Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Signs of impending birth?

Farli129

Cavy Slave
My 14 month old sow, Marmalade, is definenantly pregnant. I have no idea when she was bred. The person I got her from lied to me about her being with a male. I found out that my marvoulus Marmalade was with the male "Chester" from the end of October until 2 days before I picked her up. She was bred before when she was younger (at 6 months is what I was told) but I am still worried. Are there any signs of birth before it happens? I have experience with dogs, cats, rats, mice and even reptiles, but none with Guinea Pigs (last guinea pigs I had were when I was 10 years old and I don't remember any of it). Dogs, cats, rats mice and reptiles go off their feed a little, but I know guinea pigs usually don't. All previously stated animals of which I have experience build nests of some sort. I know guinea pigs don't. Are there any signs of impending birth for guinea pigs?

BTW, she is eating great (a lot...she loves her greens and peppers!), drinking lots, moving around a bit (have stuff spread out a bit to make sure she gets enough exercise) but she is resting a lot. I can feel and occasionally see babies moving (she is a coronet so seeing them move is a feat!). I just hate that I have to work tomorrow. I really was hoping she would have her babies this weekend while I was off, but no such luck. Now I am hoping she doesn't "pop" until wednesday night or thursday sometime as I am off work.

I just want what is best for her. I have only had her since New Years Eve, but I adore her.

twilightwheek

Cavy Slave
I am definitely no expert, but the same situation happened to Tabytha Sue's previous owner, Chris. Chris got Tabythas momma from someone who said "no no, she's not pregnant! no way!" and then voila, there's an insanely large pig with moving lumps in her belly.

Chris told me she woke up in the middle of the night and there were 4 little pups in the cage, all clean and perfect, like they had been placed there on purpose.

I think maybe it's best to let nature take its course, that way Marmalade isn't freaked out at all, and can have her babies in peace.
Just my thoughts-- I wish you, and Marmalade the best! Let us know when she has her babies!

twilightwheek

Cavy Slave
oh, and I do wonder what the piglets will end up looking like... maybe you'll get a pleasant mix of long/short hair? by the way, how many are you expecting?

Farli129

Cavy Slave
Marmalade is a red and white Coronet. Chester, the dad, is a golden agouti and white Peruvian. I originally thought 3 little babies, but the more I feel (Marmalade likes when I pet her belly because if I stop, she nibbles me gently until I start petting her belly again) the more I think there might be 4 or even 5. I am a little glad that there are more because that means they will be smaller, but I don't want too many.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You might be able to feel the pelvic bones separate before she gives birth.

Make sure you have an exotics vet lined up and know what to do in case of an after hours emergency. Letting nature take its course does not always work. Complications are unfortunately common.

Good luck! I hope all goes smoothly.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Are you able to feel the outlines of the babies bodies? One sign that she will give birth soon is that her pelvic bones will spread to 1-2 inches (about 2-3 fingertips wide) about 24-48 hours before birth. Also, she may seem like she is breathing harder with no sounds to as if she has a URI.

Atleast that is what I remember noticesing when Olive had her babies.

Farli129

Cavy Slave
I can feel the outlines of the babies. I have even felt them grinding their teeth. I feel their feet kicking me. It makes me so happy and very worried at the same time. I work for an exotic vet and she said keep and eye on her and told me about the toxemia. My Marmalade is eating and drinking great. I even have an emergency vet lined up if needed. I just wanted to know what signs they have so I can know if I can get a good nights sleep or not. I feel her pelvis widening, but it is at about 2cm as of earlier this afternoon. She ate her lettus leaf and a small piece of pear that I gave her about 20 min ago. I always try to give her a small piece of fruit so that she has the extra energy to litter (not sure if this is the word for g-pigs, but it is the term for most rodents) if she needs to. Right now she is munching her Timothy hay, so I just keep an eye on her...I just want to know if I can get a full nights sleep tonight...lol. I haven't slept well in 3 nights cuz I am worrying about her...

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
From the sounds of it, there probably won't be any babies for a few days atleast. So you should be able to get some needed rest.

Farli129

Cavy Slave
*sigh of relief*

As I have said before, I don't have a whole lot of experience in Guinea Pigs. That is why I came here to ask you fine people. Thanks to all who have replied and to all that have any other info for me! You guys are awesome!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Do let us know when the babies are born. Also, let us know when mom and babies are doing well. And post pictures of the babies.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Keep the fruit limited to a very small piece each week. She can be on alfalfa-based pellets though (or another form of additional calcium).

Farli129

Cavy Slave
She is on Alfalfa pellets and the fruits are VERY small (about 1 inch cube per day from either tomato, pear or apple). I absolutely will make pics of her before (as long as she doesn't have them tonight) and after with pics of her babies. I am very excited and very nervous...

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I would only give one 1 inch cube of fruit per week. Two per week at the most, but one per day is too much. Fruit is high in sugar and can contribute to diabetes. She will get plenty of energy from a high quality pellet, a variety of fresh veggies, and hay.

Let us know when the pups are born!

Farli129

Cavy Slave
UPDATE:

no pups yet...I am waiting and waiting. She is eating like a pig (no pun intended) and happy and resting a lot. no blood, no discharge, pups still moving inside. Makes me sad that I cannot hold my Marmalade, but I pet her all the time...she is also not happy with not being held, but I don't wanna hurt her. Will let you guys know!

By the way: I have decreased the fruit. I will not give her fruit more than twice a week, but I have started giving her half a baby carrot twice a day with her greens, pepper, parsley (she isn't fond of this, but I keep trying), green beans (every other day) and brocoli slaw (shredded brocoli every 3 days)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'd cut out the broccoli slaw and give 1 broccoli floret once a week.

Farli129

Cavy Slave
alrighty...will try that. She doesn't like the florets (tried them) but I wanna do what is best for her!

Farli129

Cavy Slave
Great news! I can feel her pelvis is widening! the space is about 1.5cm as opposed to .5cm it was yesterday! Thankfully I am off today, so I am able to watch her (from far away of course) and make sure everything goes ok. After the widening, is birthing within 12-24 hours or 24-48 hours?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
alrighty...will try that. She doesn't like the florets (tried them) but I wanna do what is best for her!
If you only tried them once or twice, that's not enough. You can also cut them up too.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
After the widening, is birthing within 12-24 hours or 24-48 hours?

I think that this would depent on the individual pig but most likely 12-48 hours is more like it.

Farli129

Cavy Slave
*sigh*

No babies yet. I hope she has them either before I go to work, or after I get home from work...I worry so much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.