, type you can think of. I started watching them. As I observed them, most of them with scratchy a lot, and I heard sneezing and I thought, no way! I am not going there.
After all that.
I was so fortunate to come across Allysse site, Twin Cities Guinea Pig Rescue. I no longer care that it is tricolor as to its health. I know so much now things to these awesome sites. THANK YOU ALL. I was happy to find out that Allysse has taken them to the vet, guarantees them, and is helping me build a cage. I got rid of the first cage I built, after all the lice in the cage etc. I had just about said, "NO CAVIES". Well, I have talked to Allysse just about every day this week. I planned to adopt Gizmo, but he passed away. Now, I want to adopt Rizzo and Andy. However, there was a problem with possibly pneumonia and a few died. SO, I need all your prayers. I have gotten lots of roadblocks but if it wasn't for them I would have realized the importance of rescuing guinea pigs and why it is necessary. SO after all this I just want to thank you to everyone for helping me thus far and to help pray for my piggies that they are healthy and can come home with me in a couple weeks.

LOT of LOVE!!!!
These are the two pigges, RIZZO and ANDY!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Those are the cutest pigs ever! I'm so glad you found Allysse's rescue, it's a really great one. Best of luck to you, Andy, and Rizzo! :)

Allysse

Cavy Slave
All the pigs are doing fine.

Allysse

Cavy Slave
Dapple and Sunny are doing great together!

babycavy

Cavy Slave
They are adorable, oh I cannot wait to bring two home. Thanks for everything!

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
Hi! I am from MN too and just wrote to say how much I enjoyed this thread. I did not know about the cavy rescue when we got our boys in January, so we bought ours at Petco. We love our boys so much, so we are happy to know they are not in those tiny cages in Petco or at a home where they don't get the attention they so deserve.

However, I wish we had checked a rescue. I often check Allysse's site to see who is available. I know we can't have anymore (we have already maxed out our cage size), but I like to check anyway. I wish they had a specific cavy rescue up here in Duluth where I could at least help out or build some cavy cages for them.

Babycavy...enjoy your new pigs! They are so adorable!

Cool~Cavy~Momma

Cavy Slave
Wow... there sure are a lot of MN Cavy owners here. :eek:)

I too didn't realize that there were guinea pig rescues around. We got our first male from our youth pastor at church and we got Joshua our second guinea pig at a local pet store. Had I realized there were rescues and adoptions for guinea pigs in Minnesota I would have gone that route.

Be blessed!

Cool~Cavy~Momma

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
There really are so many rescues here in MN. I wish I had gone to one of them instead of Petco, although I do love my Boys so much. I just didn't know about cavy rescues back then. Anyway, welcome to the site, C~C~M! It's nice to have another Minnesotan on board. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.