Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage What do you think of something like this...

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I have been thinking about redesigning my c&c. Right now it is a 2x6 with a little litter box at each end. But I was thinking about using the extra coroplast to block off a 2x1 space at the end of the cage and turning it into 2 kitchen spaces. So instead of a 2x6 with 2 little litter boxes it would be a 2x5 with a 2x1 kitchen that is divided so that they can each have thier own. In the kitchen I would put a hayrack each, a waterbottle each and a food dish each. I am thinking that if I do that it will be easier for them to run laps. I am not sure if the way I have worded this will make sense but if not I will try to put up a google sketch up design if I can get it to download.
Thanks in advance.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
How much space do the litter boxes take up?

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
They are corner litter boxes, you can sort of see it in my avatar. It basically eliminates 1 grid.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
It may be better(for space) to use the corner boxes, Or maybe if you do the 1x2 you could put maybe a pigaloo/food in the 1x2?

HayPiggy

Cavy Slave
So if you do this plan then you will take out the litter boxes??

Heady

Cavy Slave
I have been thinking about redesigning my c&c. Right now it is a 2x6 with a little litter box at each end. But I was thinking about using the extra coroplast to block off a 2x1 space at the end of the cage and turning it into 2 kitchen spaces. So instead of a 2x6 with 2 little litter boxes it would be a 2x5 with a 2x1 kitchen that is divided so that they can each have thier own. In the kitchen I would put a hayrack each, a waterbottle each and a food dish each. I am thinking that if I do that it will be easier for them to run laps. I am not sure if the way I have worded this will make sense but if not I will try to put up a google sketch up design if I can get it to download.
Thanks in advance.

I think that's a good idea...I did something similar (although since it has changed)...except I had the largest part of the cage 2X4 and two 1X1 "bumpouts" on either end where I kept litter boxes and hay racks. Kitchens, I suppose, but they didn't lose any space from it. Now the cage is a 2X5 with one "bumpout" on the far end with one litter box and the hay.

Maybe if you have extra grids you can make that 2X1 area off to the side of the cage instead of within the cage so they still have the entire 2X6 to run in.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Hay Piggy: Yes I would take out the litter boxes, the "kitchens" would double as the litter boxes.
Heady: I do have extra grids but no room on the table for there to be an overhang. Right now with the litter boxes it really only gives them a 2x4.5ish space to run in.

luvmycavies

Cavy Slave
You could build a second floor and have that be the kitchen. Then they would still have enough space to run and you would have the seperate kitchen area put thier litter boxes and such.

HayPiggy

Cavy Slave
That would be good if you could keep it at 2x6 and add to the top maybe a 2x1 kitchen area so they will have lots of room to run on the bottom and you could keep the litter boxes if you need to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.