Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Helllppppppp!!! Urgent!

guineapigs8683

Cavy Slave
Okay, heres the story,

I got a guinea pig for christmas and she looked FAT! she ate alot but I just thought that guinea pigs eat alot in general :crazy: I woke up this morning and there where 2 babies in here cage!! :eye-poppi I dont knw what to do or what to feed it!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

piggy love

Cavy Slave
ook do not panic...you CAN touch baby guinea pigs unlike bunnies thier mothe will care for them still..you ned to feed them alfalfa hay and an alfalfa base pellet thier mother should nurse them

The females will be able to have babies when they are about 6 weeks old. Males will be able to mate when they are about 10 weeks old. So make sure that they are separated a good time before those times because a brother guinea pig can mate with his sister! Inbreeding in a family like that is not a good idea, as it can cause genetic defects in later generations.
Baby guinea pigs cannot be separated from their mothers until 3-6 weeks after they are born. This is because the mother needs to wean them and continue feeding them with her milk. Intersting enough, baby guinea pigs can start to eat hay and dry food soon after they are born.

enjoy the little miracles!

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Okay you will need to baby proof your cage (look in the gallery for ideas). Then youo need to get alfalfa based pellets for the mom and pigs (in the mean time give some high in calcium veggies) such as parsley and kale. I don't have much experience with pregnant pigs. The babies should be eating hay and pellets when they are born. I believe you can also mix in alfalfa hay with your timothy hay.

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
Mother Nature will help take care of them, not much you need to do.

Make sure your sides on your cage are at least 10" tall if you have a C&C type grid cage so the pups can't get out or stuck.
The babies will eat the same as the mother. You can also get some Oxbow Cavie Performance pellets, but not completely necessary or some allafa hay. The mother will start to nurse them soon, if not already. Make sure there are pellets in the cage all the time.

They will start to eat solids in the next couple of days. You will need to figure out what sex the pups are soon.

The males, if any, will need to be in a separate cage no later than 21 days from now. Use Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig to help figure this out. Others might have other pointers too.

Good Luck.

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
DO NOT "switch to" alfalfa hay!!! Mama needs grass hay 24/7, and the babies can eat it too. SUPPLEMENT by ADDING alfalfa to her diet (either the hay, or use an afalfa pellet and add extra high-calcium veggies such as parsley). At the top of te medical/vet forum, you will find a whole seperate forum dealing with pregnancy and babies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.