PDA

View Full Version : Cage Midwest Cages

wbuckalew
01-17-10, 05:31 pm
I found this cage at my local pet store and was curious to what you all thought of it. Here is the link
Critter Nation (http://midwesthomesforpets.com/category/default.aspx?maincatid=27&subcat=4&submenu=0&catid=140)

I like the double cage one, but, I have also read Cavys dont like to climb. We dont have a lot of space for a sprawled out cage, so I need a more compact one that will fit 2 cavys.

Thank you!

akstrohm
01-17-10, 05:40 pm
You need a large single level--additional levels do not count toward the space requirements. This one is only 24" x 36". You need a 2x4 cage (27" x 56") or bigger.

You can make a square shape (3x3) or L-shaped cage instead if that will fit your space better. Also keep in mind that you can use grids to build a stand. This leaves lots of storage space for underneath the cage.

But you can't compromise on a large single level--they need to exercise on their own schedule, and they're not going to get along well in too little space.

wbuckalew
01-17-10, 05:43 pm
Thanks Akstrohm for your opinion. I didnt think about the single level and how small it was

sstickly22
01-17-10, 05:43 pm
Is there a concern with the grates on the ramps and upper levels? I think I heard something about this in the past but don't remember the final answer either on the 2nd level or the ladders.
Thanks

akstrohm
01-17-10, 05:44 pm
Yeah, sometimes they look much bigger in pictures!

If you need help figuring out an alternative shape or how to rearrange things to make your cage fit, feel free to ask. Many people here have come up with some very creative solutions.

lissie
01-17-10, 06:01 pm
Is there a concern with the grates on the ramps and upper levels? I think I heard something about this in the past but don't remember the final answer either on the 2nd level or the ladders.
Thanks

Guinea pigs cannot use any type of grates floor, or grates on the ramp. It will cause bumble foot. http://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

The cage the OP linked to is designed for rats, chinchillas and ferrets. Guinea pigs need solid floor. Please read this page and you will see why they need a bigger cage. Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://www.guineapigcages.com/)

If you would like to buy from Midwest rather than building C&C, they do have guinea pig cage.
Guinea Habitat (http://midwesthomesforpets.com/category/default.aspx?maincatid=27&subcat=4&submenu=0&catid=143)

rabbitsncavyluv
01-17-10, 06:46 pm
Really expensive for a tiny cage. The upper levels don't really count and many pigs won't use them.

wbuckalew
01-17-10, 07:01 pm
Thanks everyone, your imput was much needed and considered. The grates were going to get covered for the piggies safety.

rabbitsncavyluv
01-17-10, 07:15 pm
That cage is still not suitable for one guinea pig let alone two though.

It's barely 5 sq feet. We recommend 10.5 sq feet for two, or at least 7.5 sq feet for one.

Jennicat
01-17-10, 07:16 pm
Really expensive for a tiny cage. The upper levels don't really count and many pigs won't use them.

It's actually quite a huge cage for the appropriate species, but since guinea pigs are not climbers, jumpers, or gliders, it is overpriced and inappropriate for them. But my rats love them!

rabbitsncavyluv
01-17-10, 08:09 pm
Yeah I meant for guinea pigs re: the bottom level only. You can build a C&C for like $40. If you have rats, etc that will use the levels, chew and climb then it's great. But not for cavies.

I'm guessing that cage cost over $100 easy?

Jennicat
01-17-10, 09:01 pm
Yeah, they're roughly $250, which is a great deal for rats (one will hold 10 rats easily) since they're huge climbers and escape artists to boot, but not so much for piggies.

MyZoo2
01-17-10, 10:01 pm
That would be awesome for my gerbil, but not so great for the g.pigs. And, it's awfully expensive.

As a space saving option, we actually built our C&C cage on top of our dog kennels. The bonus is that they are up away from the dogs, and we used the shelving from Lowe's as a cat proof lid. And we turned the dogs kennels around the long away, which actually allowed to us to expand our cage.